Author Topic: What kind of a Bass head are you?  (Read 4861 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What kind of a Bass head are you?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 00:24 »
I agreed with Desray about loud or too much bass but not the same headache issue, I am more concern if I will suffer from cardiac arrest If the chest pumping bass is too much, I feel my heart popping out and may stop soon.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
What kind of a Bass head are you?
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 06:15 »
Sevens really nailed it.

On top of that, one can't really have the best bass performance without some form of acoustic treatment in the listening environment . In particular, it really cleans up and tightens the midbass and upper bass character.

It's a spectrum, from zero treatment to full treatment, but the bass quality and quantity does improve as treatment is increased.

While Peaks and nulls can be optimised with multiple subs and careful EQ, there is still something different in the sound and bass character of a well treated acoustic environment.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Can’t agreed more. Totally different. But make sure one does not overdo the treatment until the listening environment becomes too “dead”. Usually a 60/40 absorption/reflection acoustic treatment will yield better soundstage for a more cinematic experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 06:17 »
I agreed with Desray about loud or too much bass but not the same headache issue, I am more concern if I will suffer from cardiac arrest If the chest pumping bass is too much, I feel my heart popping out and may stop soon.

Haha. True. Those with pacemaker. Be careful.

Can infrasonics harm you?
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=38562&share_tid=282921&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Extremeplace%2Ecom%2Fyabbse%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D282921&share_type=t

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:21 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 06:18 »
me luv KK's midbass too. Esp the 12012's!  :)

kk12012 is my reference (and champion in my heart) for consumer subs for sharp heart piercing & detailed midbass, and moving tactile.

The other sub I'm excited to hear about for midbass tactile is the Seaton JS12. But sadly, no reviews on it  :'(

Go buy one yourself and try it out. Then do a review.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 23:45 »
Go buy one yourself and try it out. Then do a review.

waiting around for a used set to try out cos need to save monies :) Because buy new set will lugi a lot of monies if say eventually dont like and resell it...

Offline yanwei

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 01:14 »
waiting around for a used set to try out cos need to save monies :) Because buy new set will lugi a lot of monies if say eventually dont like and resell it...

Bro, js12 so new where got used set?
Anyway, I'm loving my duo Seaton F18 subs. The bass can go low and I don't miss the kk8 midbass kick. Movies now feel even more engrossing than before. Especially with bass that makes you sweat.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang
HT setup: Emotiva, Seaton, SVS, Sony

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 06:39 »
Anyway, I'm loving my duo Seaton F18 subs. The bass can go low and I don't miss the kk8 midbass kick. Movies now feel even more engrossing than before. Especially with bass that makes you sweat.

That’s what I thought. Harder to find a used set at least not at the moment.

Offline yanwei

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 07:15 »
BTW bro sevenz, Mark did quote me about usd 2.6k including shipping for a pair of JS-12. You should order and try if budget allows. I don't think it will disappoint you.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 18:17 »

Once u go 18” there is no turning back, especially if u r coming off 8”, there is only that much headroom in the 808.... if u have good time alignment on the dual 18, it can definitely hit with speed, be it on Low bass and midbass, very clean down Low as well

Have u experienced the goosebumps now on the f18? Electrostatic goosebumps, something different so far only felt on the seatons f18

Offline Jason Yeo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 20:07 »
I was bit greedy on bass initially ,wanted everything hot . But realised no matter how I tried , I could not get it correct with everything hot for all movies. In the end, I just do it to suit my taste , my room , my screen size . Finally decided to sacrifice a bit on upper end so to enjoy lower end more . After watched the Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse , I treat this as a reference for all round bass movie to tune my bass . Sometimes less is more and more enjoyable :)
Denon,Marantz,Stewart,Ayre,Furutech,PS audio Wireworld,Bettercables,RGPC,Quantum,Pioneer,SvS,Shunyata,Hifi-tuning,Auralex,Mcintosh,JBL,Equitech,silent source,exactpower,Revelation Audio Labs,elementcable,ASC,lessloss,PuristAudioDesign,Kubala Sosna,Oyaide,Nordost,EuroAudioTeam,Kimble select,SeatonSubmersive

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 21:06 »
I was bit greedy on bass initially ,wanted everything hot . But realised no matter how I tried , I could not get it correct with everything hot for all movies. In the end, I just do it to suit my taste , my room , my screen size . Finally decided to sacrifice a bit on upper end so to enjoy lower end more . After watched the Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse , I treat this as a reference for all round bass movie to tune my bass . Sometimes less is more and more enjoyable :)

Thanks for sharing Jason...

Offline yanwei

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 03:15 »
I agree. That Spiderman movie a lot of bass whether it's action scenes or just the boy putting on his Sony headphones and listening to regular music. The bass very shiok.

Another thing I've seen on fb group home theater enthusiast is that they recommend lowering the avr lfe channel by maybe - 10 and then increasing the gain on the sub amp itself to match whatever dB level it was previously. I tried and I think the bass sounds better but I did not measure so can't tell if it's real or just psychological effect.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58 »
I agree. That Spiderman movie a lot of bass whether it's action scenes or just the boy putting on his Sony headphones and listening to regular music. The bass very shiok.

Another thing I've seen on fb group home theater enthusiast is that they recommend lowering the avr lfe channel by maybe - 10 and then increasing the gain on the sub amp itself to match whatever dB level it was previously. I tried and I think the bass sounds better but I did not measure so can't tell if it's real or just psychological effect.

I wouldn’t recommend from “calibration” point of view. Likely get into the problem with calibration next time as your LFE gain set too high and it will ask you to tune down.

Care to elaborate the effects you felt? Tighter bass or more even? Etc.

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 11:45 »
I personally don't like very "loud" bass as you get ear fatigue and sometimes even headache after sitting through a movie filled with bassy scenes...I firmly believe if the bass (LFE) tuned right with correct crossover settings do "swee swee", then the role of the (LFE) will "naturally" compliment the rest of the speaker arrays...I always stress that no one speaker nor the LFE should be "vying" for your attention. It supposed to be working in concert and "blend in" to bring out a balanced surround sound experience.

I second on your statement Des , as also you have mention we should not feel the fatigue . 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 15:50 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 13:57 »
+1! Exactly, too much after 30mins will cause fatigue,  i prefer the texture type of moving bass, attacking fast and stopping fast as well. clean type, hit and go. When the leaves turn, u feel the bass moving in circular fashion. This type of bass is far more satisfying than just SPLs pounding non stop. Maybe for demo is ok, but long run, just not as enjoyable.

Spiderman one is really good, can actually feel the bass moving left right up down. Very nice, lots of sweeping bass. Our fav animation of the year

Take a leap faith!!