Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Setting up NEW BenQ 5700 PJ from Scratch N Considerations  (Read 14457 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Desray is spot on, don’t expect the HDR to be magical, I had a hard time dialing in the BenQ 5700 HDR10, but I think I’ve finally nailed it with the right balance hitting the sweet spot for gamma on this BenQ .  it’s not jaw dropping stuff, but will have to make do. Lowered my expectations

Out of the box, the Rec709 looks way way nicer than HDR, comparing Apple to Apple content on the spears and munsil disc. On REC709 I’ve pushed for the deepest black settings without losing shadow details, the above second version settings are the best

Pictures looked washed out in HDR, when tone mapping kicks in. Was advised not to touch contrast controls due to tone mapping feature but I am wrong, it needs to be adjusted for sure, it’s not the same as OLED tv for tone mapping

At above 55% grayscale, tone mapping takes over on the BenQ 5700.calibration for grayscale should only be focused up to 50% grayscale mark

Colour gamut turned on is a must as well to at least hit the saturation targets.  The colour wheels are good, no problem and CMS controls works nicely here, colours are very good on the BenQ

Almost done and will share my experience soon...

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Hope u can get the best result bro! It must be a big adjustment to make for u, coming from your C7 for the HDR performance. :)

If HDR calibrated results are not so ideal, was thinking, will converting HDR to BT2020 SDR will yield a better overall PQ for the 5700? (i'm assuming it has this function...)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 22:09 by sevenz »

Offline ronildoq

Hope u can get the best result bro! It must be a big adjustment to make for u, coming from your C7 for the HDR performance. :)

If HDR calibrated results are not so ideal, was thinking, will converting HDR to BT2020 SDR will yield a better overall PQ for the 5700? (i'm assuming it has this function...)

Yes indeed! U r right, still struggling to find the right balance for HDR on the BenQ. Calibrated for grayscale and I see much better improvement in quality but the luminance feature part changes things. There is one setting however to bring that balance back , the HDR brightness settings. This part adjusts luminance when HDR kicks in

This downconvert function is available on the Oppo player. U can choose under HDR video settings, strip metadata and it will downsample to SDR . But you gotta go with wide colour gamut, and when u choose this option, it will sacrifice light output, which in my opinion is not ideal. So rec709 without WCG turned on is much better

I have also played around by sending only RGB limited Color space to the BenQ, so it doesn’t need processing from Y’CbCr 4:4:4. Nice balance with headroom there.

Still comparing the quality, not really happy with HDR

SDR is final, as above, reference stuff, very very good .

Offline ronildoq

Ok some of the pics, just comparing in HDR, much more natural now, less saturated. I haven’t finalised, but so much improvement after the calibration , 135” is just so immersive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

Bro Sevenz, I’ll try and test one tonight, captain marvel scene where she goes into binary form, that one is the best to test specular highlights on HDR

I’ll compare using the same content, except one is the stripped metadata version in SDR rec709 , and the other will be the HDR version using tone mapping and Color mapping...

Still in testing phase for HDR now on BenQ. Change settings compare, rinse and repeat until I see one that looks best . Very nice the spears and munsil disc has various materials so u r not caught up with adjusting for good video for one scene, but bad for the other... u can strike a nice balance with the demo materials available

Offline sevenz

Ooo great work! :) Must have spent lots of manhours & hard work.

The colors seems to look better now compared to out of box. But it may be also due to my phone's screen too haha....

Offline ronildoq

Ooo great work! :) Must have spent lots of manhours & hard work.

The colors seems to look better now compared to out of box. But it may be also due to my phone's screen too haha....

No, it is really better. U r correct out of the box HDR CMI, exactly how we saw it during demo. But wit calibration, it’s so much more natural and nicer now. In fact at times it feels nicer than the OLED as it is not too bright. So no eye fatigue.

The focus is really on calibration up to 50% grayscale, that’s what matters , beyond that let the BenQ auto mapping feature handle it. Once we do that, then all start to fall into place

On our OLED C7, the levels are up to 70% grayscale, beyond 70%, we let our LG OLED tone mapping handle it. And the CMS module on OLED is bricked. The BenQ CMS module works! So the pictures look much much nicer and more natural, black levels are also surprisingly good from a DLP with the dynamic iris on

In my experience above, luminance has much more impact to the picture compared to hitting accurate colour saturation targets . I compared many times and in fact got an independent assessment from my Son, which picture looks nicer, one with wide Colour Gamut on and another without . In both instances, WCG turned off was the clear winner . Sacrificing light output for wide colour is not worth it

Offline ronildoq

Ok finally completed HDR calibration, it’s just some settings done and calibration for white balance and Colour management module in HDR10 video mode(the only video mode available for HDR playback ).

Since I’m using the Oppo 205, ive set under the video settings to output RGB limited, instead of auto. So I’ll let Oppo handle the colour conversions, instead of the BenQ

Main settings as above. I didn’t touch the contrast controls , since I brought the brightness levels down

Secondly, for the white balance adj, I didn’t touch green, as changing green affects the luminance , I try and leave that one out

With brightness controls brought down 3 steps, I increased the HDR brightness to +1, finding that balance with HDR content

Dynamic iris set to high and brilliant colour turned on, I turned off wide Colour Gamut, with this turned off, I wasn’t able to hit the Color saturation targets for green, but that is ok. I find light output getting those nits out from w5700 is much much more pleasant

Light mode set to normal.

Colour enhancer set to 8, similar to SDR but pixel enhancer 4K I set it to 2 instead of the default 5, pics look much more natural, 3 is also ok, but 2 looks best to me, most natural

Here is the result of that settings above

Gamma is tracking nicely to the HDR10 projector curve used by chromapure , as can be seen above, beyond 50%, tone mapping takes over on the w5700

Offline ronildoq

Next up with colours

Green is where I was struggling to hit the targets previously. But I left it as it is without Wide colour gamut turned on

That’s yellow below

Here below is the result of the calibration , calibrated at 50% intensity and 50% saturation targets on REC2020 for HDR10

The overall ST2084 tracking on the BenQ isn’t as good as the OLED C7 I was using, but will make do, it’s a sacrifice and one that is worth, with the bigger screen image  that is just so immersive.

Skin tones look very natural now

That contrast on the suit

Specular highlights, very nice blend, not eye sore. Just nice, doesn’t feel too bright like the OLED

Other shots above

That’s it! That is the end of the HDR calibration journey with the BenQ 5700.

Next up I’ll share how I dial in 7.8.8 on the lyngdorf mp50, this time slightly different with 4x F18 handling LFE and 4x seas 10” handling stereo bass.

Integration is the most difficult ! Lol, but thank god I have REW to verify

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 23:02 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Oh ya, worth mentioning that the above settings I did was calibration from Oppo 205 directly to the W5700.

As for Apple TV I’m using for Netflix, that goes through to a second hdmi on lyngdorf and then to 5700, since I’m using Xbox, satellite tv free to air, REW measurements, all others go through the lyngdorf

That’s a different set of settings, but generally didn’t deviate much from the original above , some slight adjustments since colour space conversion etc emanating from MP50

Offline sevenz

Ooh nice! Finally the hard work paid off! ;)

0.5 dE on primary colours is very good already :)

Greyscale /RGB on HDR - how many point calibration was used? 1.9 dE is not too bad. ;)

Useful to run greyscale ramp patterns to visually d.check if there is any obvious tint problem on the ramp. Sometimes RGB dE can be good but the grey ramp show tint.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 14:06 by sevenz »

Offline ronildoq

Ooh nice. 0.5 dE on primary colours is very good already :)

Greyscale /RGB on HDR - how many point calibration u used? 1.9 dE is not too bad if there isn't obvious tint to any colors.

Yes it’s good for HDR10 now, definitely way way better than out of the box settings

12 point calibration for grayscale, I only focus on the Low end, as u can see from my calibration approach, I focus mainly on 10-50% grayscale.

I didn’t use any of the auto features, all manual calibration with spears and munsil disc, the Ray masciola disk for HDR10 colours at 50% intensity 50% saturation

Finally happy with SDR and HDR now.... now switching off video mode, going into sound mode next ... hahahaha

Offline ronildoq

Just watched some YouTube on 135”, totally mesmerised, bass is damn solid ... I myself drool man... haven’t even calibrated for audio, So good !!

Check out the Korean band black pink! See the skin tone after calibration, what a beauty ! Ehem... I meant the Korean singer, not the BenQ 5700! ;)

Motion is not too bad, sports scenes also very good!

Offline ronildoq

Now that I’ve gotten video side of things out of the way, it’s time to get to the complicated side of things. Audio!

What’s different now is the addition of two new pairs of L26roy 10” woofers, and a centre speaker that sits behind an Acoustic Transparent (AT) screen {response is different}. The addition of these woofers changes things, optimisation is slightly more complicated with 8 overheads and 8 subs, but we will get there.

Just finished our holidays and family stuff etc, it’s time to resume this week and get it completed

In my past experience, I’ve always focused on amplitude response/frequency response/tonal balance ( they all mean the same), Harmonic distortion, SNR (Dynamics). Recently, I added more focus onto lowering the noise floor, and trying to meet the room criterion suggested by experts. And it does help, the built as you can see, is done so as to make the entire front wall work effectively as a bass trap, there is a lot of benefit with this approach, apart from a reduced noise floor level

All the above, can be seen on frequency response graph and I was optimising and listening to various combinations over and over again, looking at only the amplitude response graph. Little did I realise, this is only 1/4 of the story that I have grown so accustomed to. I’ve been so confident, that’s the best approach, and I stop at there, once the tonal balance is right. And I’ve even calibrated it to reference for tonal balance, as you can see from my pic below, it’s close to a perfect tonally balanced target below

Enter Lyngdorf MP50, what followed was a surprising discovery on my journey with one word to rule them all, TIMING . I’ve discovered that most of us don’t look at the timing aspect of audio, maybe cos it’s much more complicated , and indeed it is!! But with the advancement in tech and software, it’s much better and easier now, something we don’t have 10 years ago.

What’s different with the above is that the amplitude corrections provide a tonal balance that is nice, BUT it also provides a ringing that feels “longer” and “slower” , sort of like overshot type of bass lingering around, highly audible especially on the lower frequencies, even in a bigger living room. The “stop” part is where it muddies the sound, and this is when we go, this subwoofer feels slow.

With a time aligned subwoofer, it will provide for a much tighter bass, deeper sound stage, precise imaging , a sense of realism with 3D depth , textured bass in layers mainly because all the drivers and impulse move and stop at the same time. This is critical, to bringing up the entire system up to the next level. How fast it stops, that’s where the quality comes in.

In short, the arrival of the first waveform to both ears is absolutely critical , it rules above anything else.

This is why advocate that folks, don’t worry too much on the frequency response or tonal balance, focus instead on the timing aspects of every speakers and woofers and tweeters...

To be resumed ...

Offline ronildoq

Just finished the system integration last night, into the wee hours , mighty impressive

I’ll be sharing soon how this is done and how I believe the best approach to EQ and full system integration should be done, amazing stuff !

Let’s get to the methodology behind, stats, quantitative measurements, analysis and actual listening

I haven’t done the actual listening, but quick listening, it’s promising. The numbers don’t lie