Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Setting up NEW BenQ 5700 PJ from Scratch N Considerations  (Read 10309 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
I’ve been a very satisfied and happy man, enjoying my HT system, having completed my journey

1. Calibrating the subwoofers & system
2. Video calibration on OLED
3. Integrating the systems using Dirac
4. Integrating the systems using Room Perfect with Atmos
5. REW
6. Room Acoustics with SMT/BAD & Room Criterion

In all my approach, I always look to calibrate the system to reference, then tweak to preference. This has been my method and goal.

The main motivation behind the upgrade this time round, is due to the Screen Size, and yes! Size does matter, and it should match the overall sound stage. My current 65' OLED just feels too small now, its nice, but just cannot give me the WOW when it comes to viewing experience.

Having said that, the real thing that WOW'ed me, was how it looked(in terms of screen size) + Sound emanating from Screen. This experience was phenomenal , the vocals are like anchored and move along the screen, absolutely critical and instrumental in me deciding to go ahead with this New BenQ 5700 PJ, along with using an Acoustic Transparent Screen. i wont touch about the PJ, as that is covered on the BenQ thread. What ill try to do , is to share my experience here on implementation, on how i intend to set this display up in my hall, so i hope with this, everyone will benefit. As usual,  feel free to shoot and advice, as much, for the benefit of everyone here. its my first PJ, and i am thankful i have a lot of good friends in the forum constantly helping me and giving me tons of ideas. Cheers guys! Thanks a lot!

Lets get down to the Basic. This is the option for layout in my room, so decided to go ahead with 135' diagonal after checking out viewing distance from 4.1m away from screen.

I shipped in the Elite AEON AT screens from Amazon after going through tons of videos and reviews online. https://www.amazon.com/d/Projector-Screens/Elite-Screens-Aeon-AUHD-135-inch/B071K9WCRP

Unfortunately, there isnt any Ambient Light Rejection Screens with AT screen, its Either Or. It was a tough choice, but i couldn't forget that experience of the Centre Channel Speakers behind the AT screen, it was embedded in my mind, so the choice was pretty obvious. Plus, it looked good with a stunning EDGE FREE Design! Lightweight and Easy to Assemble Split Aluminum Frame.

Here is another video of assembly, looks pretty easy to DIY

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ympL4A93-UU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ympL4A93-UU&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FrVMcA6EunE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FrVMcA6EunE&fs=1</a>

The screen is on its way from USA, and in the mean time, i am planning on how to do this, based on the diagram above on the front wall. Ill be engaging the same contractor who did the grid system for me, he is quite experienced. So happy to go with his services.

Here is another Video id like to share on Light Control, what it brings to the set up experience, its only a few seconds, but this video just explains everything, especially to a Noob like me, implementing PJ for the first time.... Brilliant Stuff, thanks Gavin for sharing

https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/posts/1692721894385217/

To be continued.....

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
Bro ,congra . With  At screen will  bring your current setup to the next level . ;D

Offline ronildoq

Bro ,congra . With  At screen will  bring your current setup to the next level . ;D

Thanks bro, require lotsa patience and reading etc to get everything as accurate as possible, including dimensions , placements, light control options, even the horizontal speakers, hopefully no horizontal lobing issues behind the AT screen with that MA GXC350 speakers , fingers crossed

Unfortunately can’t go with speaker upgrade of my choice, otherwise will sidetrack from the main objective and start another upgrading process that never ends. So Now just deal with what I have and be contented and focus with getting the screen up and the PJ calibrated for a good immersive experience

The AT screen is really the way to go, after listening at Gavin’s and then re affirming again at Ralfale’s place...

Slightly more work required to implement, some sacrifices on the OLED moving into room, but I still think it’s worth it

This time I’ll flank the centre channels with all 4 SMTs, then back wall fully covered with rockwool, and leave room for future upgrades on subwoofers hiding grind the baffle wall...

This should be really end game for me, as iron man puts it, “ Part of the journey is the end”....

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Congrats on your new toy...enjoy!

Offline ronildoq

Congrats on your new toy...enjoy!

Thanks desray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

In the meantime, while awaiting the arrival of the elite screen from USA , did some searching around, and feedback from other users... here is what this owner went through....

Quote:

The screen was delivered well packaged. The instructions are fairly easy. Here are a few photos and tips on my installation and assembly process.

Once my frame was assembled I elected to position it on the wall by temporarily holding it up with drywall screws. Once satisfied with the position I them marked and drilled the 4 mounting holes through the brackets before attaching the screen’s fabric. This is much easier than having to fumble and measure the distance between each bracket from behind the screen after the fabric has been attached.

I also had to changed out the plastic (white) wall anchors that came with the screen. The factory wall anchors twisted right through the drywall when I attempted to turn in the phillips head screws. My theory is the screws were too large a diameter to fit the anchors. I just went with a standard tap in wall anchor instead.

Regarding the screen’s mounting brackets, once I was satisfied with the location/position of the metal frame on my wall I applied a bead of silicone (black in my case) to each mounting bracket and let it dry. This will keep your mounting brackets from sliding on the metal frame’s channel when you finally mount the completed screen assembly to your wall.

I must say the springs that attach the screen’s fabric to the frame are no fun to install. The company provides with a metal wire hook that is used to loop around one end of the spring as you pull the spring from the metal frame to each designated hole in the screen’s fabric. I used a glove for this step as the thin wire of the hook dug in to my index finger. Unfortunately the wire loop held by your finger as your pulling unwound after a few tugs. Important: It is best to wear goggles during this assembly process as these little springs have a lot of tension and could easily launch into an eye if they inadvertently disconnect during the assembly process. Good luck.

