Author Topic: Sound United acquiring Onkyo and Pioneer after D&M  (Read 2591 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Sound United acquiring Onkyo and Pioneer after D&M
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08 »
My concern is the future development and the amount of time and R&D money spent on each brands...will it be "equal" or some brand being shortchanged? By having so many prominent "household" AV brand names under one roof - it will be good with economic of scales with collective design and engineering to cherry pick from the best bunch that works and infuse those great stuff in every brands...that will be something else...but certain intrinsic values of those brands like Onkyo's authoritative sound is to be retained while replace the problematic HDMI boards with D&M tech or perhaps Pioneer and of course supplant the *utterly useless* AcuEQ Phase EQ with Audyssey *again*...I can see Onkyo benefitting more out of this whole acquisition by Sound United...Onkyo may be making a return soon.

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 15:15 »
it'll most likely to be different marques for different market。
in the TV world,if u buy a Toshiba,u're actually buying a HiSense。if u‘re buying a Metz u‘re buying a SkyWorth。no point keeping 2 brands in a single market diluting each other sales volume down。

it's like under one single platform,when u see a RHD Opel Insignia,u know u wont get to see a Holden Commodore or Vauxhall Insignia on the same land same road。in States and China,when usee a Buick Regal,u wont see a identical LHD Opel Insignia on their land on their road as well。。。

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 15:52 »
it'll most likely to be different marques for different market。
in the TV world,if u buy a Toshiba,u're actually buying a HiSense。if u‘re buying a Metz u‘re buying a SkyWorth。no point keeping 2 brands in a single market diluting each other sales volume down。

it's like under one single platform,when u see a RHD Opel Insignia,u know u wont get to see a Holden Commodore or Vauxhall Insignia on the same land same road。in States and China,when usee a Buick Regal,u wont see a identical LHD Opel Insignia on their land on their road as well。。。

Expect consolidation of assets and streamlining of brands after this.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 21:36 »
If this is true, perhaps the next Onkyo will use back Audyssey Multi-XT32 instead of the disastrous AccuEQ Phase Room EQ for the Onkyo.
 ;D

Maybe the other way around. No need to spend money for Audyssey license for all the brands since they have AccuEQ

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 21:39 »

Maybe the other way around. No need to spend money for Audyssey license for all the brands since they have AccuEQ

Agreed...it can happen too. But if this is really gonna be the case, then I’ll say good luck to D&M products for using AccuEQ phase. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jonlee

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 08:54 »
Agreed...it can happen too. But if this is really gonna be the case, then I’ll say good luck to D&M products for using AccuEQ phase. LoL

How's AccuEQ compared to Yamaha's YPAO?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56 »
How's AccuEQ compared to Yamaha's YPAO?

Both are equally bad imo. But that’s just me. I could be wrong.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 21:37 »
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/sound-united-conference-new-orleans

"Duffy emphasized that Sound United is committed to maintaining differentiation among the brand identities of each audio company. To that end, each brand has its own brand manager within Sound United to ensure that a strong portfolio of companies doesn’t lead to the products with different badges. In fact, the companies are to a degree run, as separate entities to enforce those individual identities. "
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 06:26 »
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/sound-united-conference-new-orleans

"Duffy emphasized that Sound United is committed to maintaining differentiation among the brand identities of each audio company. To that end, each brand has its own brand manager within Sound United to ensure that a strong portfolio of companies doesn’t lead to the products with different badges. In fact, the companies are to a degree run, as separate entities to enforce those individual identities. "

While it’s good to maintain separate brand identity but I would like to see in the near future is the amalgamation of technology across the product range, especially on the room EQ portion. Hardware and sound signature can be retained but ALL will benefit with better room EQ.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 10:46 »
hope there is a chance that they will consider the other room EQ like Dirac on their more premium products....

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 12:11 »
hope there is a chance that they will consider the other room EQ like Dirac on their more premium products....

Yes, Dirac will be feasible.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 12:17 »
I would think audyssey is here to stay with D&M, they are much invested in the system. And audyssey is pretty good as a room eq. Dirac licensing may cost more and it seems they have not standardised their implementations for different platforms. 

Online Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 12:35 »
this is why DIRAC is standardizing their implementation with the newer chips and that save them troubles as well. all OEMs will be having the same codes and OEMs will just need to implement.
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Ref 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp

Offline reno77

• Snr Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 20:47 »
Looks like the deal didnt go through ...
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/05/sound-united-onkyo/