Author Topic: Sound United acquiring Onkyo and Pioneer after D&M  (Read 2592 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Wow...didn't expect that coming. While it has not been confirmed yet...but Sound United is poised to acquire Onkyo and Pioneer brands into their control...if this really comes true, Sound United is going to be Lord of the "AV King" - "One Ring to rule them all"!

Excerpt: "In a major move that’s sure to reverberate through the entire AV industry, Sound United has entered a “term sheet” agreement to acquire Onkyo Home Audio. If the deal goes through, that brings Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer and Pioneer Elite brands under the same roof as Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive technology, HEOS, Classé and Boston Acoustics..."

Source #1: https://www.avsforum.com/sound-united-enters-agreement-acquire-onkyo-home-audio/
Source #2: https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/15/sound-united-buys-onkyo-home-audio/

If this is true, perhaps the next Onkyo will use back Audyssey Multi-XT32 instead of the disastrous AccuEQ Phase Room EQ for the Onkyo.

;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 13:13 by desray »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Re: Sound United acquiring Onkyo and Pioneer after D&M
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 13:13 »
It's an indication that the market is shrinking, and the consolidator has appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 13:15 »
It's an indication that the market is shrinking, and the consolidator has appeared.

+1...the survivor of the fittest and whoever has the biggest capital outlay to acquire. Will we be see a "One Uniform User Interface" across ALL the AV Amps/Receivers in time to come? Hmmm...

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 14:09 »
AVR will be a thing of the past in 10 yrs time is my guess

No more volumes just like CD n Blu Ray players
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline Jagdpanzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • HT & Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 14:49 »
How can Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer survive in same roof?

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 15:26 »
U missed one out. Marantz.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 18:20 »
I wonder issit for better or for worse?

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 18:51 »
Better to the brand owner, bad news to the consumers.
Currently, Marantz n Denon are built in Vietnam, with its highest end products built in Japan. Onkyo with Pioneer entry product built in Vietnam, mid-low and above products built in Malaysia.
Brand classification will likely to determine its class like in the world of timepieces.
If Pioneer gets classed as entry level brand like Tissot, Onkyo and Denon into mid class like Rado and Longines, Marantz into high end brand like Omega... Malaysia plant can be shut down as wages goes up, low end product can be moved to Cambodia or Myanmar for production, while Vietnam is matured enuff to make mid end brand and products as Denon and Marantz under the current brand ownership had built up its technical foundations.
Higher-end brand and products still be produced in Japan or perhaps Taiwan since both governments are much friendlier to the European groups, without having the concerns that the mainland China government will steal their technology.

Costs, politics are 2 major factor that affects a corporation growth.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 21:26 »
After Grab ousted out Uber, coupons stopped, price hiked. We can imagine how the future will be.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 21:49 »
So the consensus seems bleak for the future based on what members are saying.

Online rayleh

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 22:48 »
Maybe need to get a non main stream brand in future.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 23:31 »
More exciting in fact, as people can now focus out of the conventional choices such as anthem, arcam, audio control, emotiva ...

Online rayleh

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 23:56 »
More exciting in fact, as people can now focus out of the conventional choices such as anthem, arcam, audio control, emotiva ...

Totally agreed!

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 00:12 »
eventually。。。it's the affordability and ease of use that wins most consumers attention。

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 00:25 »
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/15/sound-united-buys-onkyo-home-audio/

Actually we all have to adapt, think positive and move on..

The old 5.1 systems were never really replaced by Atmos / DTS etc... our homes are getting smaller, and the WAF factor plays a far bigger role. Soundbars rule, and wireless speakers are the mainstay of many homes. Streaming and it's convenience is more important than sound quality. Our forum has also gotten more quiet over the past ten years.

A system with wires dangling everywhere is no longer a mainstay in homes.

No doubt choice is important, and having all the companies under one roof is not ideal. But in reality we often use components that have been shared by many companies already. Burr Brown makes chips for many companies and so do Sharc etc.

So like VW, who produces similar cars branded as Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda, we may see different product lines, streamlined with similar components but different sonic signatures.

These mainstream brands will always be more agile and at the forefront of the AV industry. The smaller players adapt less quickly and won't have the capacity for firmware updates like the larger ones. Emotiva's processor is still a work in progress. Anthem has been going from strength to strength, and that's good.
Other brands like HK, Sherwood etc are part of larger companies now.

But the key is that we continue to spend, to replace and the money we spend will allow R&D, which then translates into new toys and new tech for all of us to try.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 00:27 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08 »
My concern is the future development and the amount of time and R&D money spent on each brands...will it be "equal" or some brand being shortchanged? By having so many prominent "household" AV brand names under one roof - it will be good with economic of scales with collective design and engineering to cherry pick from the best bunch that works and infuse those great stuff in every brands...that will be something else...but certain intrinsic values of those brands like Onkyo's authoritative sound is to be retained while replace the problematic HDMI boards with D&M tech or perhaps Pioneer and of course supplant the *utterly useless* AcuEQ Phase EQ with Audyssey *again*...I can see Onkyo benefitting more out of this whole acquisition by Sound United...Onkyo may be making a return soon.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 15:15 »
it'll most likely to be different marques for different market。
in the TV world,if u buy a Toshiba,u're actually buying a HiSense。if u‘re buying a Metz u‘re buying a SkyWorth。no point keeping 2 brands in a single market diluting each other sales volume down。

it's like under one single platform,when u see a RHD Opel Insignia,u know u wont get to see a Holden Commodore or Vauxhall Insignia on the same land same road。in States and China,when usee a Buick Regal,u wont see a identical LHD Opel Insignia on their land on their road as well。。。

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 15:52 »
it'll most likely to be different marques for different market。
in the TV world,if u buy a Toshiba,u're actually buying a HiSense。if u‘re buying a Metz u‘re buying a SkyWorth。no point keeping 2 brands in a single market diluting each other sales volume down。

it's like under one single platform,when u see a RHD Opel Insignia,u know u wont get to see a Holden Commodore or Vauxhall Insignia on the same land same road。in States and China,when usee a Buick Regal,u wont see a identical LHD Opel Insignia on their land on their road as well。。。

Expect consolidation of assets and streamlining of brands after this.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 21:36 »
If this is true, perhaps the next Onkyo will use back Audyssey Multi-XT32 instead of the disastrous AccuEQ Phase Room EQ for the Onkyo.
 ;D

Maybe the other way around. No need to spend money for Audyssey license for all the brands since they have AccuEQ

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 21:39 »

Maybe the other way around. No need to spend money for Audyssey license for all the brands since they have AccuEQ

Agreed...it can happen too. But if this is really gonna be the case, then I’ll say good luck to D&M products for using AccuEQ phase. LoL

Offline jonlee

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 08:54 »
Agreed...it can happen too. But if this is really gonna be the case, then I’ll say good luck to D&M products for using AccuEQ phase. LoL

How's AccuEQ compared to Yamaha's YPAO?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56 »
How's AccuEQ compared to Yamaha's YPAO?

Both are equally bad imo. But that’s just me. I could be wrong.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 21:37 »
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/sound-united-conference-new-orleans

"Duffy emphasized that Sound United is committed to maintaining differentiation among the brand identities of each audio company. To that end, each brand has its own brand manager within Sound United to ensure that a strong portfolio of companies doesn’t lead to the products with different badges. In fact, the companies are to a degree run, as separate entities to enforce those individual identities. "
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 06:26 »
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/sound-united-conference-new-orleans

"Duffy emphasized that Sound United is committed to maintaining differentiation among the brand identities of each audio company. To that end, each brand has its own brand manager within Sound United to ensure that a strong portfolio of companies doesn’t lead to the products with different badges. In fact, the companies are to a degree run, as separate entities to enforce those individual identities. "

While it’s good to maintain separate brand identity but I would like to see in the near future is the amalgamation of technology across the product range, especially on the room EQ portion. Hardware and sound signature can be retained but ALL will benefit with better room EQ.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 10:46 »
hope there is a chance that they will consider the other room EQ like Dirac on their more premium products....

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 12:11 »
hope there is a chance that they will consider the other room EQ like Dirac on their more premium products....

Yes, Dirac will be feasible.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 12:17 »
I would think audyssey is here to stay with D&M, they are much invested in the system. And audyssey is pretty good as a room eq. Dirac licensing may cost more and it seems they have not standardised their implementations for different platforms. 

Online Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 12:35 »
this is why DIRAC is standardizing their implementation with the newer chips and that save them troubles as well. all OEMs will be having the same codes and OEMs will just need to implement.
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Ref 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp

Offline reno77

• Snr Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 20:47 »
Looks like the deal didnt go through ...
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/05/sound-united-onkyo/