Author Topic: Help needed for Netflix 4K issue  (Read 1459 times)

Offline keai

• Trade Count: (0)
Help needed for Netflix 4K issue
« on: September 08, 2018, 18:20 »
Need some help here from forum bros:

Recently bought an Epson TW8300 projector and a Xbox One X to enjoy 4K Netflix with Atmos, and intended to try some games in big screen too. The problem I'm facing now is: I can't get any Netflix ultra HD movies or shows through Xbox. Initially I thought it's my TW8300 is not able to support some features of 4K as it's not a native 4K projector. Bro Desray suggested me to directly connect xbox to TW8300, so I tried last night, and all the ultra 4K shows appeared, too many to count. When I connect it back to AVR to TW8300, all the Ultra HD shows became HD only.

Did some research on my current AVR (Marantz SR7009) and realised the AVR is the culprit instead, it is not capable to passthrough 4K signal, though its label shows 4k (50/60Hz).  :'(

So now what would be the easiest way for me to enjoy 4K shows in Netflix, change AVR is able to eliminate all problems, however, it's costly and I have yet decided which AVR to upgrade to at the moment, and I'm pretty happy with 7009 sound quality. If I'd like to stay with 7009 for the time being, which of below solutions are more practical:
- get a Hdfury Integral to separate sound and video, but not sure whether it supports Atmos and 4K HDR at the same time
- get a egreat H10, similar to Hdfury Integral but much cheaper, however, not sure about its quality, read some comments online that it only support 7.1 instead of Atmos, anyone using H10 at the moment care to share?
- get a 4k blu-ray player with dual HDMI port (like Oppo) and capable of streaming Netflix 4k/atmos, is such player available? sorry, I'm not very into player so not too sure about which brand and model to get
- get a media player with dual HDMI ports (so far I only know egreat a11 has dual ports), not sure whether it could stream Netflix 4k with Atmos
- any other solutions/suggestions?

Many thanks for any comments......

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 18:23 by keai »

Offline rayleh

Re: Help needed for Netflix 4K issue
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 18:31 »
You can get a SIIG EDID HDMI splitter from Amazon. I was using it before I changed new AVR. Atmos did work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 18:49 by rayleh »

Offline keai

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 18:54 »
You can get a SIIG EDID HDMI splitter from Amazon. I was using it before I changed new AVR. Atmos did work.
any specific brand and model to recommend bro?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 19:22 »
Need some help here from forum bros:

Recently bought an Epson TW8300 projector and a Xbox One X to enjoy 4K Netflix with Atmos, and intended to try some games in big screen too. The problem I'm facing now is: I can't get any Netflix ultra HD movies or shows through Xbox. Initially I thought it's my TW8300 is not able to support some features of 4K as it's not a native 4K projector. Bro Desray suggested me to directly connect xbox to TW8300, so I tried last night, and all the ultra 4K shows appeared, too many to count. When I connect it back to AVR to TW8300, all the Ultra HD shows became HD only.

Did some research on my current AVR (Marantz SR7009) and realised the AVR is the culprit instead, it is not capable to passthrough 4K signal, though its label shows 4k (50/60Hz).  :'(

So now what would be the easiest way for me to enjoy 4K shows in Netflix, change AVR is able to eliminate all problems, however, it's costly and I have yet decided which AVR to upgrade to at the moment, and I'm pretty happy with 7009 sound quality. If I'd like to stay with 7009 for the time being, which of below solutions are more practical:
- get a Hdfury Integral to separate sound and video, but not sure whether it supports Atmos and 4K HDR at the same time
- get a egreat H10, similar to Hdfury Integral but much cheaper, however, not sure about its quality, read some comments online that it only support 7.1 instead of Atmos, anyone using H10 at the moment care to share?
- get a 4k blu-ray player with dual HDMI port (like Oppo) and capable of streaming Netflix 4k/atmos, is such player available? sorry, I'm not very into player so not too sure about which brand and model to get
- get a media player with dual HDMI ports (so far I only know egreat a11 has dual ports), not sure whether it could stream Netflix 4k with Atmos
- any other solutions/suggestions?

Many thanks for any comments......

Bro Keai, glad you finally discovered the root of the problem. Recall when I say HDCP 2.2 to allow 4K streaming services like Netflix to allow decoding of 4K DRM content. I bet there is NO PROBLEM connecting a 4K UHD bluray player to the SR 7009 since it is able to support 4K/60 pass through with HDMI 2.0. The Archilles heel of this great AVR is that it is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. :(

Fortunately this can be easily resolved with a HDMI 2.0a 4K splitter with EDID.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 19:30 by desray »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 21:37 »
any specific brand and model to recommend bro?

Brand SIIG. Do a search at Amazon, pity I just sold mine recently after changing AVR

Offline keai

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 00:18 »
Bro Keai, glad you finally discovered the root of the problem. Recall when I say HDCP 2.2 to allow 4K streaming services like Netflix to allow decoding of 4K DRM content. I bet there is NO PROBLEM connecting a 4K UHD bluray player to the SR 7009 since it is able to support 4K/60 pass through with HDMI 2.0. The Archilles heel of this great AVR is that it is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. :(

Fortunately this can be easily resolved with a HDMI 2.0a 4K splitter with EDID.

you are absolutely right bro Desray, never know HDCP 2.2 is a must for Netflix streaming even though you mentioned that earlier, always learn through a hard way, haha

Brand SIIG. Do a search at Amazon, pity I just sold mine recently after changing AVR

many thanks bro rayleh, is this the one? don't want to grab the wrong one, :)
SIIG Premium 1x4 HDMI Splitter 4K 60HZ HDR with EDID - 18Gbps - HDMI 2.0 - HDCP 2.2 - Aluminum Housing - 3D, 4:4:4, UHD 4 port, 1 in and 4 out
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Premium-HDMI-Splitter-60HZ/dp/B074B2SNGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536423177&sr=8-1&keywords=siig+premium+4k+60hz+hdr+1x4+hdmi+splitter+with+edid&dpID=41YjQn0iMSL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Offline rayleh

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21 »
Yes tHis is the one. Note that it comes with US plug.

Offline keai

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:08 »
Yes tHis is the one. Note that it comes with US plug.

cool, thanks for confirmation bro, US plug is not a concern, as long as it serve the purpose :)

Offline keai

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 14:00 »
got the HDMI splitter last night, plug in, adjusted EDID, and it works great, now 4k + atmos enabled in Netflix, many thanks to bro Desray and rayleh!

Offline keai

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 14:10 »
and forgot to mention, the video part i didnt connect to projector directly, i plug to the wireless HD transmitter, and this small guy is able to deliver 4k signal to projector seamlessly,

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 14:13 by keai »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 17:44 »
Glad that you are enjoying the full 4k glory.

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 10:32 »
Hi Keai

I m facing some issues with the SIIG splitter
I can’t get HD audio to my Onkyo but able to get 4K video to my TV using the splitter
The source is Nvidia Shield

May I know which EDID settings you are on pls

Thx
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II