Author Topic: Why cdplayer is better than streamer?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline ivanlyf_2011

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Why cdplayer is better than streamer?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 16:24 »
If I may join in the conversation - the Bryston BCD-3 is also using a CD drive module from Stream Unlimited, just like the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T

GPGT: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bryston-bcd-3-cd-player/?page=2

Update: There seems to be conflicting info -> James Tanner said in audio circle that the drive is SONY KHM313 but The Absolute Sound said it's Stream Unlimited

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138639.120
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 16:27 by ivanlyf_2011 »
Bowers and Wilkin 705S2, Sennheiser HD800, Bryston B135 Cubed Integrated Amplifier, Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, Roksan Kandy K2 CD Player, Isotek Evo 3 Polaris, Isotek Evo 3 Sirius.

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 07:20 »
Well Andrew last year I did manage to listen to a set up at my friends audio store.
System consisted of Dcs Vivaldi One played through a set of FM Acoustics system including speakers.
Mega expensive set up. Sounded very good but is it mega good, probably yes psychologically to the person
who throws that much money for an audio system. No I have not brought my little Sdtrans/dac set up for a direct comparo but one day soon I shall do just that.

Fair enough... So what did you compare the SDTrans to at home when you said it was an ear opener?? To your PC or what? I’m very curious because, for whatever reason, you saw the need to disparage commercial platforms… 

I decided to google SDTrans384 again, and this time included your name… imagine my surprise to see that in fact, you’ve basically been on this very same diatribe since 2015; So, for 4 or so years you’ve been telling people that the best Commercial platforms out there are not much better then your home (“DIY”) Redbook playback … Well, lucky you eh, no need to spend any more!!!  ;)

You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 15:36 »
Triode Corp CD5, Wadia 861 & Shenya Cdp Andrew. Coincidentally all 3 cdp uses the same PCM 1704 dac. Needless to say after the showdown, I sold bolth Wadia & Triode Corp cdp. Keeping only the Shenya just for testing purposes.
Did you give a listen to the music clip Andrew, that's the sound of my set up.
May not appeal to all but in audiophile terms, it's all there in SQ & this is plane Red Book playback.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 00:12 »
Triode Corp CD5, Wadia 861 & Shenya Cdp Andrew. Coincidentally all 3 cdp uses the same PCM 1704 dac. Needless to say after the showdown, I sold bolth Wadia & Triode Corp cdp. Keeping only the Shenya just for testing purposes.

I think you misunderstood my question. I wasn’t asking about the CDPs that you compared your SDTrans+DAC to… You posted specifically about the SDTrans claiming it as an “ear opener”, and arguing about “commercial platforms”; 

Too bad that you Gents are into commercial products. There's this little Sd card transport name SdTrans384 from
Japan. This little gadget is truly a ear opener. Do a google search if your interested.

Cheers

So, I’m asking what other digital streaming platform(s) (discrete or otherwise) did you compare it to make the above claim?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 05:29 »
Had a guy call the shop the other day asking if we had demos. Errr yes. And he asked if he could bring in his own gear to test. I asked if it was certified for use in Australia. He said no. I said no.

Sounds like some guys just want validation their designs sound better than “really expensive gear”.

I don’t doubt that tweaking your own DIY design can sound better subjectively to you. But it’s a sample size of one.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 07:45 »
 We all look for different things in sound. What is important is it sounds good to you
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2019, 10:22 »
We all look for different things in sound. What is important is it sounds good to you

Yes but then don't waste time bringing it to shops asking for demos to self sooth. Masturbation best done in the privacy of the home
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2019, 11:06 »
Yes but then don't waste time bringing it to shops asking for demos to self sooth. Masturbation best done in the privacy of the home

Absolutely. Some will also ask for demo in shops for something they intend to buy from someone else ;D

Perhaps this is why sometimes we get cold reception from some sales ppl?
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2019, 16:12 »
Too bad that you Gents are into commercial products. There's this little Sd card transport name SdTrans384 from
Japan. This little gadget is truly a ear opener. Do a google search if your interested.

Jeffrie. Thanks for the sharing.

I will buy one of these to play with when I start building a DAC.

Offline lkypeter

• So much more to discover in classical music
    • Politics Economics Business Altruism Music Singapore
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 00:52 »
DH, Jerome, Pete MIA for long time.
1. Current Digital Setup Synology 8017+ <LAN>MacMini running Jriver 25 <LAN> SOTM SMS200 <USB> Ayon Stealth DAC...…
2. New Experiment Synology 8017 running minimserver and minimstreamer <LAN> SOTM SMS200 <USB> Ayon Stealth DAC
Using MConnecnt Control Point on iPad to direct music.

Surprised that (2) sounded for forward and transparent with nothing changed. I can ditch MacMini and JRiver.

Only thing MinimServer and Minim Streamer are free ware and only have bare bones and cannot read pdf liner notes important for classical music especially.

Any comments from sifu as to why?
http://lkypeter.blogspot.com
Gradient Revolution MarkIV Active Speakers,Ayon Stealth DAC,SoTM SMS200,NanoTech Golden Strada#301powercables,Synology1817+NAS,MacMiniCore2DUO8GB,YamahaRVX3067,SonyBDPS790,DenonX4000,PioneerBDP180

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 08:37 »
No Sifu here... but my guess... Simplicity has it's advantages... the fact that it's bare bones.. means very simple.. less things to go wrong.

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 13:15 »
Memory retention fcuk up everything

;D
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 13:58 »
With the plethora of CDPs out there even the so called high end ones still have SQ differences between them & mind you expensive does not equal great sound ya. Now that I can afford at times I have thoughts of looking for a ML 31.5 transport which was my dream back then. The engineering that went into this transport is really something else.

Offline lkypeter

• So much more to discover in classical music
    • Politics Economics Business Altruism Music Singapore
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 01:20 »
Digital music uses computer storage and retrieval technology as the base. Those in hard disk or memory knows that there are actually many read write errors but the check summing allows reconstruction of actual data. Math sleuths of NUS high school genre can sit you dow on it.

In the Analogue days, error correction did not exist as maths but signal to sound ratio if i recall and recordings were made on open reel and some direct lathe cut to LPs. These direct cuts and first pressings were so valued that a high price is paid and prized by collectors. Not sure if they were worth the additional. Problem with records is wear and tear over time. Tapes also have flux drop and mold in our weather.

Am not that old to be playing those but my grandpa started me when i was about 7 on his thorens table and uher open reel.

http://lkypeter.blogspot.com
Gradient Revolution MarkIV Active Speakers,Ayon Stealth DAC,SoTM SMS200,NanoTech Golden Strada#301powercables,Synology1817+NAS,MacMiniCore2DUO8GB,YamahaRVX3067,SonyBDPS790,DenonX4000,PioneerBDP180