Author Topic: What are you going to do next?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline atx2

• Trade Count: (0)
What are you going to do next?
« on: May 09, 2019, 13:13 »
Will you give up your hobby and sell your whole setup before old age or sick?
How many CD / records in your collection?
Who will be “responsible” to sell your collection ?
Are you going to do it when you are sick or your family members when something happen?

have you guys ever thought of how to do with you vinyls or cd collection before something happen to us?
Most of us spend quite a lot of money into this hobby and buying all this media is like buying drugs, you can’t stop buying when there’s a new release or some of us will get double or triple. I’m sure most of us will own some boxes of seal copies. I think some guys will also point out that all this will be “For retirement” but will you be so strong and healthy when you are in the old age?
Analog all the way...

Offline macrotrust

Re: What are you going to do next?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 16:08 »
Long term planning is to liquidate everything- if nobody in the family is interested in keeping it.

It is a matter of time- if your family not interested in music- what to do- rather than giving it to garung kuni man- might as well sell it away  as my daughter recently ask me how much my collection is worth-hahaha- I said will write down all the prices with a sticker on the LP and CD when the time is ripe soon. sell it away in ebay or any online platform.

All audio gear regardless of age will have some residual value- electronic stuff- usually fully depreciated within 3-5 yrs ( i think there is a blue book on audiogon for audio gear). Anything more- is just a bonus- So dont keep any spare audio gear at all unless u r into vintage- better get rid of it- it is like car- COE expiry.

Offline malsound

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 16:45 »
No need to thinks so hard lah Bro, when Endgame hit us in the near future no software will be spared. In a million year all vinyl will be turn to oil under the permafrost with the exception of some may turn up as fossilised lp in our garment giant bucker.  :'(

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 17:18 »
There is no monetary value to this hobby. Only the value of present intangible enjoyment. Its just junk to disinterested family members.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 18:10 »
I would hope to pass most to family members and get them up to speed on connectivity. If they are not interested then sell away what I cannot keep and just hope I still have enough hearing left to enjoy some tunes.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ht.chua

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 18:33 »
There is no monetary value to this hobby. Only the value of present intangible enjoyment. Its just junk to disinterested family members.
Fully agree.

Offline atx2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 09:09 »

Yah, my wife keep on complaining, I'm taking too much space and is all junk...
Analog all the way...

Offline atx2

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12 »
I would hope to pass most to family members and get them up to speed on connectivity. If they are not interested then sell away what I cannot keep and just hope I still have enough hearing left to enjoy some tunes.

I also wish my kids can can appreciate but they have no interest in it... kids only like K-pop
Analog all the way...

Offline atx2

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14 »
Long term planning is to liquidate everything- if nobody in the family is interested in keeping it.

It is a matter of time- if your family not interested in music- what to do- rather than giving it to garung kuni man- might as well sell it away  as my daughter recently ask me how much my collection is worth-hahaha- I said will write down all the prices with a sticker on the LP and CD when the time is ripe soon. sell it away in ebay or any online platform.

All audio gear regardless of age will have some residual value- electronic stuff- usually fully depreciated within 3-5 yrs ( i think there is a blue book on audiogon for audio gear). Anything more- is just a bonus- So dont keep any spare audio gear at all unless u r into vintage- better get rid of it- it is like car- COE expiry.

Hopefully they don't sell all for $500...
Analog all the way...

Online BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:26 »
My eldest son likes music... he's OK with my audio system.. All my LPs, CDs, audio stuff will go to him. He won't sell.. he's a hoarder like me...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:29 by BTW »

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:40 »
CDs will still be subjected to laser rot one...
RECORDs wise... how long it can lasts, that's dependant on owner how they handle that vulnerable piece of plastic.

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41 »
Well, my wife and I don't have kids, and none of my nieces or nephews are interested in hifi.
So my plan is that before I die, I link up with some local record shop to take all my vinyl and my equipment and sell them away on consignment, the proceeds to go to charity (and a small profit for the shop). After I die, of course.

I'm not too fussed about the money, I'll be dead anyway.   ::)

Offline atx2

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 09:42 »
My eldest son likes music... he's OK with my audio system.. All my LPs, CDs, audio stuff will go to him. He won't sell.. he's a hoarder like me...  ;D

Ur so lucky bro
Analog all the way...

Offline atx2

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 09:43 »
CDs will still be subjected to laser rot one...
RECORDs wise... how long it can lasts, that's dependant on owner how they handle that vulnerable piece of plastic.

Cd give them the most 15yrs ...
Analog all the way...

Offline atx2

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44 »
Well, my wife and I don't have kids, and none of my nieces or nephews are interested in hifi.
So my plan is that before I die, I link up with some local record shop to take all my vinyl and my equipment and sell them away on consignment, the proceeds to go to charity (and a small profit for the shop). After I die, of course.

I'm not too fussed about the money, I'll be dead anyway.   ::)

Well done bro! Respect your decision!
Analog all the way...