Author Topic: 55" tv user to switch to projector?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
55" tv user to switch to projector?
« on: April 27, 2019, 17:39 »
been thinking of experimenting with projector instead of my current 55" sony led tv.

I particularly interested in xiaomi latest 4k laser projector(launch Jan2019), still waiting for more feedback on this projector.
and also read that screen play a BIG part with the reflection. good screen do not reflect and black will be full black.

the xiaomi 4k projector should cost around $3k-3.5k.
What budget should i allocate for the screen? say for 100"-120".
For the screen, want those that doesnt reflect lights during controlled lighting, as well as good use during daytime so i no need to off all the lights when i have visitors.

For a $4k budget, is it enough?
feel free to recommend other projector, but preferably laser than lamp as i dont like the idea of changing lamp. lol.

Offline deadrick

Re: 55" tv user to switch to projector?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 17:56 »
also, i am curious, as my sony led tv has backlight or is it called backlit and this is one of the most annoying thing about this tv.
thats why i was considering switching to oled to eliminate all the backlit.

im just wanna ask if switching to projector will solve this backlit issue?
since theres no light to emit if its black right?

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 18:40 »
Backlite in LED TVs are a set of LED light bulbs to shine thru the panel of LCD where the electro-generated pictures are moving that can be barely visible without backlighting... How can that be possible to be noticeable to users that it causes disturbance? Unless...U have a cracked back cover of a TV where that causes the leak of lights...

Offline deadrick

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 18:54 »
Backlite in LED TVs are a set of LED light bulbs to shine thru the panel of LCD where the electro-generated pictures are moving that can be barely visible without backlighting... How can that be possible to be noticeable to users that it causes disturbance? Unless...U have a cracked back cover of a TV where that causes the leak of lights...
U can see it if u watch in dark room. That's why oled black is 100% black. Led Tv not so, u see lighted black.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 19:20 »
TS doesn't like backlight bleeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline deadrick

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 22:12 »
With under $3000, is there any 4k projector i can consider?
Total budget $4000, $1000 for screen and $3000 for projector.
my usage may not be very lighting controlled, just low light environment.

Was originally eyeing the xiaomi 4k UST, 1) shoot laser 2) no need connect hdmi cable to the back of the room
cons: 1) hard placement because its right at the centre speaker area. 2) projection not so flexible, dependent on the projector placement. 3) price point has other 4k projector available.
+
changed my mind after watching a youtube demo of epson tw7400, which looks really really good and sharp...
so now im not sure what should i go for..

either i suck it up, and just settle the hdmi and power connection once and for all, and get a long throw projector.
or just try this xiaomi 4k UST projector with less real time review.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 22:14 by deadrick »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 07:10 »
I suggest you give BenQ Projector a shot. Especially the 2700W and the recently launched 5700W. All value for money with generous warranty. Check with Alf who is the distributor of BenQ projectors in this forum.

Offline HT102

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 09:49 »
Do consider the usage by others in your family. My wife never bothered to learn how to turn them on and my kids came close to damage the equipment in the past.

Anyway, I just sold my projector+screen setup and simply use a large screen TV. The whole family is now watching thrice more often.. the effect of convenience factor is quite unbelievable.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:59 »
Does the current roll up/down screens much sturdier and last longer such that both projector screen and TV can coexist nicely?

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 15:34 »
I got a motorized 110" screen from Alf.  It is still working since 2012.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 15:51 »
I got a motorized 110" screen from Alf.  It is still working since 2012.

Thanks. Is the screen still "crease free". I hope I explained correctly.  Not too concern on the motor as normally those are built to last.

Thanks

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 19:05 »
Yes.  The screen is still "crease free".

Offline deadrick

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 11:50 »
I suggest you give BenQ Projector a shot. Especially the 2700W and the recently launched 5700W. All value for money with generous warranty. Check with Alf who is the distributor of BenQ projectors in this forum.

I guess my option is left with xiaomi 4k projector, and benq w2700. Both are within budget.

Gonna take a look at both first. Each has its pros n cons. Benq I need to fit it above my head at the 2.8 to 3m left from projector. Not sure will the fan be distracting.

For xiaomi 4k really is the warranty support concern. But it seems to be better for daytime usage with alr ust screen.

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 17:01 »
Do consider dropping the screen in front of the TV and mounting the projector on the ceiling. I find that a TV is convenient for watching most things like news, local drama Channel 5 or 8 and even the relatively low resolution streamed content. However, when you want to watch a 4K movie or sports, nothing beats a huge screen and all that detail. If you put the screen in front of the TV, you have the best of both worlds.