Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Setting up NEW BenQ 5700 PJ from Scratch N Considerations  (Read 7281 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Alright, just got news that pick up for screen will be today by UPS, standard cheapest shipping option, usd600 for the 135” screen.... faint... shipping is much higher as the size is bigger , screen cost $925, total usd $1525 before GST, arrival early June

Just finished meeting my previous contractor for grid system, he can do it to my specifications, nice, all in, one stop solution... screen I’ll have to assemble myself however... will get some help... here is another video of the assembly, it comes with a thin black bezel, really sleek looking, elite AT screen

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMmlrUSYoI4&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VMmlrUSYoI4&fs=1</a>

I would love to have the flip up screen type, like this video, done by youthman, quite carefully thought out and planned... see how convenient he hides the cables, using a wheel for the console, so he can have easy access to cables and speakers, and how the flip up screen works, using hydraulic hinges

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rQxNd1Lf38&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9rQxNd1Lf38&fs=1</a>

Nice ! Too bad I can’t do flip up, ran out of height space with grid system eating 20cm into heights, and console 55cm heights, so no choice, just go with hook it up fixed screen

Offline ronildoq

Next, I ordered some 15m uGreen CAT 7 ethernet cables, a pair of 15m Fiber HDMI 2.1 cables Moshou Brand , and a 15m trigger cable, all from aliexpress, these will go through the grid system and right back behind MLP

The Moshou HDMI cables are good, can do 12k material without stuttering, vs my 4K certified HDMI cable... so yea, good stuff, able to carry the bandwidth ... just not sure how good is the chip for this fibre version, but the trust is there after using the non fiber chip version..

These will be connected onto a custom made board like this, where the BenQ 5700 sits

Right at the back centre of MLP , above the seatons stacked, below the air conditioner

With a pipe like stuff so we can align the PJ if needed as recommended by bro ccyao, thanks bro !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

Now that I’ve gotten the basic and easier things out of the way, it’s time for the most difficult part, the THX baffle wall itself!

So many options and considerations, but I decided to go with this ...

First things firsts, why all the hassle ? Cos I can tell you it’s totally worth it ! Being a HT enthusiasts, this is almost a must. Why?

1. When the speakers are placed vertically behind the AT screen, the dialogue and vocals and sound image will track the onscreen actions, vocals will emanate from where it’s supposed to, it creates a type of realism where the sound is anchored on the screen, very immersive

Why vertical placement ??

See this simple diagram above, horizontally placed speakers will have lobing issues

So the recommendation would be

Simple pics and easy to understand .

However, I can’t go with this, as I would have to get another floor stander to sit inside behind the AT screen. At the same time, if changing just the centre speaker out for an in wall type speaker, I’d have to change all front 3, otherwise I will have timbre matching and coherence issues... so how?

MAKE DO! Adjust , I’ll share again the plan

2. Apart from superior tracking of onscreen dialogue and action, the next benefit is speaker boundary interference, eliminated, as the speaker is flushed onto surface of the wall. There is now no more boundary interference issues that introduces massive peaks and null down lower frequencies

3. Visual and aesthetics. As can be seen, it’s beautiful, here are samples of neatly done designs, taken from web and friends feeding me all sorts of info & ideas

See how nicely it can be done... just need the $$$.... but boy, they have very good acoustical benefits

4. Better Low frequency output. With the option of having subs built into the wall, this translates to a better headroom, approx 6db down Low.

5. Better transient response, if the wall is solid enough, then the subs will benefit

However, I’m not going to put the seatons in, but cater for future upgrades, two slots available

6. Less diffraction on sound for the speaker flushed into the wall

7. Front wall acting as a massive bass trap.

What I’ll do now is to use this wall as a bass trap, meaning I’ll have the centre speakers sit on he middle of the screen, where tweeters are aligned with the left right floor standers. And then on all 4 corners of the centre speakers, flanked with SMT wings , like this. The centre will sit right on the 60x60 smt, horizontally...

The two front height speakers will sit in the baffle wall as well

On the remaining empty wall, it will have 60kg density rockwool , 100mm size. Sandwiched Behind an mdf & a gypsum board, with 20cm air GAP .... this entire front wall will now act as a bass trap, with good air flow resistivity , they will all be absorb bass. black fabric wrapped to absorb light and have less sound attenuation , the purpose of the mdf wood is to provide varying density....

It’s important to note that filling up the entire front wall with rockwool will not help as the Atmos/ front height speakers and surrounds actually deflect off front wall to provide that diffused soundfield . So I want to retain the liveliness, hence going with 60kg density rockwool

Finally will have another layer of velvet material covering light reflections off ceiling....

I’ll try and draw out the diagram on excel ... to be continued ...

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
good pick for the fibre hdmi cable, I'm using it as well, looking forward to visit.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
Another option. Interested in custom speakers? Size can be adjusted based on space constraint.

Offline ronildoq

good pick for the fibre hdmi cable, I'm using it as well, looking forward to visit.

Sure Wilber, soon, hopefully should complete by End June19, contractors in on 3rd week of June to fix it all up.

Ill PM you when all ready, most likely will be one of the sundays 2.30pm in July19

Good to know u r using the same fiber cable with no issues, happy to note that !

Offline ronildoq

Another option. Interested in custom speakers? Size can be adjusted based on space constraint.

Hi Synthesis, will get in touch with you, if i decide to go DIY midbass modules to sit in line behind into the baffle wall, thats one of the future upgrade plans, there will be two slots for subwoofers behind mains, keeping that option open

Offline Ccyao

With a pipe like stuff so we can align the PJ if needed as recommended by bro ccyao, thanks bro !
Don't mention Bro!
Never have the knowledge to share the technical stuff. Happy that I'm able to contribute. Haha

Really amazed with and admire your passion and the hard work that you have put into your HT journey. A joy for me to read!

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline Ccyao

Sure Wilber, soon, hopefully should complete by End June19, contractors in on 3rd week of June to fix it all up.

Ill PM you when all ready, most likely will be one of the sundays 2.30pm in July19

Good to know u r using the same fiber cable with no issues, happy to note that !

Bro, may I join in, if you don't mind?

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline ronildoq

Bro, may I join in, if you don't mind?

Sure will reserve for u both when ready, will PM u ... thanks again for the tip

Offline Ccyao

Sure will reserve for u both when ready, will PM u ... thanks again for the tip

Offline ronildoq

Finally arrived from USA !

135” AT screen from elite, total damage $2.3k to door step inc GST

Next up, awaiting materials to arrive, 3rd week of June building the baffle wall, still some work to do...

Already gotten myself a copy of the new HDR10+ using Dynamic Metadata , all ready , can’t wait to check out the BenQ in HDR10

Those who have witnessed first hand the Tekno3d files on the OLED will understand what I mean...  this version is the TOP version compared to the previous one

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Whoa... arrived!

Exciting!

Offline ronildoq

Yea man! Journey resumes very busy past few days

Layout ready , this Monday contractor  start work, weekend will be projector screen assembly, fingers crossed not much of a headache, will try our best !

Boundary woofers checked, Intended XO 500hz !

4x. F18 Seatons will move to handle Just LFE up to 90hz

Centre behind AT screen flanked by all 4 world class SMT wings ! Centre channel is the key , apart from the subs

Front heights left right behind 135” AT screen !

60kg density rockwool 100mm to work as bass trap

Screen will be flushed into the baffle wall , covered with black fabric

Here we go again...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 22:50 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Ok journey resumed again, before that, big THANK YOU to bro Wizardofoz who popped by all the way today to help me with the screen assembly

sharing here some of the pics taken

First we hooked up the corners of the frames

Then the edges L shaped

Then the screen and the  followed by the support bar

Looks from the front, huge 135” ! Not used to it

Close up look at the material , acoustic transparent

Wrapping it up, standby for Monday contractor to do up the baffle wall

Corner thin black bezels will be optional

Elite forgot to include the hooks, so couldn’t install the black cloth onto the back of the screen, so will have to wait for the hooks to come in... here is how it looks

nonetheless, installation will have to proceed, may not be too bad as the wall will be made of gypsum board with black fabric wrapped rockwool

Back Edges will be fitted with a remote control 10m bias lights , with dimming options

Long week ahead !