Author Topic: Given the priority to choose between room treatment and Room calibration  (Read 3064 times)

Offline kennyluck2000

• Trade Count: (0)
I have a friend once tell me why you still need room treatment when you have room correction software to do the job... ::) ::) ::)
Any advise on which option can provide your system with a better SQ given a choice to choose over another?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 23:52 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline rayleh

To me, it should be a balance between both. Room treatment has more to consider like WAF while room EQ is easier to implement. Both have limitations and they will kind of complement each other. My 2 cents worth of opinion.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Room treatment benefits others. Especially those whom complains on noise/sound leak disturbance.
Room calibration benefits one self. Where one's sweetspot often affected by speakers placement as well as room limitations interference.

Online wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
I think both is required. There are issues that can NOT be solved, and should NOT be tackled using EQ. The only way to solve these problems is via proper setup, acoustic treatment etc.

While state of the art dsp like dirac etc can work some wonders in an otherwise bare room, the best results will still be achieved with combined of EQ After proper treatment and setup. No shortcuts.

It is the foundation, can't build a good structure with a shaky foundation.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Online wechnivag

Room treatment benefits others. Especially those whom complains on noise/sound leak disturbance.
Room calibration benefits one self. Where one's sweetspot often affected by speakers placement as well as room limitations interference.
Actually there is a difference between acoustic treatment for performance, and noise isolation, which does not directly benefit performance.

Typically, there is some cross benefits. Treatment for acoustic performance does have benefits of reducing noise leakage, it just sounds less loud outside because of the reduction reverberation.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
I have a friend once tell me why you still need room treatment when you have room correction software to do the job... ::) ::) ::)
Any advise on which option can provide your system with a better SQ given a choice to choose over another?

The phrasing of the question is "abit off" to begin with. You make it sound like it is an "either-or" when in actual fact, you should be asking whether it is worth spending additional money for room treatment. And the answer is yes if room calibration is unable to solve some of the frequency range that exist in your listening environment. But bear in mind that sometimes the easiest tweak is to move your listening position (MLP) - which doesn't cost you anything :P

First and foremost, room calibration comes as a package (whether it is Audyssey, AccuEQ, YPAO, MCACC, RoomEQ, ARC etc) as long you are using a digital amp/AVR. Room treatment is usually an "on-going" endeavour. You may (at your best interest and effort) to do some room treatment like carpet, thick drapes/curtains, furnishings and perhaps a couple of diffusors and absorbers for starters to reduce echo, reverberations and boundary gains in those corners respectively. This will inevitably benefit the room calibration as half the battle is won if you do your ground work properly at the beginning.

Now comes to post-room treatment option AFTER you get a sense of what your room is capable and lacking. If you are satisfy with your pre-room treatment, there is really no need to spend more money. However if it is the latter, then extra room treatment may benefit you. First you will have to start to experiment with strategic placement of acoustic panels/materials to treat the "existing" problems you encounter; with the help of REW if you know how to use it.

In short, get a good room calibration to do a proper EQ is a must and spend "sensibly" on room treatment depending on the type of problems or issues you've encountered along the way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:33 by desray »

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
To Ts
My question is: is your “friend” a pro in this line?
As bro Des mentioned, it’s not a throwaway line like that.
Neither are a one time press button solution where you simply do it and viola! Your system is fine.
If you read this forum regularly, it takes EFFORT and countless tweaks to get it right. Lots of measurements.
Unless you have a perfect room and it already is acoustically ideal, you do your auto-eq then measure then treat and repeat until the room is up to your expectations.
However realistically not everyone goes so far and stop at simply using the audyysey function once and that’s it. It’s up to you and your friend as to how far you want to take this ...
Cheers
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
Should do both. Do room treatment first; most of us won't be able to go to the extreme of studio quality treatment; maximize the room treatment possible constrained by budget & WAF. Then do the room calibration / EQ; with a well treated room, the room cal won't need to work so hard to get the sound u want.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:03 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
I feel the same too that both are impt. Agreed that it's difficult to approach it as an either or qn

One big factor on treatment to consider into the equation is also waf and family comfort. Many of us have living room setups and non dedicated room.

If my waf would allow, I probably would have done some form of treatment. But because of waf, my priority is into calibration and the small ways that would yield better sound but satisfy waf/family acceptance e.g. placement/ angling of speakers, having a DSP, shifting my MLP during HT time.

Maybe another additional question to consider/add here is - how many of us feel treatment is equally impt as calibration but had to forego it due to family/waf.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:22 by sevenz »

BadEnglish

I have a friend once tell me praying 6 times a day will help improvement on SQ and PQ of HiFi and HT.

Since then I pray 6 times a day.

Offline kennyluck2000

I have a friend once tell me praying 6 times a day will help improvement on SQ and PQ of HiFi and HT.

Since then I pray 6 times a day.

;D ;D ;D :-* :-*
cscbb  :o :o :o just wonder if he was inside  :P

Offline kennyluck2000

To Ts
My question is: is your “friend” a pro in this line?
As bro Des mentioned, it’s not a throwaway line like that.
Neither are a one time press button solution where you simply do it and viola! Your system is fine.
If you read this forum regularly, it takes EFFORT and countless tweaks to get it right. Lots of measurements.
Unless you have a perfect room and it already is acoustically ideal, you do your auto-eq then measure then treat and repeat until the room is up to your expectations.
However realistically not everyone goes so far and stop at simply using the audyysey function once and that’s it. It’s up to you and your friend as to how far you want to take this ...
Cheers

My "friend" is a "Pro" in this line..  ::)
Ya have to agree with you is not just press one button solution

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
My "friend" is a "Pro" in this line..  ::)
Ya have to agree with you is not just press one button solution
Pro like ppl can offer $150 for audio calibration?
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
There's nothing wrong with charging another for a small fee(where this can often a subjective value upon buyer) between a service provider and a engaging party.

If one is buaya enuff to charge 4figure or even mid~high 3 figure amount to a noob, this service provider better be backed with certification to his expertise, full service including installation and repositioning as well as equipments to show service buyer that his tools are the aide to his profession.
Or else when lobang kenna picha by another person after he learned that this noob had paid the wrong price... The later stage can be very messy...

Offline moonlight

There's nothing wrong with charging another for a small fee(where this can often a subjective value upon buyer) between a service provider and a engaging party.

If one is buaya enuff to charge 4figure or even mid~high 3 figure amount to a noob, this service provider better be backed with certification to his expertise, full service including installation and repositioning as well as equipments to show service buyer that his tools are the aide to his profession.
Or else when lobang kenna picha by another person after he learned that this noob had paid the wrong price... The later stage can be very messy...

I agree fully with your comment. A small fee (token) is usually meant for his time spending and taxi.

A Sound Engineer could put up $1000 price tag or even more. They will come again if you are not satisfied. We can find the cheaper version from one shop at Adelphi.
They will charge you even higher if you ask them to set up your hi-fi and lay cables. You ask them to come only already kena charge.
My friend engaged an acoustic sales guy who charged him $500 just to measure his room and advice, so he waved these charges when he replaced his acoustic foam.

Nothing is cheap in Singapore... one-time dinner (30 minutes mostly, 3 people) could cost us $300...

Pro like ppl can offer $150 for audio calibration?

Pro impossible charge you $150... you are lucky guy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 21:35 by moonlight »