Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Setting up NEW BenQ 5700 PJ from Scratch N Considerations  (Read 13208 times)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Just finished the system integration last night, into the wee hours , mighty impressive

I’ll be sharing soon how this is done and how I believe the best approach to EQ and full system integration should be done, amazing stuff !

Let’s get to the methodology behind, stats, quantitative measurements, analysis and actual listening

I haven’t done the actual listening, but quick listening, it’s promising. The numbers don’t lie

I will be interested to know more about your approach and measurements in EQ.

I've got my own way using REW for time alignment between mains and subs, but I'm always looking for better methods if there are.

I have to say that there are 2 parts of any audio system EQ. Basic start point (to being with) and then followed by calibration to preference(pepper and salt to your taste).
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

Hi Jag, this methodology that I use now is really good, I’m having 8 subs, and you will see how they all sum nicely. The key take away with this method is that the mains sum up with subs, blending at XO, it’s so much easier vs the distance tweak method I was using in the past.

The other notable benefits were impulse all aligned, then we have very less seat to seat variation, all the seats are equally good. Then comes a good decay rate, which I will share as well with the spectrogram, mighty impressive for 8 subs in a living room. These all automatically translates to good phase coherence as well.

Harmonic Distortion numbers were very very impressive too, <2% at 92db below down to 10hz...

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
EGD method?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Let me just jump in quickly here to prevent the topic from going OOT.

@Roni - You may want to start a separate thread or continue with your post on the Lyngdorf thread to expand your sharing/discussions on the audio calibration :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

Let me just jump in quickly here to prevent the topic from going OOT.

@Roni - You may want to start a separate thread or continue with your post on the Lyngdorf thread to expand your sharing/discussions on the audio calibration :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure sure, once I’ve compiled the details, will share in that thread instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

After playing around with the BenQ 5700 HDR, I found one settings that seem to be my saviour ! Finally , removing the tone mapping feature on the BenQ seems to be the way to go for HDR . Playback is with 4000 nits material BT2020

Another thing I notice when tone mapping switched off is I get better smoother pics, less grainy

See this is with tone mapping below

Without tone mapping

Another one with tone mapping, honey looks yellowish

Without tone mapping the honey looks more gold and natural

Still prefer to switch off tone mapping , looks so much more natural to me, otherwise looks over saturated

Offline ronildoq

Here are the settings I’m using now

HDR off , selected user mode

Brightness 58, contrast 44, sharpness 10, brilliant colour on, iris high , gamma selection is “BenQ “, didn’t go with gamma 2.3 as the BenQ gamma curve provided a better pop to the image , under cInema master, switch off or set 0 to all 4k pixel enhancer, colour enhancer, motion enhance etc

The rest of the settings will mirror the isf settings for colour temperature and colour

Do try it out with tone mapping off and compare with the default HDR mode, I personally prefer this, much much more natural and image less grainy and sharp, pic skin tone etc all look so much more natural with good details. Bye bye to all the wash out scenes with HDR
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 23:59 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

No problems with 1080p, they look fantastic after the calibration

Some pics to share on recent angry birds I’ve watched , I still prefer rec709 to BT2020

You can post your feedback as well

Really much nicer to me without the tone mapping on

Offline ronildoq

Another new finding, reporting over over, roger roger.

Last night something crossed my mind. I was wondering since the calibrated HDR looks way off, at least to my eyes, why not use the rec709 settings on the HDR mode?? (Cos I love the isf calibrated settings on SDR rec709)

The previous one I have tried above  http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=285530.msg1322355#msg1322355      with adjusted contrast 44 and brightness 58 is also a no no... after some time I noticed it’s not as nice as well, looks washed out at some scenes and not nice too

So instead, I followed and copied the exact same settings of isf calibrated settings from rec709 into the HDR10 settings , to my surprise they look much much more natural, compared to the calibrated HDR settings using the chromapure workflow 50% intensity and 50% saturation targets

I calibrated using isf mode for SDR rec709, then I copied exactly everything, into HDR mode, so much nicer and natural ! The only thing I have then changed, is to switch the gamma to “BenQ”, I didn’t use the gamma of 2.3.

Reference scene was black panther using Tekno3d file.

Settings used here , tried again

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=285530.msg1314538#msg1314538

75% saturation and 75% intensity level, this is so far the best HDR10 settings i have tested. The other key area is to make sure pixel enhancer, motion enhancer, skin tone etc all set to disable and 0

More testing to follow , with animation cartoon soon

Offline ronildoq

Woo hooo !! I found the perfect settings for HDR 10 on the BenQ , love it now ! Superb stuff

The answer lies in calibrating the pj to reference on SDR , then copy across the exact same settings on to the HDR10 profile, that works fantastic! Very natural, yet able to produce the specular highlights

Very very satisfied now with this setting , some pics on “ ready player one” scene in HDR , so much more natural, I love it now ...

Finally !!!!!

Ok now i can safely say, the HDR 10 on BenQ is fantastic ! Just need the correct settings, tone mapping is much better using the SDR Rec709 calibrated settings

Don’t waste time on the HDR calibration workflow using the masciola disc, doesn’t look close or as good as the rec709 calibrated settings

Offline ronildoq

I’ve also limited the target luminance to 300 on the Oppo, and set the player to mode 4, to best preserve shadow details

End results are very satisfying now .... tested various scenes, they all look great, bright, darker scenes, all look good. finally !!

Offline ronildoq

Just re confirmed with my fav movie, in HDR10 on the BenQ 5700

Not bad the contrast and black levels

Fantastic now! Finally got the HDR calibration right

Love it, very natural indeed now, after getting the calibration done correctly
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 22:24 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

I’ve never seen raccoon look so good on projector HDR before

Finally nailed it on the BenQ 5700 for HDR10

They are absolute value for money . Need to make sure calibration is right . Out of box settings is a big no no from BenQ for HDR10 , way way off

Offline ronildoq

More pics after testing and viewing in HDR10

Very hard to believe the quality can be day and night different with the correct calibration targets . The price of it is absolutely worth it, fantastic bang for your buck type

Very solid now

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast