Author Topic: Atmos: discs vs Streaming  (Read 3748 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Atmos: discs vs Streaming
« on: April 17, 2019, 13:38 »
These days a lot of movies have Atmos lossy via streaming, how do you feel about that?
Is there a perceptible difference? How hard do you have to listen to hear them?

I tried some movies that I have the discs and Apple TV and surprisingly, the difference is more subtle than I thought..

How about you all?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Atmos: discs vs Streaming
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 21:12 »
I still feel Atmos is more distinctive from the disc. I have a couple of movies on ATV with Atmos and I have to turn up the volume more. This is only my personal opinion. There is a difference watching Ready Player One from the disc and from ATV.

Online kikoman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 21:22 »
Physical disc is still better than streaming for me.
Marantz AV8805 MM8003 MC207
Panasonic UB9000K Japan Limited
Pioneer LX800
Gryphon diablo 120
Thiel 2.4 SE
Seaton submersive

BadEnglish

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 21:24 »
Atmos can be lossy ? Ha

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 21:50 »
Your decoder/ processor can display the audio transfer bit-rate from either sources or not?
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:13 »
These days a lot of movies have Atmos lossy via streaming, how do you feel about that?
Is there a perceptible difference? How hard do you have to listen to hear them?

I tried some movies that I have the discs and Apple TV and surprisingly, the difference is more subtle than I thought..

How about you all?

Difference is significant, the streaming version of Dolby digital + Atmos is not in full bandwidth, Bass is one section that is obvious, then it’s the resonance

The full bandwidth version which is truehd Atmos container has tons of details that gives a better overall experience , much better definition, details and precise to the point. Bass layering much much better on full version.

Once hdmi 2.1 kicks in, we should be able to experience the full true HD Atmos vide eARC, not too far away... coming soon...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 16:53 »
Difference is significant, the streaming version of Dolby digital + Atmos is not in full bandwidth, Bass is one section that is obvious, then it’s the resonance

The full bandwidth version which is truehd Atmos container has tons of details that gives a better overall experience , much better definition, details and precise to the point. Bass layering much much better on full version.

Once hdmi 2.1 kicks in, we should be able to experience the full true HD Atmos vide eARC, not too far away... coming soon...

+1 with Roni.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 22:48 »
Whilst physical media is not bound for the Smithsonian yet, streaming has taken off in a big way and you can have your ice cream in many different flavours now..

The current main players in this world of movie streaming are
1 - Apple TV and the iTunes ecosystem
2- Google
3- Amazon Video

So, the million dollar question is are they all the same?

Well a friend and I decided to do an informal comparison.

He had access to VPN and we could use all three apps on my Sony, which can do very good HDR and Dolby Vision playback. It’s a light canon and you can read about my review below.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/09/apple-tv-vs-movie-anywhere-vs-amazon.html

Also when we were comparing HDR vs DV, there was a difference... 

What about you? Do you feel the same? 

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline rayleh

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 23:13 »
Thanks Pete for the comparison. I can’t discern between UHD and ATV for video but audio difference is quite significant imo. Maybe I am just using a low end player like the Xbox One.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 18:45 »
Not really a fair comparison between HDR10 vs Dolby vision, it should be HDR10+ vs Dolby vision

Dolby vision is definitely better as it uses dynamic tone mapping vs HDR10 that’s on static , static meaning metadata is decoded from the beginning for the entire movie and it’s fixed, it doesn’t change. Dynamic will provide mapping scene by scene that adjust brightness, contrast and colour on the go.. that’s already a big difference in how the two formats work

A fair comparison would be HDR10+ vs Dolby vision

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal