Author Topic: Recommendation for NAS  (Read 5280 times)

BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Recommendation for NAS
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2019, 15:32 »
With our enterprise storage (in usable Petabytes, not raw), we replacing atleast a full car load of high performance HDD(s) every Sat & Sun. We tried changing brands etc - no difference. These enterprise storage all in RAID-5/6 configurations. Nowadays the HDD failure rates quite high compared to those before IBM sold away all their patents and HDD manufacturing facilities a few years ago.

PetaBytes !
Sweet Jesus, I am still trying to save bits !

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2019, 15:36 »
So just be prepared for HDD swap-outs during yr RAID's lifetime ... we lucky coz under maintainence contract so flat fee for the client but the vendor kena.

Under RAID-1, was like under 50 a month per Peta before we went to RAID-5/6 with the new enterprise storage systems.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 15:42 by stereoman2 »

BadEnglish

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 15:41 »
So just be prepared for HDD swap-outs during yr RAID's lifetime ... we lucky coz under maintainence contract so flat fee for the client but the vendor kena.

I have been praying very hard for HDs not to failed and it works till now.
Later , I have no idea. Perhaps ask me tomorrow.

Of course , there are a few dead HDs from my PC. These dead HDs are most of the time caused by improper shutdown while it's in write mode.

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 15:43 »
I have been praying very hard for HDs not to failed and it works till now.
Later , I have no idea. Perhaps ask me tomorrow.

Of course , there are a few dead HDs from my PC. These dead HDs are most of the time caused by improper shutdown while it's in write mode. The vendors call these "sticky drives"

U can also get "dead" HDD(s) if they have been in continuous use for a while eg power down for maiintainence but won't start up after the maintainence over.

BadEnglish

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 15:45 »
U can also get "dead" HDD(s) if they have been in continuous use for a while eg power down for maiintainence but won't start up after the maintainence over.

Now you are making me to run all my NAS 24/7  ;D

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2019, 15:48 »
Now you are making me to run all my NAS 24/7  ;D

I just informing of the experience dealing with enterprise storage in mission critical environments across the world. Up to you how you wish to implement or run your own facilities.

BadEnglish

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2019, 16:22 »
I just informing of the experience dealing with enterprise storage in mission critical environments across the world. Up to you how you wish to implement or run your own facilities.

I have only 2 NASs , no Server. Both NASs are on RAID 5 , 24/7, and daily incremental backup each others since each has it own purpose. So even if 2 HDs in same NAS failed , I still have a full back up on other NAS, nonetheless , if in the case of 2 HDs each in 2 NASs failed at the same time , I am a dead meat.

It's all about how I want to manage the risk.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2019, 17:16 »
err guys guys. you 3 are off topic.
perphaps TS should rename recommendation for NAS for newbie for just Home movie and audio streaming use. with upgrade option to next level.
slow down... i am lost.  ;D
mission critical? enterprise? but hell yeah if i lose my movie and music files i go ballistic as well.  :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 17:21 by DJQ »
ProJect Q.

BadEnglish

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2019, 17:23 »
err guys guys. you 3 are off topic.
perphaps TS should rename recommendation for NAS for newbie for just Home movie and audio streaming use. with upgrade option to next level.
slow down... i am lost.  ;D

Go to SLS 5th floor.
Ask for Synology 1819+ and 8x 14TB WD Red. They accept NETS for NAS but cash for HDs.
Go down one floor lower,  grab an UPS.

Done.

Addendum.
Joke aside , if you are looking for Synology NAS but can't decide or don't know what are the models :

Just read this :
Synology NAS guide 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 17:33 by BadEnglish »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2019, 17:36 »
 :P :P :P ::) ::) ::)
you make it sound so simple lol :)
ProJect Q.

BadEnglish

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 17:37 »
:P :P :P ::) ::) ::)
you make it sound so simple lol :)

Very simple.  No money ? No problem,  I give you.  ;D

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2019, 13:43 »

Why??    I just want to buy 12 X 10TB, run RAID6 and live happily ever after, like the last 20 years.  What's wrong with that?

(Audio)

There’s a big difference in Drive capacity from 20 years ago and now…

Let’s do an experiment shall we? Pick one of your current QNAP(?) RAID6 array (>4TB drives?), pull out one drive and insert a new one; tell us how long it takes to rebuild… (don’t blame me if you end-up with an actual drive failure during rebuild, so backup your data first ;D)

At home I scaled-down from an Apple XServe/QLogic FC switch/Promise SAN array, down to just a Synology NAS (RAID10, with AWS backup) for my Photos etc., and Melco (RAID1) for my DSD & PCM High-Res files. Everything else streamed over the ‘net :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.