Author Topic: Acoustic bedroom door that block sound?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
Acoustic bedroom door that block sound?
« on: May 05, 2019, 10:46 »
Hi all, I'm setting my HT to my living room, now thinking of changing the standard hdb bedroom door to those soundblock/soundproof door to minimize soundlead from living room to bedroom.

Can't seem to find much info regarding soundproof hdb door here.

Has anyone fitted before?
How effective will it be? Can ppl still slp in their room after I upgrade to acoustic soundblock door?
Any lobang to intro? If can't share here can pm.
What price to expect? I'm changing all 3 bedroom doors.
Thank you!

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Acoustic bedroom door that block sound?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 10:52 »
hmmm... use rubber strip to stick at the perimeter. Blocks out the sound of kids next door crying, and neighbors bird chirping kekeke

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:03 »
Bryan or others have replaced doors  before. Basically the door panels itself needs to block the sound transmission via mechanical conduction.

There are a few different approaches. You need mass to stop sound, especially low frequency. Some use a solid wood door. Noise Stop SG has a hollow door filled with 200kg/m3 rockwool.
Theoretically, I would like some constrained layer damping effect in the door panel. So maybe a sandwich construction of solid marine ply with mass loaded vinyl sheet inside, and green glue for damping. This the diyer in me talking..

The door panel aside, the greatest sound leakage is actually under the door through the bottom gap. A mechanical drop seal at the bottom is a must. So are batwing seals all around the sides.

Doors come with different STC  ratings . A  STC 40 door theoretically cuts the sound by 40dB, roughly.

My HT room, I didn't change the door. Just tacked on a spare duvet on the inside of the door. Batwing seals all around, installed a drop seal at the bottom. I think at least 35db + STC. You can barely hear a person on the other side of the door speaking in normal voice. Normal HT average 80db, after the door is below ambient noise levels in the living room of 50+db.

Cheers!

www.noisestopsystems.sg/products_acoustic_soundproof_doors_asia_singapore_buy_products.php

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 11:08 »
Bryan or others have replaced doors  before. Basically the door panels itself needs to block the sound transmission via mechanical conduction.

There are a few different approaches. You need mass to stop sound, especially low frequency. Some use a solid wood door. Noise Stop SG has a hollow door filled with 200kg/m3 rockwool.
Theoretically, I would like some constrained layer damping effect in the door panel. So maybe a sandwich construction of solid marine ply with mass loaded vinyl sheet inside, and green glue for damping. This the diyer in me talking..

The door panel aside, the greatest sound leakage is actually under the door through the bottom gap. A mechanical drop seal at the bottom is a must. So are batwing seals all around the sides.

Doors come with different STC  ratings . A  STC 40 door theoretically cuts the sound by 40dB, roughly.

My HT room, I didn't change the door. Just tacked on a spare duvet on the inside of the door. Batwing seals all around, installed a drop seal at the bottom. I think at least 35db + STC. You can barely hear a person on the other side of the door speaking in normal voice. Normal HT average 80db, after the door is below ambient noise levels in the living room of 50+db.

Cheers!

www.noisestopsystems.sg/products_acoustic_soundproof_doors_asia_singapore_buy_products.php

Wow! Thanks for sharing!! So nice of you! Kekeke

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 14:50 »
This what I did:

1) Replace door with a mass loaded door. This is not a normal solid wooded door. Knocking on it produces very little sound. Install a recess drop seal into the door.
2) Bat wings on 2 sides and the top of the door frame. Get from Lorient. Google for this name you will find them in Kallang and more details.
3) Dropseals at the bottom of the door to seal gaps between door and floor. Install both recessed and external drop seal for double isolation.

You only need 1 aperture for sound to leak thru. Like wechivag mention, I get about 30-40dB improvement with this.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline deadrick

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 15:02 »

Cheers!

thanks for the detailed info.

noise stop has some interesting door, sent them a message and hope they reply. had hard time getting them to quote anything before.

So i should look at the STC rating for door.

i came across this:
http://www.door.sg/acoustic-door.html
Not sure are they good in noise blocking, the photo show rockwool inside the door, is this more effective than all wood door?
Somehow google doesnt show much supplier for acoustic or noise block door, maybe will call them up for viewing and understanding.

where did you get the batwing seal? locally like cannot find.

Offline deadrick

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 15:11 »
This what I did:

1) Replace door with a mass loaded door. This is not a normal solid wooded door. Knocking on it produces very little sound. Install a recess drop seal into the door.
2) Bat wings on 2 sides and the top of the door frame. Get from Lorient. Google for this name you will find them in Kallang and more details.
3) Dropseals at the bottom of the door to seal gaps between door and floor. Install both recessed and external drop seal for double isolation.

You only need 1 aperture for sound to leak thru. Like wechivag mention, I get about 30-40dB improvement with this.

thanks for the good tips.
any lobang or search term for these kind of mass loaded door locally?

Do the seller supply the recess dropseal? or we buy and get them to install? doesnt look like something i can do. but the 3) external dropseal i can do myself, as its on the outside.

for now, will test out the batwing sealing first.

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 15:18 »
https://www.soundzipper.com/about-us/

The can do it all for you. I engaged them 4yrs ago.
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 17:10 »
Wah, interesting company! Looks like they are the real deal, can provide design consultancy on all aspects of a dedicated HT construction.

Offline deadrick

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 10:03 »
Received a quote for acoustic door $3500 for 1 bedroom door from some company. Is this kind of pricing reasonable for door?

I wasn't expecting this price man.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:55 »
These types of doors are typically used for music studios so expect to pay premium for quality otherwise just DIY with rubber seals
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 13:56 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ralfale

Offline Count

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 17:11 »
Received a quote for acoustic door $3500 for 1 bedroom door from some company. Is this kind of pricing reasonable for door?

I wasn't expecting this price man.

3.5k is about the market price for a professionally fabricated and installed acoustic door. If you want cheaper, can get a normal contractor to install a solid core door and you can install your own seals onto the door.

Offline deadrick

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 23:06 »
just an update what i have done,
install batwing seal + bottom seal(those rubber cheap kind) already helped alot with my standard HDB door, i think semi solid or almost full solid. 

Next upgrade will likely just change to nice looking laminate solid wood door, with inbuild drop seal.

anyway, the con is opening the door require more strength, to push or pull.
is it common for you guys?

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38 »
After treatment, the door will be harder to open because of the seals AND vacuum effect of the room. Normal to be more difficult to open/close door fully.