Author Topic: Subwoofer isolation , spikes , footers, Auralex Subdude  (Read 5201 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Recently an interesting topic re-surfaced on isolation

It was posted by Ethan winer, acoustician who doesn’t seem to believe in all these accessories .

However I beg to differ as I found that having the spikes and ball bearing footers brings about a very clean sounding midbass when the subs are anchored on the floor. Maybe because mine is a wooden  laminated timber floor, so it is much more reflective and sound bounces off easily as opposed to concrete or cement

Here is what I’m using as absorbers , cheap stuff from Taobao $24, but very good, I have this fitted under my oppo 205 and lyngdorf as well

For the subwoofer spikes, I changed them to this and the cabinets doesn’t vibrate as much during intense LFE playback. Here is what’s written on Dayton site

“Rigidly coupling a loudspeaker enclosure to a floor by means of a "spiking" system dramatically improves clarity, stereo imaging, and bass response.

Product Highlights

• Dramatically improves clarity, stereo imaging, and bass response
• Great results when used with subwoofer systems

But the footers I am using ball bearing type footer, effect is very good for me.

Somehow the experience is different. It DOES make a difference for me.

Of course some will argue having it to decouple to prevent sound from disturbing neighbours downstairs . But that’s just simple, lower the volume and done

How about you ? Any difference when it comes to actual listening having these isolation?

Does it improve your bass? Especially if you are on concrete floor And using these isolation?

But Here is the Quote from Ethan winer

This is is a public service reminder that isolation products for audio equipment are bullshit. It's true that record players can skip when you walk around the room and the floor isn't solid. But putting isolation doodads under electronics and wires etc is just a silly waste of money. Even loudspeakers and subwoofers don't generally benefit from isolation, as proven by my tests linked below. A competent speaker cabinet is rigid and massive enough not to vibrate, so there's nothing to transfer through a table top or into the floor. All vibration emits as sound waves from the speaker cone's motion.

I'm posting this today because my friend John Brandt and I were both unfriended and blocked yesterday by someone who sells BS isolation pads. This guy posts about his products all the time, and John asked him to prove they do anything useful. So he posted a graph showing how much they block vibration from passing through. But that's not the issue! All that matters is how the audio in the room changes. And of course he can't show that. So as always happens, he blocked us and I assume he deleted our pointed comments and questions. I won't name this guy here, though John or others are welcome to. He's a professional acoustics guy, so he knows very well that his products are snake oil. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:32 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Re: Subwoofer isolation , spikes , footers, Auralex Subdude
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40 »
Another good question is then, does it take away the tactile response ?

Especially if using the auralex subdude type of isolation

I would think that the svs footers for subs would do a better job, one like this

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 23:10 »
The SVS footers definitely worth the investment.

I've got 20 of them. Including the 4 pieces that just came in today for my modified cabs. Apparently 4 per sub cab ain't enough after my sub cabs been modded.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 23:21 »
The SVS footers definitely worth the investment.

I've got 20 of them. Including the 4 pieces that just came in today for my modified cabs. Apparently 4 per sub cab ain't enough after my sub cabs been modded.

Nice to know it works for u too !! Are you on concrete floor ?

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 19:06 »
Nice to know it works for u too !! Are you on concrete floor ?
Nope bro, on vinyl flooring. My false ceiling broke previously due to vibration. And bro djblackfm rec these (of course I'm skeptical at first). Bought 2 pack of 4, re Rew and tune, performance and result are exceptional!

Then bought 2 pack of 4 for both my midbass module few months back.

After modify my 18 inch cabs, discovered it can't hold the additional weight, and I bought another pack of 4 lol. Footers are REALLY good!

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 19:09 »
Yes , svs footer are good footers . It  help to isolate vibration . Buy this with confidence .

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 19:14 »
Yes , svs footer are good footers . It  help to isolate vibration . Buy this with confidence .
Not only that, the rumbling of the ULF can still perform very well, which is the point I'm talking about me being skeptical in the first place lol

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 19:28 »
Not only that, the rumbling of the ULF can still perform very well, which is the point I'm talking about me being skeptical in the first place lol

Nice so it does help for you as well. It definitely worked for me too. So not really snake oil I suppose

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 19:34 »
Nice so it does help for you as well. It definitely worked for me too. So not really snake oil I suppose
I concur bro. These definitely not snake oil.

Offline thyewb

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 23:03 »
Hi Ronildoq,

Can provide the link for the Taobao footers? I currently considering on getting vibrapods or Herbie isolation stuff.. TIA..

I have the SVS isolation feets.. really work and useful. I sold my sub but still keeping the isolation feets in case I getting a sub again.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26 »
Hi Ronildoq,

Can provide the link for the Taobao footers? I currently considering on getting vibrapods or Herbie isolation stuff.. TIA..

I have the SVS isolation feets.. really work and useful. I sold my sub but still keeping the isolation feets in case I getting a sub again.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I got it from aliexpress sorry not Taobao, wrongly mentioned

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bDuoEhOg

This one here, set of 4 was about $24 bucks with shipping, u can use it to isolate amp and source player, quite good, ball bearing design, not expensive , u can also use it as footers, there is a hole in the centre for the spikes...

Solid built, the stacked seatons with spikes are sitting on 4 of these at each footer

Offline synthesis

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:10 »

I feel safer now....lol....  ;D

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 13:36 »
Here is a pic of the rythmik G25

Beautiful white ! See the footers !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 13:39 »
Close up look on the footers

Posted today by rythmik

This type is very good, especially on wooden floors, tested and confirmed effective, some form of spiking footers

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 21:49 »
I got it from aliexpress sorry not Taobao, wrongly mentioned

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bDuoEhOg

This one here, set of 4 was about $24 bucks with shipping, u can use it to isolate amp and source player, quite good, ball bearing design, not expensive , u can also use it as footers, there is a hole in the centre for the spikes...

Solid built, the stacked seatons with spikes are sitting on 4 of these at each footer

Are these spikes height adjustable? It doesn't say
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.