Author Topic: How does false ceiling affect the sound from speakers?  (Read 669 times)

Offline ryanchong

• Trade Count: (0)
Is false wall and false ceiling a good bass absorber?

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
Re: How does false ceiling affect the sound from speakers?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:43 »
I can only speak about false ceiling. An unstuffed false ceiling is not a good bass absorber. It becomes a resonator at some bass frequencies. I have experienced 2 type of false ceiling. Those single level but hollow, and another type that is stepped with hidden diffused lighting in the steps. Both were bad for music with the latter worse. Sound got trapped in the lighting spaces, muddying the sound.

Offline ryanchong

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:55 »
Thanks for the feedback! Doing my house and planning some false ceilings. what's the best way to manage the situation ? Any views from people with similar experiences?

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:59 »
In my Reno I purposely didn’t do any false anything. All free standing lights and furniture throughout the house. I used 8mm Glass in all windows too. No regrets. I gutted out all the false this and that and found nothing worth saving at all before I moved in. Best audio decision I have made.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:01 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ryanchong

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 22:04 »
Thanks for all the feedback, I will minimize false ceiling and box up units too.