Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Setting up NEW BenQ 5700 PJ from Scratch N Considerations  (Read 13752 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)

The above shows the ideal Centre speaker placement behind the screen. Taken from acoustic frontiers

Quote:

Speaker’s acoustical center optimally placed. Typically this means 1/2 to 5/8ths of screen height but will vary depending on the vertical off axis response of the speakers in question as we want the relationship between speakers and audience to be within the angular range where the speakers sound good.

The fourth step is to determine the screen size and vertical location. This must be done in order to position the speakers appropriately relative to the screen center.

The vertical location of the screen is chosen such that the top of the screen does not exceed 15 degrees from the position of the viewers. Once this is done we can locate the left, center and right channel speakers relative to the screen. We do this by placing the speakers such that their acoustical center (typically midway between high frequency and midrange drivers) is between 1/2 and 5/8 of screen height.

Unquote:

Having experienced the various placements and heights, it makes perfect sense, the centre speakers should not be placed too Low, otherwise you will feel the vocals are coming from below, especially on a bigger 135” screen.

It should be right at the centre, tweeters above head level, as can be seen from diagram above

1/2 of screen height, that means it’s 115cm from ground for my case, plus some divini footers isolation 2cm for the centre speaker, that should make it to 117cm from ground

That brings it close to the height of the Super tweeters from mains

It’s perfect ! Height of tv console is 55cm, smt 60cm, so the centre speaker will sit on the smt wings, flushed

Placement of centre has been decided! Will go with this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

War zone episode 2!

OLED C7 into room, This time baffle wall, some work in progress now for 4.5m wall

Front heights for Dolby Atmos behind the 135” AT screen

40kg density 100mm goes into false ceiling at another area, previously forgotten, this time had the opportunity to fix this, false ceiling rattling issue. Whenever possible, NEVER  have false ceiling especially for HT, not suitable!

60kg density 100mm will sit in the baffle wall with gypsum board and black acoustic fabric wrapped . Different density for different purposes

2x 10” seas L26ROY XM001 pair will go as boundary woofers, DIY by bro synthesis , using neutrik speak on connectors, powered by crown xls 2002, this will slot into the wall, covered and hidden behind black fabric . The left right pair will handle all stereo bass from mains , surrounds and Atmos up to 500hz, this will relieve the speakers of bass duty up to 500hz and maximise all 15 speakers headroom using Lyngdorf Room EQ

Work in progress.... lunch break , will update along the way....

Offline ronildoq

Part of the inside , sample pics of the front height speakers, stuffed with 60kg density rockwool sitting on all 4 corners of the gypsum board, up down left right. Cabinet is big enough, stuffed with rockwool, to cater for future upgrade of speakers if I ever upgrade

The base where the boundary woofers will sit, cables through the trunking , so many cables ! Nightmare indeed

4 pieces of mini divini footers will support the boundary woofers sitting here , at the bottom of the gymsum board will be some rockwool as well, since it will handle up to 500hz

Phew... lotsa work 3-4 days job

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 16:13 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

More pics... slot for the boundary woofers

Close up look, what’s inside, this thing nobody tells u... lol, but here is a look of it

Skeleton of it, two boundary woofers at the bottom and two front height on TOP

Centre speakers will be dead centre flanked by smt, more pics to follow soon...

Giving my contractor some nice challenges ! But he is good !! Told him I wanna have some LED light strip too, something like the below will be really nice !!

Offline FookLai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • survivng with bare system

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Nooooooooooooo.............................Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Some serious videophiles here even tape up all their LED lights on their media player, amps...everything .......and here you are, you want to put in LED strip??....nooooooooooooooooooooooo.....whatever goodness your HDR projector is delivering sure kanna reduced man!!

(Audio)

Offline ronildoq

Oh, the LED strip lights not for use when viewing, more for decorative purposes, when the projector not in use, the dark areas could use some lights , more for that purpose.

yes I think you are right, bias lighting for projector is not the same for TV, too much light spillage and very hard to control, so I concur it will be very hard with front projection

Thanks for the heads up !

Offline ronildoq

Ok as promised, more pictures, this part of the journey is where I think it will help many people , this is how I do it

Here is how I flank that centre channel with 4 world class smt wings

Closer view

Zoom in to the centre speaker lot, boundary interference eliminated, speaker ports plugged for superb transients , all speaker ports will be plugged!

