Author Topic: Given the priority to choose between room treatment and Room calibration  (Read 3063 times)

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
I agree fully with your comment. A small fee (token) is usually meant for his time spending and taxi.

A Sound Engineer could put up $1000 price tag or even more. They will come again if you are not satisfied. We can find the cheaper version from one shop at Adelphi.
They will charge you even higher if you ask them to set up your hi-fi and lay cables. You ask them to come only already kena charge.
My friend engaged an acoustic sales guy who charged him $500 just to measure his room and advice, so he waved these charges when he replaced his acoustic foam.

Nothing is cheap in Singapore... one-time dinner (30 minutes mostly, 3 people) could cost us $300...

Pro impossible charge you $150... you are lucky guy
Good price! Then the pro can further mark up his offer price tag, have a good wealth future, good luck for him.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline moonlight

• Trade Count: (0)
Good price! Then the pro can further mark up his offer price tag, have a good wealth future, good luck for him.

For me, $150 or $500 is not talking about wealth future bro.
Must be kidding me unless it is $50,000 per month or more. Then yes, he will be a High-net-worth person who has an abundance of money or asset.

I believe your income is more than $500 or even $1500 so how much increment you got, will you have a good wealth future?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
We are digressing...pls stick to the main topic.

Offline moonlight

We are digressing...pls stick to the main topic.

Oppss... so sorry
Thanks for your reminder...

Back to the topic
I prefer to use built-in room correction software first.

If your room has bad reflection which software couldn't help and you have no much room to reposition your subs or speakers then final help is turned to the room treatment needed.
Room treatments are always good if you have dedicated HT room but not too much.

Nevertheless, I prefer to invest more on my AVR, subs and speakers rather than room treatment (not cheap)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 13:12 by moonlight »

Offline darlynvcs

• Snr Member
Both are equally important but if were to ask me which comes first I will choose room calibration. Why? Reason is simple, most avr in today market have in built room calibration for example Audyssey. It is not the best in the market but still does it job well if you know how to correctly use it. If you want something better and you can go for minidsp embedded with DIRAC live. It does a much better job than Audyssey can offer without burning a hole in your pocket. When you want to sell off it also easier to let go.

Now we come to room treatment, this is very tricky. There is no way you can just buy room treatment material by putting it there hoping it sounds better without much knowledge it just trail n error. You need to hire a professional, best is if he is a audiophile. He doesn't just measure but also uses his ear to listen. This definitely comes with a price. easily a few K's and we have not come to materials to buy. Room Treatment material is not cheap and some looks ugly not WAF. Most and foremost you need a dedicated room unless WAF is totally not a factor and budget is decent enough then by all means.

If both are done up nicely correctly I am sure it will be the ultimate home theater experience you will have.

Offline kennyluck2000

I can see a lot is affected by WAF when it come to room treatment. Is is really a serious issue to handle WAF  :-\ :-\ :-\
I have share with a few of my kaki about WAF issue. I have never restrict my wife from doing anything she love.. i give total freedom for her to decide what she want to do...
Take care kids while she is away...  8). Let her know i be always standby her when she need me.
This commitment is for life not a joke..  ;D ;D ;D
She know i have 3 things in my life, family, soccer & HT... 8) 8) 8) no joke is for life.. ;D ;D ;D
It depend on how passionate you are for HT & Hi Fi... to some is just pass time hobby and there is no point going through all those WAF harassment.
My wife once ask me when i gonna stop all these tweaking and changing of equipment.
My answer to her "You rather i spend time & money on these things and not going outside to spend time and money on others woman...I know what i am doing right now and i hope you can let me carry on with my passion. Just like i don't restrict you from doing anything you love..." ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 15:32 by kennyluck2000 »

BadEnglish

My wife once ask me when i gonna stop all these tweaking and changing of equipment.
My answer to her "You rather i spend time & money on these things and not going outside to spend time and money on others woman...I know what i am doing right now and i hope you can let me carry on with my passion. Just like i don't restrict you from doing anything you love..." ;) ;) ;)

Whaaaaa you seriously read your wife user manual.  Is it a hard copy ?

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
WAF acoustic is possible in some way. Many needs to be incorporated during renovation. The better looking treatment are pricier and you have to be ready to spend 10k or beyond  for a properly treated hall that looks nice. Having said that, these items are still bulky or protruding by nature and no matter how nice they look, wife still need to accept it.

Thats the way it is. Cant change wife too. Dont be too bothered by it just enjoy the hobby :)

Offline kennyluck2000

Whaaaaa you seriously read your wife user manual.  Is it a hard copy ?

Read the manual and get real life experiences, you might fail many times... ;D ;D ;D

BadEnglish

Read the manual and get real life experiences, you might fail many times... ;D ;D ;D

Sure boy.
I read so many times; printed out so many copies;  followed advice of seniors; yet still need tweaking.

I failed so many times. :-[

Offline kennyluck2000

Sure boy.
I read so many times; printed out so many copies;  followed advice of seniors; yet still need tweaking.

I failed so many times. :-[

Lol... even if we fails so many times.. but we also learn to enjoy those moment of process and experiences... we always learn to think positively when thing don't get in our way.. ;D ;D ;D
When we are young parent always tell us not to do this and that.. Go to school, teacher teach us this is right that is wrong... Go to work, boss tell you listen to me i am your boss because i pay you salary. Expert give advise this is the best ways to follow... All our life most of us will just follow instructions and commands from others... We are very condition to how others look at us... ??? ??? ???

Does this phrase very important to you when you pursue for your Hi-Fi journey Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 16:57 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline rayleh

Hi bro Kenny,

My passion is also family, soccer, HT and a few more.... My wife knows me well so if I spend my time related to these passions, she does not question nor bother so much. I spent the past few weeks tweaking my dual subs with REW, she just simply sat at her recliner using her phone. Although occasionally she encountered some shocks from the sweeping tones, she still didn't display any unhappiness.

My kids have also grown up so they need less attention. I totally agreed that the wives rather that we spend money on cars, HT or whatever than keeping another woman.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 16:54 by rayleh »

Offline rayleh

Lol... even if we fails so many times.. but we also learn to enjoy those moment of process and experiences... we always learn to think positively when thing don't get in our way.. ;D ;D ;D
When we are young parent always tell us not to do this and that.. Go to school, teacher teach us this is right that is wrong... Go to work, boss tell you listen to me i am your boss because i pay your salary. Expert give advise this is the best ways to follow... All our life most of us will just follow instructions and commands from others... We are very condition to how others look get us... ??? ??? ???

Think this only apply to us Singaporeans.

BadEnglish

Does this phrase very important to you when you pursue for your Hi-Fi journey Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.  :D

Same important as

Int 0x19

;D

Offline kennyluck2000

Hi bro Kenny,

My passion is also family, soccer, HT and a few more.... My wife knows me well so if I spend my time related to these passions, she does not question nor bother so much. I spent the past few weeks tweaking my dual subs with REW, she just simply sat at her recliner using her phone. Although occasionally she encountered some shocks from the sweeping tones, she still didn't display any unhappiness.

My kids have also grown up so they need less attention. I totally agreed that the wives rather that we spend money on cars, HT or whatever than keeping another woman.

That's very cool from you without any WAF issue... 8) 8) 8)