Author Topic: Amazon readying Hirez music streaming service  (Read 3344 times)

Offline plasmasiao

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Amazon readying Hirez music streaming service
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 14:55 »
Will Lumin support Amazon music, esp if Tidal really die like many predicted? Tidal is my only source of hi-res music currently 😅

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 21:57 »
I must say I'm completely happy with Tidal MQA streaming through my Bluesound Node. MQA or FLAC, it doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds better than CD quality. Not sure why so many are against MQA. It just seems like a way to save some transmission. I also have an Audioquest Dragonfly connected to my Mac and iPhone streaming MQA through Tidal's apps. Sounds great to me.

I don't really care what format the music comes in. Audioquest and Bluesound support just about anything and I'm sure Bluesound will support the new Amazon service. I currently have Tidal and Apple Music. Apple music allows me to play quite a few Chinese songs through my HomePod.

Offline plasmasiao

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 22:05 »
same here, better than CD quality, thousands of albums, easy to use, what’s not to like.
I must say I'm completely happy with Tidal MQA streaming through my Bluesound Node. MQA or FLAC, it doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds better than CD quality. Not sure why so many are against MQA. It just seems like a way to save some transmission. I also have an Audioquest Dragonfly connected to my Mac and iPhone streaming MQA through Tidal's apps. Sounds great to me.

I don't really care what format the music comes in. Audioquest and Bluesound support just about anything and I'm sure Bluesound will support the new Amazon service. I currently have Tidal and Apple Music. Apple music allows me to play quite a few Chinese songs through my HomePod.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 14:17 »
... Not sure why so many are against MQA....

same here, better than CD quality, thousands of albums, easy to use, what’s not to like.

In a nutshell…

1. Native high resolution streams are far superior sonically to MQA (when derived from the same masters). Granted, until Amazon, mass market availability of streaming high res was limited, but Qobuz solved that (partially), and now Amazon (when available broadly).

2. The (license FREE) FLAC is capable of almost the same compression levels as MQA.

3. MQA’s filter “benefits” have been proven to be largely bogus

4. MQA decoding is only available in a relatively small percentage of DACs in absolute terms.

5. MQA is really just about a middle-man (Meridian) trying to licen$ing technology to the music Industry for profit (after their DVD-Audio licensing plan failed spectacularly). 

There’s a whole MQA dedicated thread (37 pages long) right here on the first page of Planet Audio; you might learn a thing or two if you bother to read through it. Ultimate though, as they say, ignorance is bliss... if you don’t know any better, or don’t care and MQA on Tidal sounds good enough to you, then by all means, stick with it (but the market has already pretty much decided for you :) )
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline plasmasiao

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 22:39 »
If only LUMIN supports Amazon music, then can switch fr Tidal

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 11:02 »
I hope this makes it to Roon.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 11:36 »
I see your points, but I can't really understand the unhappiness. It's not as if I'm buying HD-DVD or Betamax (now maybe Dolby Vision) media that will become obsoleted. This is being streamed and Tidal gives me good sound quality and has most of what I listen too (could use more Chinese content). The only downside might be I'm paying a few cents more to Tidal for their Meridian for license, but everything has a price and different streaming vendors have different prices anyway. The consumer decides.

As for native high resolution streams being vastly superior to MQA, it might be to you and your equipment, but on my modest stuff, I can't hear any quality difference between SACD (played on an Oppo), Hi-res torrent and MQA from Tidal through a Bluesound node. They do sound different, but it's hard to decide between them. They all sound great. I get a new DAC this week (non MQA) so I'll try again.

The Tidal software decodes MQA on desktops and phones and doesn't cost anything. Both the free Tidal software and Roon will unfold MQA to any DAC, so there is no need to buy a MQA DAC. I've tried unfolding MQA at the streamer vs at the DAC. No quality difference. Many MQA DACs are quite cheap, like the Audioquest Dragonfly and the Chi-Fi DACS (China Hifi).

Offline malsound

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/_sBBaNYex3E

https://youtu.be/cYLQytuZ4KA

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 07:44 »
I see your points, but I can't really understand the unhappiness. ...

Evidently you’re MQA ideal target market ;) You’re a photography buff right? Let me put it in those terms...

Imagine if an independent company claimed that they have an algorithm that betters camera RAW and takes up less storage than JPEGs, but every camera manufacturer and software maker had to license their proprietary software, and stop making RAW files available.

But it turns out their claims were mostly bogus, albeit the resulting images are marginally better than standard OOC JPEGs.

Now, to the mass-market casual photog who uses OOC JPEGs, that sound like a good idea (especially if their P&S comes with the proprietary algorithm for free)… but do you think everyone else should just happily accept the situation? :)

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 08:50 »
I'm just a happy Tidal user. Don't care how I get my high resolution music and I can hear a nice difference between MQA and redbook on some albums. Some actually sound worse so it really depends on how the encoding is done. Anyway, after some NAS crashes, I'm giving up on storing music. Hence, I really appreciate hi-res streaming.

I don't think your photography analogy hits the mark, but it does clearly let me see how you look at the issue.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 09:09 »
Has anyone tried the 90days free trial, looks promising

$12.99 for prime members , but when I start my trial it says need a USA mode of payment or a CC registered in the USA, scrolled down further and still can’t see any options for Singapore

How do u guys subscribe to this from Singapore ?

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54 »
Has anyone tried the 90days free trial, looks promising

...How do u guys subscribe to this from Singapore ?

It’s easy if you’re already an Amazon Prime user…

1. Download the Amazon Music App and install it on your PC/Mac
2. Launch a VPN to a US server
3. Launch the Amazon Music App and Login to your Amazon Prime account
4. Select “Go Unlimited”, making sure to chose [USA] as your Country - don’t worry that your Billing address/credit card is Singapore based, the system doesn’t seem to care as long as you’re on the VPN

Good luck! :)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 13:22 »
Oh ! Thanks for the heads up ANDREW C , will try tonight

Offline ronildoq

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 00:28 »
Evidently you’re MQA ideal target market ;) You’re a photography buff right? Let me put it in those terms...

Imagine if an independent company claimed that they have an algorithm that betters camera RAW and takes up less storage than JPEGs, but every camera manufacturer and software maker had to license their proprietary software, and stop making RAW files available.

But it turns out their claims were mostly bogus, albeit the resulting images are marginally better than standard OOC JPEGs.

Now, to the mass-market casual photog who uses OOC JPEGs, that sound like a good idea (especially if their P&S comes with the proprietary algorithm for free)… but do you think everyone else should just happily accept the situation? :)

Just remembered something, each camera manufacturer has their proprietary RAW file format, some with slight compression, so RAW isn't analogous to a native high resolution stream like high res PCM. Sensors in different cameras are very complex and can be hugely different, unlike microphones. Perhaps Adobe's DNG format might be closer to your idea, but note that nobody seems to use it but Adobe despite being around for eons.

I've recently done a little bit of reading on MQA and have a bit of technical background from being a VLSI IC designer in my youth. You mentioned the superiority of "native high resolution streams", but reading up about PCM, its not clear yet that high sample rate PCM is the last word in fidelity as it too is filtered. MQA is not simply hi res PCM folded and compressed. It's much more complex than that and requires the original analog source. Not saying your ears are wrong about this, but I think the jury is still out on this one, and audio science people debate this. I, for one, will definitely compare Tidal MQA to Amazon's hi res stuff myself and see if this is true or false. My current opinion is that it depends on how well the encoding is done from the original, possibly analog, source. There is some MQA on Tidal which is fantastic, but also some MQA recordings that are worse than the Redbook. I found that Amazon's HDR10+ encoding of is 4K video library is patchy, some good, some bad. So, I'm not that confident, its going to release consistently pristine hi-res music. Apple has done a little better with its Dolby Vision encoding.

Lastly, from what I read, there seems to be a lot of push back from many DAC manufacturers to MQA simply because they have spent years on their unique custom logic. To incorporate a vastly different system technologically into their DAC would mean hundreds of hours of rewriting the decades of hardware code they have put in. Whereas ESS and AK solved MQA because they sells zillions of mass produced DACs to everyone making equipment, unlike many relatively small DAC manufacturers, who sell on their unique sound signatures. Hence, when you read all this commentary on the Internet about how poor MQA is, you have to take it with a grain of salt, because many of these people have vested interest in MQA failing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 00:30 by tsammyc »