Looks of it at what’s behind , This area is fitted with 60kg density rockwool of size 100mm, this provides good air flow resistivity for bass trapping

The following bottom area is where I’ll stuff all the power conditioner, cables etc, there will be like a special opening on two sides to change cables etc, not easy but will do, as I am very happy with sound, the equipment is likely to stay

Next I have to give Uncle Wenson some headache on LED light strips, how we gonna Place it.... lol, I’m cracking to get some ideas as well, this part I’m not too sure

The purpose of the LED is purely decorative, as the Mrs afraid of “ “, so she likes the hall bright, for that purpose, I need the lights...

So this is give and take situation, but in times of viewing, the LED will be turned off... or dimmed if kids watching programme etc

Basically 5 items sits in the wall, centre speakers, left right front heights, boundary woofers left right

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 14:52 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Gotta double run the hdmi fiber cables, if ever one of it goes dead its a nightmare , see how the cables go through the grid system, all the rockwool inside.....

The Moshou 8k cables should stay in there for some years, there is also a source and display on different sides, made absolutely sure it’s the correct side of it , if not ...... u can imagine

Next all black paint work in progress, the paint odour....hmmmm

Finally confirmed with Uncle, LED light strips will cover the baffle wall facing inward, starting from left, TOP, then ending at right straight to power point area...

Quick glimpse on the acoustic fabric to be used, neolight....

This will be used to cover the entire front wall, black black black.....

Offline ronildoq

At the corners & back of the centre speakers, we will have one layer of acoustic membrane material, using techsound, along the walls, this will add mass and absorb vibration

All blacks !

4 Divini footers DD-3 will be used beneath the centre speaker , this is for different purpose, it is to prevent the centre speaker from transferring energy to the baffle wall. Not that there will be a lot of energy being transferred since I’ll be using a XO of 500hz with boundary woofers, but to play safe in case that boundary woofer concept doesn’t work and I can then relegate the subs to be midbass stereo subs

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 17:01 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Nice smt glow behind.... haha, anyway, that spotlight behind won’t be in use

Nightmare cables arrangement day tonight and tomorrow , cables are my worst nightmare!!!!

Will have a sliding board opening up down where all the cables are hidden inside with the cling wrapped rockwool . This is to facilitate change of cables... but I don’t think I wanna change any cables after this

To be continued......

No pain no gain !

Offline ronildoq

Day 3...

Front heights speakers now connected with rockwool surroundings

Centre speaker with techsound membrane

The skeleton of it below, before fabric wrap, rockwool fitted at corner edges, sides , again with 60kg density material

Material used that will be flushed with the 135” Elite UHD Pro Acoustic Transparent Perforated Weave Projector Screen , as follows, no idea what material is this

Cable area, now sealed with gypsum board with rockwool backing . Velcro fasteners will cover this area , if there is need to swap cables in the future , just lift the cloth up, swap cables, cover back, hide all cables, power conditioner inside

10m RGBW LED light strips will go along here from left to TOP to right , behind the white piece

Offline ronildoq

Ok just confirmed with Uncle, this is the fabric thread, used to wrap the wall

LED light will slot above the white fabric thread...

Fabric will wrap all the way until before the BAD panels , to absorb light reflecting off the ceiling

Close up view from behind

Wrapping job will resume tomorrow , all the thread being laid out nicely now...any gaps or hole will be filled up

More pics to resume tomorrow , once the wrapping and LED lights are done.

Testing for rattling and structural noise as well, Lycan scene to see what is rattling

Screen mounting, projector cabinets next...

Fuu... lotsa work and cleaning !

Offline ronildoq

Quick peak close glance of centre speakers fitted into the slot , supported by the divini footers here

Further view from a distance

The midrange and ribbon tweeters should provide a wider lateral soundstage, hopefully not much of lobing issue from design point of view

Having the smt diffusors hoping that it will widen the vertical dispersion, nonetheless, I still prefer ribbon tweeters, always my choice for tweeters , regardless, probably cos I’ve grown so used to ribbons

Thanks Gavin for reminding, fitted in the foam at the corners, bottom, TOP, stuffed it, this should eliminate any chance of comb filtering

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 22:01 by ronildoq »

Offline Djblackfm

Quick peak close glance of centre speakers fitted into the slot , supported by the divini footers here

Further view from a distance

The midrange and ribbon tweeters should provide a wider lateral soundstage, hopefully not much of lobing issue from design point of view

Having the smt diffusors hoping that it will widen the vertical dispersion, nonetheless, I still prefer ribbon tweeters, always my choice for tweeters , regardless, probably cos I’ve grown so used to ribbons

Bro, it's looking damn awesome.  :o really can't wait for your next demo. End game coming soon hahaha  ;)
If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.