Author Topic: Down load 4k content vs 4k Dics do we still need true 4k device .  (Read 4021 times)

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
There hype of having a true 4k display units like TV or Projector , if you are watching down loaded a or streamed content will you benefit from true 4k display than ?

This was one of the topic that we should consider if you planning on your set up .

Down load sources or streamed type are they true 4k or up scaled for both audio and video  ?

Let’s share on your views .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline lchua6

• Trade Count: (0)
I watched a few streamed 4k content but the result, especially audio, was worse than normal blu ray. Maybe my set up is not suitable for streaming...

The 4k TV cannot zoom 4k content to remove the top and bottom black bar. In the end, I went back to normal blu ray.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
the data packet size will tell you whether the content itself is true 4k.
previously only pic data is true 4k. but audio limited to stereo or just basic Dobly D5.1
i am seeing streaming content with on netflix so i am not sure the 4K PQ and Audio with it.
but yes true 4k content you need 4k display with a good 4k player.
my 2cts.
ProJect Q.

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
If wanna dl 4K content must make sure it’s 1:1 rip and from known and reputable uploaders
Usually around 50gb

Using utorrent or BitTorrent is not the way to go
I dl 50gb takes me 20-25 mins max
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 17:58 by comfortablynumb »
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline Doggie Howser

Some of my Netflix stuff at 4K looks pretty good. Not all. But some. Vincent Teoh HDTVTest did a test comparing Spiderman HomeComing on Apple 4K vs the UHD disc and the differences are much smaller than you'd expect.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg
If wanna dl 4K content must make sure it’s 1:1 rip and from known and reputable downloaders
Usually around 50gb

Using utorrent or BitTorrent is not the way to go
I dl 50gb takes me 20-25 mins max

If I am not wrong 50gb is the max of bluray for both audio and video .

The thing I realise down load it states is 4k on the ripping likely it is not accurate .

As I did a comparison in a client house with same title , the best result is 4k UHD disc .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg
the data packet size will tell you whether the content itself is true 4k.
previously only pic data is true 4k. but audio limited to stereo or just basic Dobly D5.1
i am seeing streaming content with on netflix so i am not sure the 4K PQ and Audio with it.
but yes true 4k content you need 4k display with a good 4k player.
my 2cts.

Yes very true base on the Data pack size will be more accurate .

Online rayleh

To me, nothing beats the disc format. Even 4k and atmos from Netflix can't beat the 4k disc with atmos. The audio from the disc is more defined in a sense.

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
Nf 4K streams are encoded to be about 15mbps target average bitrate. When u begin streaming, it will buffer and u get maybe 80mbps peaks.

Br 4K average around 60mbps and can peak at about 120mbps for intense scenes.

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg
Most likely it will be the same as Starhub box does intelacing as we get 1080i on our TV .

Even if we are checking on the info some will state 1080i and some will state it is 1080P.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
As I did a comparison in a client house with same title , the best result is 4k UHD disc .

Wow this is good discussion. :) Thanks for starting this!

So meaning, even if 1:1 rip type of download, when pit against the 4k UHD disc of the same title, your impressions are the video and/or audio is better for disc? 

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Down load 4k content vs 4k Dics do we still need true 4k device .
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 07:43 »
Wow this is good discussion. :) Thanks for starting this!

So meaning, even if 1:1 rip type of download, when pit against the 4k UHD disc of the same title, your impressions are the video and/or audio is better for disc?
Without a doubt that disc media having a higher capacity will be able to house the higher bitrate video and audio of the master copy of the movie itself. With a dedicated 4K UHD Blu-ray player to do its job, this is the easiest and best way to ensure you are getting the very best of that 4K movie.

However I will not go so far as to declare that the quality of the 1:1 rip from a 4K UHD disc will almost always be inferior from the actual disc itself. It really depends on the program settings and the encoder used to rip. I have some Planet Earth II rips using MakeMKV with 1:1 rips and I have a hard time differentiating the PQ between a ripped version and a disc version. The difference if any is almost negligible especially if the display (OLED TV or Projector) is the one doing the upscaling and video processing work from the content itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
1:1 rip with no conversion should be bit perfect, therefore no difference with disc. No?

Of course if A:V stream is re-encoded then it’s no longer bit perfect.

Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
1:1 rip with no conversion should be bit perfect, therefore no difference with disc. No?

Of course if A:V stream is re-encoded then it’s no longer bit perfect.

Choose source direct whenever possible. If no source direct, choose what the encoding specify like YCC 4:2:0 10bit and still the difference will be minimal.

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg
To me, nothing beats the disc format. Even 4k and atmos from Netflix can't beat the 4k disc with atmos. The audio from the disc is more defined in a sense.

Yes this was also my observation and my Test and Commisioning .

If base on the same ripped content source , play back at TV and 2.1 audio it will not see and hear the significant .

On a larger screen ex 100” size and 7.1.2 it will be apparent .
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 20:32 by alf »