Author Topic: Survey: How does your eyes feel about HDR PQ?  (Read 482 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Survey: How does your eyes feel about HDR PQ?
« on: April 07, 2019, 20:26 »
Just finished calibrating HDR10 on my OLED TV. The manufacturer and display calibrators recommended to leave brightness/contrast/OLED light as its default and not touch them as it would affect the overall tone mapping.

I watched a few HDR scenes. My impressions are still that, though the intensity of the colors seems to be better than SDR, but the overall PQ is too glaring for my eyes in a dark room environment. Fatigue sets in easily. And my room is not even totally dark. But I find HDR in a bright room is very good. 

So I'm wondering how everyone finds HDR PQ.

For those of us who had calibrated HDR10 on our displays, I've included additional qns for us to poll after HDR10 calibration.  :)

And say if you found dark room environment glaring, could you share how you overcome this? 

:)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Survey: How does your eyes feel about HDR PQ?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 20:35 »
It can be glaring in the dark room so I always have mine Philips Hue on next to my screen.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 20:59 »
Just finished calibrating HDR10 on my OLED TV. The manufacturer and display calibrators recommended to leave brightness/contrast/OLED light as its default and not touch them as it would affect the overall tone mapping.

I watched a few HDR scenes. My impressions are still that, though the intensity of the colors seems to be better than SDR, but the overall PQ is too glaring for my eyes in a dark room environment. Fatigue sets in easily. And my room is not even totally dark. But I find HDR in a bright room is very good. 

So I'm wondering how everyone finds HDR PQ.

For those of us who had calibrated HDR10 on our displays, I've included additional qns for us to poll after HDR10 calibration.  :)

And say if you found dark room environment glaring, could you share how you overcome this? 

:)

Your question seems to be limited to TV owners only...if you are a Projector user, our experience will be the opposite. Never enough light output.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 21:01 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 21:00 »
It can be glaring in the dark room so I always have mine Philips Hue on next to my screen.

+1. That's what I will recommend as well..bias lighting for watching OLED TV in a dark environment will greatly help with eye fatigue. :)