Author Topic: Where to get acoustic mat/ pad for this  (Read 1133 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
Where to get acoustic mat/ pad for this
« on: March 08, 2019, 23:51 »
Bros, I want minimise the reflection between my centre speaker and the surface of my TV console (the part that is in front of my centre speaker. See picture below.

I would like to get some help/recommendations for acoustic mats/ material that can achieve this. =)

Thanks in adv!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 23:54 by sevenz »

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
Re: Where to get acoustic mat/ pad for this
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:14 »
Soundproofing mats used for cars?

SG$ 16.50  42%OFF | 1 Roll 100cmx200cm 5mm Car Sound Heat Insulation Cotton Sound Proofing Deadening Insulation Foam Mat Acoustic Panel Self Adhesiv
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bIwWrqp6

SG$ 10.45  19%OFF | High quality Car Sound Deadener Mat Sound Deadener Noise Insulation Acoustic Dampening Foam Subwoofer Mat
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bflkOxNW

Main Rig: BenQ TK800 I XY ALR Motorized Tab-Tensioned 92" I Denon X6200 I Sony X800 I KK 808 I Sony PS4 pro I HSU VTF 3 MK5 I KEF T205 with T101 wides on stands I Orb Audio ceiling mounted Atmos

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 16:42 »
Bro,
Are you going to use the acoustic mat/ pad where your C speaker is placed on top of it?
Perhaps you may want to consider the gold-plated metal Speaker and Isolation Spikes speaker.

:)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 20:39 »
I’m using this for the centre speakers when placed on the Console , it’s a high density foam board, quite solid, you can even put an amplifier on it.

I got it from NGSK, not sure where he got it, but good

Avoid spikes when placed on the console, coming off using spikes myself, there is a lot of reflections off the console , not really ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 23:47 »
I’m using this for the centre speakers when placed on the Console , it’s a high density foam board, quite solid, you can even put an amplifier on it.

I got it from NGSK, not sure where he got it, but good

Avoid spikes when placed on the console, coming off using spikes myself, there is a lot of reflections off the console , not really ideal

Thanks bro! I'll go kajiao bro ngsk :)

Noted on the spikes. Using industrial type of heavy duty rubber footers.

Soundproofing mats used for cars?

SG$ 16.50  42%OFF | 1 Roll 100cmx200cm 5mm Car Sound Heat Insulation Cotton Sound Proofing Deadening Insulation Foam Mat Acoustic Panel Self Adhesiv
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bIwWrqp6

SG$ 10.45  19%OFF | High quality Car Sound Deadener Mat Sound Deadener Noise Insulation Acoustic Dampening Foam Subwoofer Mat
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bflkOxNW

Thanks for this! Price is reasonable too. Will check them out.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 23:49 »
Bro,
Are you going to use the acoustic mat/ pad where your C speaker is placed on top of it?
 :)

More for the area in front of the speaker. The portion circled in yellow box.

But of cos, i may also stretch to use it below the speaker too if overall, it gives a better aesthetic look (for WAF)

Offline sevenz

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 19:18 »
Followed synthesis suggestion of decathlon. Wow, the gym mats looks promising to be mats or pads keke...Look nice too, matt black.

Not sure how effective. But its affordable.

Anyone keen can try kekeke....

I'm using this to experiment.
https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8131781-21521-fitness-100-mat-gym-and-pilates-mat-black.html

Some other ones that could be possible -Heavy gym equipment mats:
https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8338394-16034-training-mat.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/df920-floor-pads-4-pack-id_8224362.html

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 19:22 by sevenz »

Offline BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Int 0x19
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 22:08 »
Thanks. Could u elaborate on how to implement the door stopper to curb the reflection of the centre speaker sound path against the TV console?

It's not the reflection you are facing the problem.
Try this
Use laser to align your tweeter of centre speaker with your ear when you are sitting at MLP.
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 22:10 »
It's not the reflection you are facing the problem.
Try this
Use laser to align your tweeter of centre speaker with your ear when you are sitting at MLP.

thanks. How do u know the reflection is not a problem?

And could you help elaborate on the door stopper? Or is that a wrong post cos it's been removed

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 22:13 by sevenz »

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 22:15 »
thanks. How do u know the reflection is not a problem?

And could you help elaborate on the door stopper? Or is that a wrong post

Door stopper under your centre speaker align your tweeter to your ear height.

Your speaker's tweeter is the computer designed and there is no reflection as long as point straight.  You can consult on your speaker user manual.
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 22:50 »
Door stopper under your centre speaker align your tweeter to your ear height.

I see. Thx! It's already been aligned long long time ago.  Aligning tweeter to ear level has always been a SOP for me in placement B4 calibration. :) Anyway, could we go back to the original topic on the reflection cos that was my main concern. Thanks lots

Your speaker's tweeter is the computer designed and there is no reflection as long as point straight. 

Thanks for this. I'm kinda new to reflections... So still learning

How about the sound waves coming out from the speaker driver? Would there be reflections against my console? I used to think that there will be reflections of the sound waves coming out of the driver, besides from the tweeter. But seems like u are saying not. Can help elaborate?

You can consult on your speaker user manual.

I have the manual. :) But u beri cheem here bro. I genuinely don't understand what exactly u need me to retrieve from the manual.

Can u help me here and elaborate what u need me to reference to? Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 00:07 by sevenz »

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 22:52 »
I see. Thx. It's already been aligned long long time ago.  Aligning tweeter to ear level is a SOP for me in placement B4 calibration. So not sure how u determined it's a problem.

Thanks for this. I'm a newbie to reflections. How about the sound wave coming out from the driver? Will there be? I always thought there will be reflections from it. But you are saying not. Can enlighten?

I have the manual. But u beri cheem here bro. i don't understand what exactly u need me to retrieve from the manual. Can u help me here and elaborate what u need me to reference to? Appreciate it.

If you have aligned it,  then please accept my apology.  A newbie's mistake.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Where to get acoustic mat/ pad for this
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:57 »
Bros, I want minimise the reflection between my centre speaker and the surface of my TV console (the part that is in front of my centre speaker. See picture below.

I would like to get some help/recommendations for acoustic mats/ material that can achieve this. =)

Thanks in adv!

Bro Sevenz, just go Spotslight at Plaza Singapura to get the kitchen table cloth (e.g. man-made fibre knitted for heavy duty type) and place on top of the TV cabinet will do if you really concern about the smooth hard surface of your TV console causing straying of the reflection point thereby reduce dialogue anchoring at your MLP.

No need to get a gym mat. Anything with good absorptive material like cloth and fluffy wools will be more than suffice.

Lastly and the most important one of all, how is your center speaker performance before all this treating the first reflection point comes in? Are you doing this because you think there is a genuine need to do it because performance has been affected? Or for best practise since we all know that sound wave can stray all over the place before reaching the listener ear hence the need to do treatment. I’m not downplaying the importance of doing treatment on first reflection points here but in your case, do you think it is of paramount importance so much so that it will have a huge impact on your center speaker performance? Only you can answer that since you are the listener here. The point I’m trying to make here is, let’s not go too far or waste too much time and effort for something which may or may not have a “significant” impact to it UNLESS of course, you believe it is the cause of your woes. A simple solution is to move the center speaker out and be align with the 2 mains. Do u hear any significant difference? Let us know.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:03 by desray »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41 »
Apart from the reflections off the console, there are other considerations that will play a much more significant role

The two areas circled in green will bring about much more significant improvement if treated with proper acoustic materials

Then you have reflections coming off the above ceiling, 45-55 degrees from angle of incidence to your MLP . This late reflection will contribute to the experience at MLP

Then back wall where you sit, has the most significant impact above everything else. All the reflections and energies are accumulating at this place. This area is the first and foremost area I will focus on

But for your issue and question, I’d look at a few things

1) if you have speakers place right in front, edge of the console, you get the benefit of shifting the null to a lower frequency. If the null is at 60hz, then you are good to cross your centre at 80hz, meaning the subwoofers take over below 80hz. The dip at 60hz doesn’t matter anymore. Problem solved

2) if you push your speakers to the boundary, you need to see where this null sits. If the null is sitting at say 350hz where if In your room 300hz and below is below Schroeder frequency, then you can EQ for this. Schroeder frequency is where the room dominates . Problem improved

3) having the centre speakers seated slightly behind the mains is much better in my opinion. To form like an arc. Don’t forget your mains also have side reflections forming a phantom image in the centre. You don’t want your center speakers cancelling that.

4) try to clear as many things sitting on the console, If possible, hide them below or inside the console with proper ventilation

A faster way to verify and find the best options would be using REW’s energy time curve. Look at the spikes on first reflection points, start off by placing panels covering then removing them until u find that nasty reflection point

I wouldn’t worry that much on time alignment and group delay , that will be computed nicely by audyssey

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 10:09 »
Apart from the reflections off the console, there are other considerations that will play a much more significant role

The two areas circled in green will bring about much more significant improvement if treated with proper acoustic materials

Then you have reflections coming off the above ceiling, 45-55 degrees from angle of incidence to your MLP . This late reflection will contribute to the experience at MLP

Then back wall where you sit, has the most significant impact above everything else. All the reflections and energies are accumulating at this place. This area is the first and foremost area I will focus on

1) if you have speakers place right in front, edge of the console, you get the benefit of shifting the null to a lower frequency. If the null is at 60hz, then you are good to cross your centre at 80hz, meaning the subwoofers take over below 80hz. The dip at 60hz doesn’t matter anymore. Problem solved

2) if you push your speakers to the boundary, you need to see where this null sits. If the null is sitting at say 350hz where if In your room 300hz and below is below Schroeder frequency, then you can EQ for this. Schroeder frequency is where the room dominates . Problem improved

3) having the centre speakers seated slightly behind the mains is much better in my opinion. To form like an arc. Don’t forget your mains also have side reflections forming a phantom image in the centre. You don’t want your center speakers cancelling that.

4) try to clear as many things sitting on the console, If possible, hide them below or inside the console with proper ventilation

A faster way to verify and find the best options would be using REW’s energy time curve. Look at the spikes on first reflection points, start off by placing panels covering then removing them until u find that nasty reflection point

I wouldn’t worry that much on time alignment and group delay , that will be computed nicely by audyssey

Good points from Bryan as usual

If I may add on a couple of considerations.
Regarding point 4, it's quite a dilemma. What sounds bad acoustically is a large flat surface.  While random clutter actually has a scattering and diffusing character and sounds quite open and balanced.

We can try to break up large flat surfaces, with acoustic diffusers, or absorption. Or just have a very well furnished area with lots of random sized knick knack to break up the flat surfaces.

NPR tiny desk is a great example. The area is very cluttered, and it is not by coincidence. The sound is relatively balanced and open, and definitely looks more friendly than pure hardcore acoustic treatment... See pic below.

What I'm trying to say is, having a bare naked console like Sevens might not be the best bet for good sound. Also, trying to absorb the reflection may be difficult, due to the limited thickness and type of absorption that can be applied in that location.

I've actually thought about using some form of open racks. Maybe like a bad panel sandwich structure with fiberglass inside, as shelves for the rack. Haha.

Regarding 1) and 2), moving the speaker closer to wall lowers the SBIR frequency below the mains /center xo to subs, so that improves midbass performance. But, then the boundary reinforcement from the wall, TV and console top adds a thick, chesty nature to vocals, low mids, which I always found very distracting. Some centers actually have a boundary comp switch which reduces the BSC in the crossover when placed on consoles and near wall, vs a dedicated center stand on open floor. Most room corrections also corrects for this effect quite well.

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk