Author Topic: New bluray player Phillips bdp9700  (Read 99022 times)

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
Re: New bluray player Phillips bdp9700
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2017, 16:35 »
good price...
y not?
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline Began

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2017, 16:51 »
If there is a promo at $399, is it worth buying?
i will pay a bit more and get a UHD player instead. Unless there are special features you require only this player have.

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2017, 17:09 »
Doesn't have uhd tv and projector

Offline Began

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2017, 17:16 »
Me too and probably your next TV or Projector will be 4K. 

Offline audioworld2011

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2017, 17:36 »
If there is a promo at $399, is it worth buying?
Still can find this player? Most of the HN no stock anymore.

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2017, 19:38 »
Suntec still has 1 set + 1 on display. Probably clearing stock? My friend said he saw CNY brochure selling for $399 or $359. Don't know whether that is true

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2017, 21:51 »
Confirm Harvey Norman Hougang selling for $349. This price actually quite steady. Lol!

Offline Vincent Yap

« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2017, 08:28 »
To all who own this BDP or to those considering selling, I would like to share some tips I had done to make this a wonderful player again.

This BDP is well known for much problems that many of us are facing thats is why we can get it at such a reasonable low price given the capability. I have been using this player as a transport for CD and Bluray through a NAD M51 DAC via Coaxial or HDMI for more than 2 years already and the sound and picture is consider very good to me given the price point I had paid for this BDP. I used it mostly as a CD transport (temporary) till I find a worthy unit that i am willing to pay for it as I am considering a dedicated CD transport. So for those who own this player, you may want to give it a try.

The things I have done are very simple and very logical, and everyone who can use a screw driver will be able to perform the task. No soldering or modifying is required. Just open up the top cover of the player and do the following.

The trick I am performing is by isolating the power supply in the player.
In this player there are actually 2 power supply system, (Switching and Toroidal PS) and 2 system, Multi Channel PreAmp DAC and digital Transport BDP.
So what I have done is removed the power supply to the toroidal transformer which is powering the DAC and not in used.
I immediately power up the BDP and give it a try, worrying that it may not power up as it may have some link to the display circuit and controls. My worry was not a concern, in fact, it surprises me so much that it makes my entire system sound so good that I could not have imagine that this BDP is capable of very much more expensive player. The performance increase is not subtle at all. It makes the entire system alive. important Note, remove the power supply to the toroidal transformer, not on the DAC circuit board. The effect is different and much better.

Another trick I had done is removing the WIFI CARD power supply. This BDP is WIFI capable, however, I don't use them, more importantly after the first trick, I want to further conserve electric power just for the transport only. So what I did is just very simple, remove the cable connecting to the WIFI card. The result is that the sound is even better, maybe due to my believe on my first trick, but what I believe this trick really solve is the firmware issue that many of us faces. After the removal of the wifi card, my controls to the BDP is so responsive, which compare in the past, have to press many times before a command on the remote or panels of BDP starts to work and sometimes hang the entire player. We all are trying to isolate EMI and RFI in our system, why would we want WIFI signal right inside our player. So, for those owners who don't own a DAC, you may one to perform this trick and see if this helps you lessen your frustrations on the controls.

I perform this tricks for more than 2 months already, I am really happy by how much it can really perform. I am enjoying back all my old disc again. For the time being, I don't think I will be looking for a CD Transport at the moment. Understanding the logic, this tricks not only can be performed on this BDP, you can also try it on other player if the circuit board design is separate internally.  I have not share on or touch on the picture quality as I use it mainly as CD transport now for listen to audio, I believe it should also greatly enhanced on the picture quality. And for bros who owns both this BDP and OPPO or any high end player, please do a comparison and share the result with us here after performing this trick.

I hope everyone enjoy my post, this is my first time sharing, I am no expert here. Try it on your own risk.

Enjoy!

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2017, 14:33 »
Im using the replica jailbreak version of 9700 without disk drive but with modded power circuit block, using hdsir jailbreak firmware. PQ and SQ still blow off my Pioneer LX55. Im very satisfy with this machine, although the jailbreak version is not that stable than other MTK machine. But with its value and performance ratio, the money worth to spend.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 14:36 by kelvinsin »
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2018, 01:06 »
It was 2013 that we saw the last launch of high-end machine from Philips...
https://www.philips.com.sg/c-m-so/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/blu-ray-player/all#filters=BLURAY_DISC_PLAYERS_SU%2C2013&sliders=&support=&price=&priceBoxes=&page=&layout=12.newest.p-grid-icon

5yrs passed... what's the new thing going to be???
Depending on these?

The Other 2 "P"s(Pioneer and Panny) can piss on u oredi!!!

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2018, 13:35 »
I had compare mine diy 9700 with dune solo 4k and oppo 103, i still chose 9700 and now its still serve strong in my system.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P

Offline otomato

• Snr Member
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2019, 22:43 »
can this player plays region free blu rays?

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2019, 12:38 »
can this player plays region free blu rays?
Yes if jailbreak.

Offline manman

« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2019, 21:24 »
Just bought from lazada only sgd300, disconnect internal transformer power, sound like sgd10k cd transport

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2019, 18:23 »
Sold by KEC right?
Voltage issit still 220v~240v? I'm just concern if these are not RgionA/3 local sets...