Unquote

Here are some pics on assembly

Offline ronildoq

Some pictures on end product, from other users of the AEON Elite edge free series..

I have some consideration to go with bias lights behind the screen, and masking tape can be used if need, down to personal preference... I’ll most likely try and go with edge free, I like how the edge free design looks and how dimmed bias lights fits behind the screen, they improve contrast as far as my eyes can tell

This one looks slim and nice, but mine will most likely not be this as I’ll have the speakers behind the AT screen

Some others who have completed with bias lightings below

Offline ronildoq

Next up, mounting the projector....

Since i have a nice slot behind the stacked seatons, sitting right in the middle of the grid system, it made perfect sense to mount a cabinet to house the PJ

One nice slot here in between the SMT wings....

Looking at distance for 135”, I reckon 5.3m would be the perfect distance from lens to screen.. just nice

Then comes mounting options, either using a flat platform like this below

Or

Ceiling mount

Or wall mount

What is your experience? Will the platform / PJ start rattling, it’s sitting exactly above the 18” stacked seatons.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Offline Ccyao

I was having the same consideration but with more constraints as my room is only 3.5m long with a ceiling fan mounted in the middle of the room.
So ceiling mount is out for me.

I also considered the convenience during air-con servicing and in case of air-con leak when I need to remove the projector quickly.

After googled around for ideas and of-the-shelf solutions, I ended up doing a diy pipe shelf.
It is very steady but of course I do not have any sub at the back.

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
@ccyao where did you source the pipes and end pieces from?
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Ccyao

Found it in Carousell.

[Pipe Shelf] Too Many Design Can't Fit To Picture, Please Come Our Place To See for S$30 https://sg.carousell.com/p/52864811

"Hi. Our shop address:
53 Ubi ave 1 #05-06 S(408934)
Nearest MRT Macpherson station.
Operating hr: mon-friday 9.30am-6.30pm, sat 9.30am-7pm, sun 9am-2pm.
We accept cash/nets/paylah/paynow.

Jack, 91788796

By walking from macpherson mrt.
Once enter block 53, you will see a security counter. Use the lift beside to come level 5

By driving. Look for block 53 and direct drive your vehicle up to level 5, unit #05-06

When you at #05-06, look for small side door. Open the door, take the lift and come showroon at level 6."

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline ronildoq

I was having the same consideration but with more constraints as my room is only 3.5m long with a ceiling fan mounted in the middle of the room.

I also considered the convenience during air-con servicing and in case of air-con leak when I need to remove the projector quickly.

After googled around for ideas and of-the-shelf solutions, I ended up doing a diy pipe shelf.

Nice sharing ccyao! Looks great !

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
In the meantime, while awaiting the arrival of the elite screen from USA , did some searching around, and feedback from other users... here is what this owner went through....

Quote:

The screen was delivered well packaged. The instructions are fairly easy. Here are a few photos and tips on my installation and assembly process.

Once my frame was assembled I elected to position it on the wall by temporarily holding it up with drywall screws. Once satisfied with the position I them marked and drilled the 4 mounting holes through the brackets before attaching the screen’s fabric. This is much easier than having to fumble and measure the distance between each bracket from behind the screen after the fabric has been attached.

I also had to changed out the plastic (white) wall anchors that came with the screen. The factory wall anchors twisted right through the drywall when I attempted to turn in the phillips head screws. My theory is the screws were too large a diameter to fit the anchors. I just went with a standard tap in wall anchor instead.

Regarding the screen’s mounting brackets, once I was satisfied with the location/position of the metal frame on my wall I applied a bead of silicone (black in my case) to each mounting bracket and let it dry. This will keep your mounting brackets from sliding on the metal frame’s channel when you finally mount the completed screen assembly to your wall.

I must say the springs that attach the screen’s fabric to the frame are no fun to install. The company provides with a metal wire hook that is used to loop around one end of the spring as you pull the spring from the metal frame to each designated hole in the screen’s fabric. I used a glove for this step as the thin wire of the hook dug in to my index finger. Unfortunately the wire loop held by your finger as your pulling unwound after a few tugs. Important: It is best to wear goggles during this assembly process as these little springs have a lot of tension and could easily launch into an eye if they inadvertently disconnect during the assembly process. Good luck.

Unquote

Here are some pics on assembly

I would like to share about mounting on plaster walls , those type provide by the USA will not be ideal for local use as they tend to use thinner ply of plaster wall . Vice versus for the ceiling they now also use thinner material hence if mount speaker ceiling type it will not secure well or it start cracking .

As for the screen material  it is a wrap around on frame with covering border  . I have notice they use plastic rod ( most will use metal type which does not turn brittle as years goes by ) to slot in material edge that use spring hooks to pull to get tension . May be can ask supplier for it hope is not too late.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 19:46 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline ronildoq

Oh thanks for the heads up Alf.

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg

Yes it was a good idea to have this made , very sleek a bit industrial looking and nice varnish finish on thick board .
To measure and getting it balance and level was a challenge on top of that wall was not very flat . As the pipes was screwed together we use it as leverage to get it level .

The whole mount can take the load of the Benq w5700 ( 6.5kg ) I like the looks very cool .

Ccyou did good research work and DIY skill is also great . Kudos
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc