Author Topic: Acoustic bedroom door that block sound?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Acoustic bedroom door that block sound?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02 »
I have change 2 of my bedroom doors to solid wood doors with bulit in drop down seal and bar wings @ $$750 a piece from Goodwill Enterprise . The closing and opening as per normal .

Online wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30 »
I have change 2 of my bedroom doors to solid wood doors with bulit in drop down seal and bar wings @ $$750 a piece from Goodwill Enterprise . The closing and opening as per normal .

The seal is only dropped when the door is closed, right?

Offline sdds

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37 »
yes , the seal will drop when close .

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09 »
just an update what i have done,
install batwing seal + bottom seal(those rubber cheap kind) already helped alot with my standard HDB door, i think semi solid or almost full solid. 

Next upgrade will likely just change to nice looking laminate solid wood door, with inbuild drop seal.

anyway, the con is opening the door require more strength, to push or pull.
is it common for you guys?
Batwing seals typically do not cause excessive difficulty in closing the door. Much less than the foam sealing strips commonly used.

I suspect the bottom seal is causing more friction as it rubbing on the floor?

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline deadrick

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 17:10 »
Hmmm, goodwill acoustic got the package to install drop seal + perimeter seal. Actually price is reasonable if you already have the door you like.
My is hdb door, never like the design. Lol.

My bottom seal definitely not the culprit as I using those rubber wiper kind, i already felt the door opening harder before fitting the bottom seal.

Closing is fine, just need to swing harder then the momentum will help it.

But opening, after your turn the handle, that is the part require abit of force to swing open. not really that bad but definitely can feel some friction.

Don't think got to do with vacuum effect if the windows are open in the room.

Probably friction from the door and the seal. But if can achieve a smooth effortless opening and closing will be best. Gonna test again with the remaining doors.. Lol.

Offline deadrick

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 17:14 »

Anyway, did you compare their bedroom solid wood door vs other company solid doors?

Not sure if all laminated solid wood door are all same?
I was recommended this door company, imperial door, hdb bedroom that feels like hotel door. Will drop by their shop when I free to see see.

Offline sdds

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 18:29 »
Went searching online for doors , in the end went for this due to some reviews .Quality is consider good after 1 year of usage .
Can drop by to my place if you want to take a look at the real door .Thanks

Offline deadrick

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 19:14 »
where do you stay sir?

Offline sdds

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 19:15 »
Jurong west , next to jurong point

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 20:39 »
Anyway, did you compare their bedroom solid wood door vs other company solid doors?

Not sure if all laminated solid wood door are all same?
I was recommended this door company, imperial door, hdb bedroom that feels like hotel door. Will drop by their shop when I free to see see.
One quick/dirty way of checking the door is the good old knuckle rap test. As Jag shared, his door has laminated mass loaded vinyl, very heavy and also damped via CLD mechanism (constrained layer damping). This will maximise sound loss, minimise transmission through the door.

A solid door will still transmit some sound via conduction through the door panel, but the mass of the solid wood blocks some sound . A hollow or thin Plywood door is probably the least effective in blocking sound. A knuckle rap with a calibrated ear may be able to differentiate between the doors.. Haha.

This is choosing between different types or 'normal' doors. Custom acoustic doors are much more expensive and  better specced.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk