Author Topic: Subwoofer isolation , spikes , footers, Auralex Subdude  (Read 4087 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Recently an interesting topic re-surfaced on isolation

It was posted by Ethan winer, acoustician who doesn’t seem to believe in all these accessories .

However I beg to differ as I found that having the spikes and ball bearing footers brings about a very clean sounding midbass when the subs are anchored on the floor. Maybe because mine is a wooden  laminated timber floor, so it is much more reflective and sound bounces off easily as opposed to concrete or cement

Here is what I’m using as absorbers , cheap stuff from Taobao $24, but very good, I have this fitted under my oppo 205 and lyngdorf as well

For the subwoofer spikes, I changed them to this and the cabinets doesn’t vibrate as much during intense LFE playback. Here is what’s written on Dayton site

“Rigidly coupling a loudspeaker enclosure to a floor by means of a "spiking" system dramatically improves clarity, stereo imaging, and bass response.

Product Highlights

• Dramatically improves clarity, stereo imaging, and bass response
• Great results when used with subwoofer systems

But the footers I am using ball bearing type footer, effect is very good for me.

Somehow the experience is different. It DOES make a difference for me.

Of course some will argue having it to decouple to prevent sound from disturbing neighbours downstairs . But that’s just simple, lower the volume and done

How about you ? Any difference when it comes to actual listening having these isolation?

Does it improve your bass? Especially if you are on concrete floor And using these isolation?

But Here is the Quote from Ethan winer

This is is a public service reminder that isolation products for audio equipment are bullshit. It's true that record players can skip when you walk around the room and the floor isn't solid. But putting isolation doodads under electronics and wires etc is just a silly waste of money. Even loudspeakers and subwoofers don't generally benefit from isolation, as proven by my tests linked below. A competent speaker cabinet is rigid and massive enough not to vibrate, so there's nothing to transfer through a table top or into the floor. All vibration emits as sound waves from the speaker cone's motion.

I'm posting this today because my friend John Brandt and I were both unfriended and blocked yesterday by someone who sells BS isolation pads. This guy posts about his products all the time, and John asked him to prove they do anything useful. So he posted a graph showing how much they block vibration from passing through. But that's not the issue! All that matters is how the audio in the room changes. And of course he can't show that. So as always happens, he blocked us and I assume he deleted our pointed comments and questions. I won't name this guy here, though John or others are welcome to. He's a professional acoustics guy, so he knows very well that his products are snake oil. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:32 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Re: Subwoofer isolation , spikes , footers, Auralex Subdude
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40 »
Another good question is then, does it take away the tactile response ?

Especially if using the auralex subdude type of isolation

I would think that the svs footers for subs would do a better job, one like this

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 23:10 »
The SVS footers definitely worth the investment.

I've got 20 of them. Including the 4 pieces that just came in today for my modified cabs. Apparently 4 per sub cab ain't enough after my sub cabs been modded.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 23:21 »
The SVS footers definitely worth the investment.

I've got 20 of them. Including the 4 pieces that just came in today for my modified cabs. Apparently 4 per sub cab ain't enough after my sub cabs been modded.

Nice to know it works for u too !! Are you on concrete floor ?

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 19:06 »
Nice to know it works for u too !! Are you on concrete floor ?
Nope bro, on vinyl flooring. My false ceiling broke previously due to vibration. And bro djblackfm rec these (of course I'm skeptical at first). Bought 2 pack of 4, re Rew and tune, performance and result are exceptional!

Then bought 2 pack of 4 for both my midbass module few months back.

After modify my 18 inch cabs, discovered it can't hold the additional weight, and I bought another pack of 4 lol. Footers are REALLY good!

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 19:09 »
Yes , svs footer are good footers . It  help to isolate vibration . Buy this with confidence .

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 19:14 »
Yes , svs footer are good footers . It  help to isolate vibration . Buy this with confidence .
Not only that, the rumbling of the ULF can still perform very well, which is the point I'm talking about me being skeptical in the first place lol

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 19:28 »
Not only that, the rumbling of the ULF can still perform very well, which is the point I'm talking about me being skeptical in the first place lol

Nice so it does help for you as well. It definitely worked for me too. So not really snake oil I suppose

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 19:34 »
Nice so it does help for you as well. It definitely worked for me too. So not really snake oil I suppose
I concur bro. These definitely not snake oil.

Offline thyewb

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 23:03 »
Hi Ronildoq,

Can provide the link for the Taobao footers? I currently considering on getting vibrapods or Herbie isolation stuff.. TIA..

I have the SVS isolation feets.. really work and useful. I sold my sub but still keeping the isolation feets in case I getting a sub again.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26 »
Hi Ronildoq,

Can provide the link for the Taobao footers? I currently considering on getting vibrapods or Herbie isolation stuff.. TIA..

I have the SVS isolation feets.. really work and useful. I sold my sub but still keeping the isolation feets in case I getting a sub again.

I got it from aliexpress sorry not Taobao, wrongly mentioned

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bDuoEhOg

This one here, set of 4 was about $24 bucks with shipping, u can use it to isolate amp and source player, quite good, ball bearing design, not expensive , u can also use it as footers, there is a hole in the centre for the spikes...

Solid built, the stacked seatons with spikes are sitting on 4 of these at each footer

Offline synthesis

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:10 »

I feel safer now....lol....  ;D

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 13:36 »
Here is a pic of the rythmik G25

Beautiful white ! See the footers !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 13:39 »
Close up look on the footers

Posted today by rythmik

This type is very good, especially on wooden floors, tested and confirmed effective, some form of spiking footers

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 21:49 »
I got it from aliexpress sorry not Taobao, wrongly mentioned

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bDuoEhOg

This one here, set of 4 was about $24 bucks with shipping, u can use it to isolate amp and source player, quite good, ball bearing design, not expensive , u can also use it as footers, there is a hole in the centre for the spikes...

Solid built, the stacked seatons with spikes are sitting on 4 of these at each footer

Are these spikes height adjustable? It doesn't say
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 08:29 »
Are these spikes height adjustable? It doesn't say

That’s the base, not spikes. The base is made out of metal and with metal ball bearings to absorb the shocks , absorbs vibration. Can be used as base with spiking system on CD , bluray players, It can also be used on power conditioners, power amplifier...

I have the power amplifiers sitting on these anti shock ball bearing base at the moment

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 09:27 »
Ah ok bro. I want them to be height adjustable as part of my sub will be over a carpet

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46 »
But then I thought sub already come with those rubber stand?

Need to upgrade to improve sound? Using rythmik lv12.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 12:39 »
Ah ok bro. I want them to be height adjustable as part of my sub will be over a carpet

You can actually swap out the footers for spikes type to lift it up, but not much, then have the footers beneath that...

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40 »
But then I thought sub already come with those rubber stand?

Need to upgrade to improve sound? Using rythmik lv12.

It does improve for me, as my floor is laminated timber wooden material, surface is much more reflective, so the spikes with those ball bearing base helps

If you are on a marble floor, don’t waste time, just go with the normal footers that come with it

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 17:53 »
You can actually swap out the footers for spikes type to lift it up, but not much, then have the footers beneath that...

Thanks bro

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 16:29 »

Wow just tried this footers, boy oh boy, they work like magic! Quite good , especially for the source Oppo 205, processor Lyngdorf

SOLID stuff from divini ! Highly recommended

The smaller version should be good for subs

We could tell instantly the improvement, we even tried one of these on the hard disk, seriously... it improved ! Can’t believe

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 21:40 »

Just unboxed mine, going under Oppo 205, kinda unbelievable this footers! Instant impact and improvement

Loaned home some of these to try as well, tempted to move in 3 below the centre speakers behind the AT screens

These are the smaller versions as seen on pics

The bigger ones can go under the subwoofer as footers, trust me, it’s definitely better than the Auralex type footers

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 21:44 »
I am also using the SP 40 for my Oppo 203 and the DD3 for my old sub. They definitely work.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 21:47 »
I am also using the SP 40 for my Oppo 203 and the DD3 for my old sub. They definitely work.

Power la u, I just found out only , after coming back from NGSK place! Solid !

His set up is TOP notch, anyone needs to check out rythmik F18 should visit him, beautiful sound, clean, fast, accurate , superb transient, good decay and free of resonance, good room I must say.

But still after putting the footers under the Oppo, we still got and heard so much improvement, kudos !

Good stuff! Highly recommended to be used with the source player or processor

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 22:27 »
For the price of the SP-40, it’s a no brained addition. For the DD3, they are even cheaper and definitely works well for sub. I have it on so much audio stuff in my house like my Sony Soundbar, it’s sub and it’s rear speaker, JBL Link 300, Google Home mini, Bluetooth speaker, StarHub Android TV box, etc. All saw improvement.

Power la u, I just found out only , after coming back from NGSK place! Solid !

His set up is TOP notch, anyone needs to check out rythmik F18 should visit him, beautiful sound, clean, fast, accurate , superb transient, good decay and free of resonance, good room I must say.

But still after putting the footers under the Oppo, we still got and heard so much improvement, kudos !

Good stuff! Highly recommended to be used with the source player or processor

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 22:37 »

The 3 mini ones goes onto my Super tweeter now, testing phase

A single footer goes underneath the hard disk, for playbacks vide the Oppo 205 USB media

Finally the main one goes under Oppo 205

Good to note that the base is on TOP and the rubber stuff at the bottom, this placement, so I’m having the ball bearing steel base beneath it

It works ! Definitely not snake oil, fantastic upgrade for the price, pristine and crystal clear instruments and vocals, love it man!

Good stuff ! Will decouple for my venture speakers when I do up the AT screen, awesome

Anyone tried this footers for subs ? Quite sure it will be good !

Offline thyewb

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 00:08 »
How much is the SP-40? 1 piece $150? So 1 box of 3 is $450?

Offline pcking

• I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 07:36 »
If I remember correctly, SP-40 is $150 for a set of 3

DD3 is $150 for a set of 8

IMHO, These are no brainer footers.

How much is the SP-40? 1 piece $150? So 1 box of 3 is $450?

"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 07:55 »
If I remember correctly, SP-40 is $150 for a set of 3

DD3 is $150 for a set of 8

IMHO, These are no brainer footers.

PcKing, what benefits did u notice with these footers ? Improved resonance? Where did you place them and how did u place it ?

We placed it under Oppo 205 and tested

I noticed the vocals were much improved, less smearing, better control for imaging, can hear a clear seperation of all the instruments playback, especially those Chinese type of musical instruments ...

Couldn’t believe it was so good, but this one was very obvious, with and without , instantly we could all tell... can’t believe this SP-40

🤔 still trying to figure out the physics behind...

Offline ho_kuku

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 09:22 »
I use dd3 underneath my bookshelf speakers (i.e. between speakers and speaker stands) - improved clarity and tonality too. Not sure what technology is behind it but it definitely works well for me.

Did an experiment with dd3 too - placed it in the middle between speakers with the side without wordings facing upwards. I must be crazy but music tightened up especially vocal. I need to go for my ear checkup.

If you have the dd3 - please do try it and tell me I am not insane :0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:41 by ho_kuku »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 13:13 »
I use dd3 underneath my bookshelf speakers (i.e. between speakers and speaker stands) - improved clarity and tonality too. Not sure what technology is behind it but it definitely works well for me.

Did an experiment with dd3 too - placed it in the middle between speakers with the side without wordings facing upwards. I must be crazy but music tightened up especially vocal. I need to go for my ear checkup.

If you have the dd3 - please do try it and tell me I am not insane :0

I don’t think u r crazy! It works !

I’m also struggling to understand the physics behind, measured response doesn’t tell me anything , or maybe I should be measuring something else, no idea

If everyone seems to be experiencing the improvement, that means it does work to a certain extend

I was speechless yesterday when we tested it to be working effectively, just wow”ed .. no words to explain

Offline ho_kuku

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 15:35 »

I’m also struggling to understand the physics behind, measured response doesn’t tell me anything , or maybe I should be measuring something else, no idea

If everyone seems to be experiencing the improvement, that means it does work to a certain extend

I was speechless yesterday when we tested it to be working effectively, just wow”ed .. no words to explain

I think I took an experimental approach
I had 1 dd3 sitting by itself between my 2 speakers. (center position)
Nothing on the dd3 - the dd3 has the wordings side facing downwards

By doing this alone - vocal and imaging tightened. Just a footer sitting between the speakers having this effects. I think I am nuts. Please - for those with dd4 or sp40 - can u try that out and tell me I should visit the doctor?

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 16:44 »
Not everything can be explain by measurement sometimes. For me, I only trust my ears. If they sound good, the product works. No need to care about other reviews or etc. Its my system and I am listening to it, so I let my ears decide!

Offline Hass

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 16:55 »
I think I took an experimental approach
I had 1 dd3 sitting by itself between my 2 speakers. (center position)
Nothing on the dd3 - the dd3 has the wordings side facing downwards

By doing this alone - vocal and imaging tightened. Just a footer sitting between the speakers having this effects. I think I am nuts. Please - for those with dd4 or sp40 - can u try that out and tell me I should visit the doctor?

Yes, the sound changes with anything u introduce in your room. That's how acoustic treatment and other "black magic" products like ASI cups, sugar cubes, Argent room lens works.

Online rayleh

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 16:57 »
Of course, it is the most important that we are happy with our purchases since it is our $. However, we also need to ask ourselves does post purchase rationalization comes into play at times? No offence.

Offline Hass

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 17:07 »
Not everything can be explain by measurement sometimes. For me, I only trust my ears. If they sound good, the product works. No need to care about other reviews or etc. Its my system and I am listening to it, so I let my ears decide!

Yeah, I recall buying a power cord for my CDP that sounds good, actually great to me. Went to a shootout session, most prefer other power cords. I'm still using that PC till now. Let your ears decides what they like to hear.

Offline pcking

• I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31 »
Hi Ron,

In my own opinion, SP-40 is most useful when used under equipment "upstream" of the chain. In your case, it's your Oppo 205.
But I noticed did you put DD-3 under the SP-40 ?

DD-3 was originally designed for placement underneath bookshelf speakers. So my take is DD-3 works best with items that have lateral vibrations. In HT case, the sub woofer.

As for how to place these footers, if you have bought them from the local dealer, I believe he would have already shared his findings on the best ways to use them.

With the SP-40, realism and emotions get through to you and hit your soul.  ;D

Think we are OT here.   :P

PcKing, what benefits did u notice with these footers ? Improved resonance? Where did you place them and how did u place it ?

We placed it under Oppo 205 and tested

I noticed the vocals were much improved, less smearing, better control for imaging, can hear a clear seperation of all the instruments playback, especially those Chinese type of musical instruments ...

Couldn’t believe it was so good, but this one was very obvious, with and without , instantly we could all tell... can’t believe this SP-40

🤔 still trying to figure out the physics behind...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:42 by pcking »
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 08:50 »
Hi Ron,

In my own opinion, SP-40 is most useful when used under equipment "upstream" of the chain. In your case, it's your Oppo 205.
But I noticed did you put DD3 under the SP-40 ?

DD3 was originally designed for placement underneath bookshelf speakers. So my take is DD3 works best with items that have lateral vibrations. In HT case, the sub woofer.

As for how to place these footers, if you have bought them from the local dealer, I believe he would have already shared his findings on the best ways to use them.

With the SP-40, realism and emotions get through to you and hit your soul.  ;D

Think we are OT here.   :P

Lol, it’s ok, forum is for us to share our findings, we are learning Everyday.

I had to put the ball bearing base footers on the amp, the Oppo sits on the power amp, concerned the rubber stuff beneath it will be exposed to heat from the amplifier , hence this approach, though the class D amplifier is not as hot, but just not risking it

I’ll probably try the dd3 beneath the centre speakers and experiment again, I will have to decouple the centre channel speakers when placing them behind the AT screen, (upcoming project) to have projector

The purpose of decoupling is to prevent the centre speaker energy transmitting to the wall, so it’s gonna come in handy this time for my centre speaker when it’s behind the AT screen

So far so good, nice improvement coming from the super tweeters after placing them below it

I’ve tried different footers isolation etc, some not as effective, this one is quite good the divini, Definitely not snake oil...

Offline Djblackfm

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 23:51 »
I've joined the group of footers. Well I'm honestly a non believer for footers. Whenever I received it, I will just chuck it one side or I would just thrown it away.

So what's made me to try this? As I have visited brother NGSK place. As for previous & after adding the footers. It did improve on his setup. Another Brother, Ronildoq nice, kind & knowledgeable person. With his influence as well. So it let me thinker whether really footers makes a difference.

So decided to try out this footers. After playing around for 2hours of music. My findings are clarity improved, mid range did improved.

Background of this science I'm really not sure what happened. Whether my mind playing tricks or probably bluffing myself because I spend money it should sound nice. If asked me honestly it's really worth the price to get.

Hope I did not offend anyone or my findings. Just my thoughts to share with.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 23:54 »
Nice footers! Time to dig out my "Chuck one side" footers that apollon uses to see if I can help any of my gears change its shoes.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2019, 09:37 »
I am now diving deeper into the topic of coupling and decoupling recently, after experiencing the improvement with the footers. It has been around for ages, just that I haven’t had the time Nor means to delve into the subject as it’s pretty complicated.

There are basically three types, isolation, coupling, decoupling , a lot of it is related to vibration and the amount of kinetic energy in that vibration , and how are our equipment connected/sitting on it.

Here is a quick video that helps explains a lot of things in a few minutes. It’s nice to see so many videos these days on YouTube that helps us understand lotsa things

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRbFxgezAX0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SRbFxgezAX0&fs=1</a>

Recently after my exercise conducting amplifier comparisons between emotiva monoblocks, ati525 vs Apollon amplifier, I’m now able to apprehend why the Apollon amplifier sounded cleaner and better. They had these footers that the other two amp do not

Noticed that Apollon amplifier has a small rubber ring beneath it, similar to the divini footers I was using. This is where decoupling happens and the Apollon always sounded better, cleaner, clearer in the midrange 

Though the emotiva monoblocks has lotsa class A /AB weight, it never sounded as clean as the Apollon. It had a distinct disadvantage in the footers area

This is why I’m now trying to get into the bottom of the advantages of decoupling

Once I’m done with a reasonable footers on the amp, I will do a comparison again

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2019, 09:51 »
Nice! I was reading about the THD + N last night and I discovered that the ratio is lower from one compared to another. This also a part of factor as well?

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2019, 10:45 »
Nice! I was reading about the THD + N last night and I discovered that the ratio is lower from one compared to another. This also a part of factor as well?

Those numbers can be provided but unless someone verifies it, we will never know. But the Apollon amplifier is good, no doubt. With the new technology implemented on their amps and components, they will have an advantage

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2019, 11:02 »
Yeah no doubt about it! Enjoyed every moment as well!

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2019, 13:12 »
I believe in decoupling (and if possible isolation)  for the sake of minimizing acoustic vibrations and sound waves transmitted to our other rooms and neighbours.

I would say that so far, my experiments and experience have been successful in preventing disturbance to others

I use a 2-prong approach towards this: Sorbothane and speaker isolation pads to stop vibrations from transmitting into the concrete structure. The other is sound isolation (door, window, sealant treatments) to stop sound waves from leaving the HT.

My main objective was to minimise disturbances; and secondary was to improve sound.

So far so good!
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2019, 15:58 »
Oh nice ! How have u been jag ? Long time no see.

Yes decoupling really improves the ringing and eliminates resonance as well.

The other thing I noticed is that when the footers are “loose” , it provides better vibrational absorption , I’m actually using an iPhone app now to test decoupling of various equipment , the app called vibrometer .

Can test and compare both with equipment using decoupling stuff or without, another interesting find...