Author Topic: Given the priority to choose between room treatment and Room calibration  (Read 2270 times)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
I think most people know, i would say the room could take 50% of the sound quality? But this just a hobby, not a must, so different people have different justification. Just like a car, Some people willing to pay for luxury car some rather to take public transport.

For myself, there is no way to add any panel to my wall even with proper ID design as i have my system at living room, input from my wife, "it's so ugly". Unless i have a spare room which she will allow me to do what ever i want, unfortunately i cannot afford. :'(

It will not be a problem if you have enough budget to design and renovated the room from scratch ..... there are acoustic treatment method that Do not need to use or see the panel , and it will well hidden into the living room deco , too bad those are “too expensive” to many people, and so they will say, room acoustic treatment have Low WAF....

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
One funny thing about most audiophile or HT fan is, when they spend money they want to be able to see , touch and show others where their money gone —— a flagship AVR, a huge subwoofer, a big TV....etc, people wouldn’t mind to have a 18” subwoofer in their living room and wouldn’t talk about WAF,  but when talk about acoustic treatment, on one hand they will say panel is ugly, on the other hand if the treatment is invisible they will feel uncomfortable because nobody know they spend so much on acoustic treatment🤣

Just some personal thought , after doing more than hundred room acoustic project , I realise I alway have to design acoustic base on very tight budget..... make the room sound right is easy, but make the treatment look presentable within Budget   is the real challenge behind....and that is really tiring , so I do not do room acoustic project that often nowadays.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 20:34 by joamonte »

Offline wechnivag

One funny thing about most audiophile or HT fan is, when they spend money they want to be able to see , touch and show others where their money gone —— a flagship AVR, a huge subwoofer, a big TV....etc, people wouldn’t mind to have a 18” subwoofer in their living room and wouldn’t talk about WAF,  but when talk about acoustic treatment, on one hand they will say panel is ugly, on the other hand if the treatment is invisible they will feel uncomfortable because nobody know they spend so much on acoustic treatment🤣

Just some personal thought , after doing more than hundred room acoustic project , I realise I alway have to design acoustic base on very tight budget..... make the room sound right is easy, but make the treatment look presentable within Budget   is the real challenge behind....and that is really tiring , so I do not do room acoustic project that often nowadays.
Hi Sifu, thanks for sharing your experience. Human psychology is really unique. Most people will not hesitate to buy a $300 power cord, even in relatively budget setups...

But mention a $300 60x120 bass trap....

Simple panel can look quite good too...

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline stvc

• Snr Member

It will not be a problem if you have enough budget to design and renovated the room from scratch ..... there are acoustic treatment method that Do not need to use or see the panel , and it will well hidden into the living room deco , too bad those are “too expensive” to many people, and so they will say, room acoustic treatment have Low WAF....

It’s very subjective thing, not everyone have that kind of budget ( I not sure what the budget range you refer to), For some people like me, I can pay for the room treatment but wife not agree, but there is always a way pay for the equipment without  stoppage from wife but no way in renovation :).

Offline stvc

• Snr Member
Hi Sifu, thanks for sharing your experience. Human psychology is really unique. Most people will not hesitate to buy a $300 power cord, even in relatively budget setups...

But mention a $300 60x120 bass trap....

Simple panel can look quite good too...

I shown this to my wife before, same word, “ugly”, well.. different people different taste. Just like food, some people like Macdonald some just hate it.

Offline wechnivag

I shown this to my wife before, same word, “ugly”, well.. different people different taste. Just like food, some people like Macdonald some just hate it.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D

I think this will pass my waf format rear wall.

Does anyone know which vendor does this locally? :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...

I thought you are going back to basics...why still want to spend so much money for treatment?

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
I thought you are going back to basics...why still want to spend so much money for treatment?

I'll still be enjoying HT la keke... Just lesser time.  :)

And based on bros advice here, I believe treating the rear wall can still optimise whatever setup I have, and help in improving the sound for the immediate term and longer term. :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 17:15 by sevenz »

Offline joamonte

• audiophile

I expected that type of answer...... now you can see what I am talking about.😬

Offline joamonte

• audiophile

This absorbing panel is only as effective at 2-3” eggcrate foam which cost less than $80 , but the retail price is a few hundred dollars, so this proven that what I said earlier about most of the money spend on the acoustic treatment product are on the look( and yet there are some bro will still think the panel look ugly 😬)