Author Topic: Changing the cross-over settings after running Audyssey  (Read 8325 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Changing the cross-over settings after running Audyssey
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 21:13 »
Errr... why make you **speechless**...? did I do my 'home work' wrongly?
 ???

and for my MA speakers, still undecided whether I want to use as my surround then adjust this channel to 120hz).
or I will use back for my stereo setup (most likely so I can utilise my wharfedale)

Do whatever you think is appropriate...Its your setup.

Cheers!~

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 23:03 »
I can't simply move location because of my wife and also young children at home and also limited speaker cable length.
Simple way is to try by replacing other speakers which I pinjam from my buddy.

aiyo, then say earlier la bro... :)

If can't shift speaker, then, can I re-suggest (again) that u post a pic of your LCR here and also let us know your sub model. Then we see if can help u la.

If u need help to post a photo online, PM me, i will help post it up for u (see, help until like that, so u got no choice to reject the help ;D).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 22:31 by sevenz »

Offline cleadett

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04 »
Then there is really no need for this thread as this ain't really a "problem" or issue to begin with considering that it sounded "fine" even it crossover at 150Hz? And what really makes me really infuriating is why didn't you simply tell bros here that moving the speakers is NOT AN OPTION in the first place? You are wasting everyone's time here imo. I am usually a very patient man...many bros here are trying to help you understand your own problems and posed to you some really fundamental questions to help us, help you to "understand" the crossover setting a little bit better and yet, you simply don't even care to reply with an answer...Out of nowhere, your next post is "I-decide-what-I-intend-to-do"...if so, then may I inquire what is the point of this thread asking for advice and opinions when you don't intend to take any of our suggestions seriously? Personally I think you are wasting the precious time of every bros here genuinely trying to help you.
Bro,
I am sorry if I make you become no longer a patient man and I don't think I was wasting everyone's time here.
Because of this thread that's why I received few suggestion (warm my heart) to try and compare with other speakers. If I don't have then I should try to move around with different location.

Since changing speakers is easier way and my friend lend me his speakers that's why I adopted this idea and tried to use on to it and see how his speaker response to my room acoustically (different speakers will response to my room differently).
I used speaker location as my fix factors to find out.
Whatever finding, I shared here so other brothers may learn too
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:14 by cleadett »

Offline cleadett

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 09:12 »
To began with a new spk have it run in ? as after run in most can go lower/fuller sound.
have you try even same location , have the MA go closer to the wall as is a rear ported mini spk.
if does not sound very thin now and given sometime to run in ..............

Hey bro,
Yes... yes.. thanks for this idea...
I may try to remove my curtain and let this speaker 'facing' directly to the wall.

Anyway,
When I returned my friend's speakers, I gave my MA speakers to him to try in his system.
Re-run Audyssey
Result: 120hz (MA) and  60hz (KEF)
 :(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:21 by cleadett »

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 19:21 »
Result: 120hz (MA) and  60hz (KEF)
 :(
That is good to know the problem is not within your MA spk ;)
I will set all spk to large then follow by auto calibration ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 19:24 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 20:43 »
That is good to know the problem is not within your MA spk ;)
I will set all spk to large then follow by auto calibration ;D

Peng, may I know why set all spk to "large" before calibration?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 20:45 »
Bro,
I am sorry if I make you become no longer a patient man and I don't think I was wasting everyone's time here.
Because of this thread that's why I received few suggestion (warm my heart) to try and compare with other speakers. If I don't have then I should try to move around with different location.

Since changing speakers is easier way and my friend lend me his speakers that's why I adopted this idea and tried to use on to it and see how his speaker response to my room acoustically (different speakers will response to my room differently).
I used speaker location as my fix factors to find out.
Whatever finding, I shared here so other brothers may learn too

I'm glad you do that. All the best with your tweaks :)

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 21:16 »
Peng, may I know why set all spk to "large" before calibration?
if he try it and report back , we will know.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 21:33 »
if he try it and report back , we will know.

There must be some kind of basis that you form your recommendation on...pls enlighten me. I will like to learn from the guru, please.

Offline flowerpot99

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2016, 21:46 »
Had used the RX1 as surround before. After calibration, aud set it as 80hz for my surround LR and 60hz for my surround back. Probably due to the surround back being located at a corner. For aud to set RX1 above 150hz seems to be an error since the speaker was designed to work lower.

Some areas I could think of:
1. Are the RX1 port closed?
2. Was the terminal linked? Ie is the brass plate or wire connected properly? Else you are just using the highs or lows.
3. What are the cross over for your other speakers? If they are all quite high (even if u are using floor stander or huge speakers which is suppose to give a lower crossover). Then I would suspect the following issues:
a. You have a huge room or has with lots of material which absorb the lower frequency
b. You speakers are underpowered. From my experience, when I used a better power amp, the crossover that aud sets drops for the same speaker at the same location.
c. The placement of the aud mic is no good. You could be at a null or near some chairs with high backing or such.

Another suggestion, if your receiver allows, do check the EQ results. It will give you some idea on your room node or if the mic is placed correctly. I.e. The EQ should not be extreme. If it is true that your speakers drops off at 150hz, aud will need to add quite a bit of gain at the lower end.

May not be right but frankly I do not think a 150hz crossover is fine as it could either means missing FR between whatever was set for the sub to the speaker or the sub has to set a higher crossover which makes it easier to be detected. Some times it sounds ok as the missing FR may actually helps to make the sound cleaner. Especially if the room EQ is not good around that range or bass is muddy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 21:54 by flowerpot99 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 08:09 »
Had used the RX1 as surround before. After calibration, aud set it as 80hz for my surround LR and 60hz for my surround back. Probably due to the surround back being located at a corner. For aud to set RX1 above 150hz seems to be an error since the speaker was designed to work lower.

Some areas I could think of:
1. Are the RX1 port closed?
2. Was the terminal linked? Ie is the brass plate or wire connected properly? Else you are just using the highs or lows.
3. What are the cross over for your other speakers? If they are all quite high (even if u are using floor stander or huge speakers which is suppose to give a lower crossover). Then I would suspect the following issues:
a. You have a huge room or has with lots of material which absorb the lower frequency
b. You speakers are underpowered. From my experience, when I used a better power amp, the crossover that aud sets drops for the same speaker at the same location.
c. The placement of the aud mic is no good. You could be at a null or near some chairs with high backing or such.

Another suggestion, if your receiver allows, do check the EQ results. It will give you some idea on your room node or if the mic is placed correctly. I.e. The EQ should not be extreme. If it is true that your speakers drops off at 150hz, aud will need to add quite a bit of gain at the lower end.

May not be right but frankly I do not think a 150hz crossover is fine as it could either means missing FR between whatever was set for the sub to the speaker or the sub has to set a higher crossover which makes it easier to be detected. Some times it sounds ok as the missing FR may actually helps to make the sound cleaner. Especially if the room EQ is not good around that range or bass is muddy.
Kudos flowerpot99, a very well thought out recommendations, paying details to what might have contributed to the unusually high crossover for a more than capable mains and come up with a slew of recommendations.

I hope we can see more such quality responses from hidden experts here. This is one of the better craft out responses I have seen for a long time. I hate seeing responses which doesn't offer any explanation on why and how he comes to a conclusion of things.

Thumbs up!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:27 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37 »
Upping this thread for knowledge sharing of how speaker crossover set by the AVR for different kind of speakers and how it interacts with the room nodes which contribute to final crossover settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk