Author Topic: How do you prevent your sub from 'walking'  (Read 5420 times)

Offline synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do you prevent your sub from 'walking'
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2019, 11:22 »
Can buy big bag of abrasive sand (aluminum oxides) or steel shot locally without audiophile price  :D
http://www.pan-abrasives.com/abrasives/?sort=featured&page=1
Note that the photos on the website are macro photos. The actual grain is much much smaller like sand and the fine grit is like powder. Buy the most rough grit. Can also be used to fill up the speaker stand.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2019, 11:39 »
Can buy big bag of abrasive sand (aluminum oxides) or steel shot locally without audiophile price  :D
Note that the photos on the website are macro photos. The actual grain is much much smaller like sand and the fine grit is like powder. Buy the most rough grit. Can also be used to fill up the speaker stand.
Steel shots looks like BB bullets

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2019, 13:41 »
Great option! How does pricing look like? Do they sell by weight, by kilo?

Also, for PID, it is important that the beads do not settle and pack solid over time. They need to remain mobile for the vibration energy absorption to work. For this, imo there are 2 factors.
1. Smooth beads are better than rough, which tends to pack down and lock up over time.
2. The compartment holding the beads, wide and shallow (like a hollow isolation platform) is better than a tall and narrow container (like speaker stand column) as there's less chance for the beads to pack tight over time. If you think about it, the beads at the bottom of a speaker stand are basically packed solid from the weight of the beads above, can't really move . They will just act like traditional mass loading, no more PID effect.

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline synthesis

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2019, 15:16 »

They sell in a bag. My office buy grit 60 aluminum oxides blasting material (like sand) once in a while and if I remember correctly the price is about $60 for a bag of 25kg.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2019, 18:11 »

They sell in a bag. My office buy grit 60 aluminum oxides blasting material (like sand) once in a while and if I remember correctly the price is about $60 for a bag of 25kg.
Wah MO coming... lai lai..
I can return my Phoenix rice to my wife then.. ha ha
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2019, 20:08 »
Lai lai MO !! Am still sourcing around !! Definitely works for me

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2019, 07:42 »

Also, for PID, it is important that the beads do not settle and pack solid over time. They need to remain mobile for the vibration energy absorption to work. For this, imo there are 2 factors.
1. Smooth beads are better than rough, which tends to pack down and lock up over time.
2. The compartment holding the beads, wide and shallow (like a hollow isolation platform) is better than a tall and narrow container (like speaker stand column) as there's less chance for the beads to pack tight over time. If you think about it, the beads at the bottom of a speaker stand are basically packed solid from the weight of the beads above, can't really move . They will just act like traditional mass loading, no more PID effect.

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Nice ! I concur! I think the theory stands !

Must have some air GAP between the beads , that’s best . That’s why I find the ball bearing type of footers are also good footers, the absorption for vibrational energy is effective

Online petetherock

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2019, 07:48 »
I’m getting some Atabites soon for a stand so I might get an extra tub for this purpose..
The loose bits in a solid plastic tub seem to be ideal.

My gear:

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2019, 13:00 »
Ok I ordered the steel shots, recommended by bro synthesis, delivery to my place today 25kg pack x2 , got in the ones with the smallest diameter  0.18 ~ 0.6mm size, smallest available

Close up looks like this

This will fit into the bean bag cover from Lazada, $15 , comes with zipper and inner cloth cover etc for easy washing. Not that I plan to wash it daily...

This will form the rectangular shape and sit perfectly on the stacked pair of seatons , 25 kg of movable steel shots sitting on stacked subs to absorb cabinet vibrations

Nice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2019, 17:42 »
Ok received the steel shots

Waiting for the bean bag cover now, so temporarily use newspaper and some flyers stacked on the sub first, 25kg just nice . Compact Size packed like this pic below, the size of a 5kg rice sack . Once the bean bag is in, load in the steel shots so they roam freely on a flat surface with the widest coverage above sub cabinet

The pic below is on steel shots with size s170, the one I got is S110 much smaller

Online petetherock

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2019, 18:24 »
👍
Might ask you for contact. Let us know how it sounds.
And thanks everyone for contributing

My gear:

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2019, 19:54 »
👍
Might ask you for contact. Let us know how it sounds.
And thanks everyone for contributing

Bro, started with you asking the questions, ended up with me buying and implementing 🤣, lol

But works ! Good, it already was effective using a 10kg bean bag , so pretty sure this steel shots will be as good if not better

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2019, 08:10 »
Yes and I forgot to mention one more important thing that I found would be helpful, it’s good to have the placement of the sack cover all the way up front, like how we wear a cap , slightly forward by 6-8cm. So all of the surface of cabinet + 6-8cm in front

The reflective energy up the ceiling is eliminated , and if the subs are placed at corners, then it’s very good.

UNLESS..... the stacked subs are all the way high up to the ceiling... sort of like line source subs

Online petetherock

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2019, 08:24 »
Bro
Can you share the Lazada link?
Can’t seem to find it
Thanks 🙏

My gear:

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41 »
Bro
Can you share the Lazada link?
Can’t seem to find it
Thanks 🙏

Here is one I got  https://s.lazada.sg/s.eb9s

You can try 45 x45cm, depending on how big your sub or 60x45cm, various sizes. Measure your sub caibinet size

https://s.lazada.sg/s.3zSg  Pillow protector with zip will work as well, so u can stuff it inside the $1 pillow cover, then another layer of pillow protector with design etc.

Flatten it out and let it sit loosely on the cabinet flat .

I went for the finest steel shot as I don’t want to be hearing steel shot rumbling sound