Author Topic: Recommendation for NAS  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Recommendation for NAS
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 11:16 »
Then ages of your HDs in NAS are not accountable because your NAS was not switched on 24/7.

My two 2TB WD Green HDs were bought back in 2011 and clocked

and two 3TB WD Red HDs that were bought back in 2014 are clocked

The NAS ( Synology 414 ) is in the living room with A/C switched on for 8hrs a day at 26C. I used to auto - switch off and on NAS at night time, Fans are at quiet mode. And there were at least 20 times power loss ( I forgot to switched off NAS before I unplugged main PC ) ;D

Nope, I am not trying to prove that the WD REDs are the best drives in the world.  Far from that, I am just merely saying the WD REDs work for me.

As I recalled, I was just merely recommending hard drives as requested by Audiolabs basing on my experience. Right now I have in operation, more than 10 pieces of each type, Seagate 10TB Ironwolf and WD 6TB REDs in operation.  I had retired over 20 WD BLACKs and WD GREENs.  If I need more hard drives, I would not hesitated to get more Ironwolf or WD REDs.

NAS are meant to be running 24/7.  That is their purpose, making sure that your files are available anytime, anywhere in the world.

My main NAS , which is a 16-bay unit, runs 24/7 in my HK apartment.  I got another 5 more NAS and 6 servers in my small HK bedroom, so I cannot afford to leave them on; besides wasting power and heating up my room unnecessarily.....I need to deal with the fire safety issue.  (In HK, it's no joke).

(Audio)

BadEnglish

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 11:35 »
Nope, I am not trying to prove that the WD REDs are the best drives in the world.  Far from that, I am just merely saying the WD REDs work for me.

As I recalled, I was just merely recommending hard drives as requested by Audiolabs basing on my experience. Right now I have in operation, more than 10 pieces of each type, Seagate 10TB Ironwolf and WD 6TB REDs in operation.  I had retired over 20 WD BLACKs and WD GREENs.  If I need more hard drives, I would not hesitated to get more Ironwolf or WD REDs.

NAS are meant to be running 24/7.  That is their purpose, making sure that your files are available anytime, anywhere in the world.

My main NAS , which is a 16-bay unit, runs 24/7 in my HK apartment.  I got another 5 more NAS and 6 servers in my small HK bedroom, so I cannot afford to leave them on; besides wasting power and heating up my room unnecessarily.....I need to deal with the fire safety issue.  (In HK, it's no joke).

(Audio)

Whaaaa that's a lot of NAS. I've only 2.

For the brands of HD,
I believe all HD brands are reliable.

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46 »
i have encounter multiple WD RED failure. Don dare use WD RED anymore.
also, past SEAGATE HDD too. failure without any symptoms, don dare use SEAGATE too.

now using hitachi, i have a >10yrs old hitachi HDD still running fine.
the problem with hitachi HDD is that i make some noise while on load.
7.2.4 [DENON X7200WA,ANTHEM MCA 3 POWER AMP,KEF LS50 LCR, DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK F12+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7
EGREAT A10
BLUESOUND NODE 2

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 13:02 »
Wiz,
Should NAS be left on 24/7? Or better to leave them off until needed?

It not advisable to keep shutting down and restarting the NAS, just leave it running.

it will spin down the HDD when they are not in use. Same applies to USB HDD hung off the NAS. There are settings to put it to standby/spin down mode.

The NAS with sleeping HDD consumes less than 20W.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 14:59 »
Wiz,
Mine run 24/7 and I don’t run hibernation modes so run all the time...maybe I try to hibernate some time.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 20:55 »
Wiz,

Jag, you can leave the NAS on for 24/7 and it will be fine. For me, I do a scheduled start up and shut down time daily. It will also be fine.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 22:12 »
Ok, should be looking at the DS918+. For a small value more, I get better processor, 2gb more ram, possibility to add SSD Cache (any value) and also possible options for expansion bay.

Now is to decide what HDD, Raid 5 or maybe even 10, and whether to expand to 8gb ram and add ssd cache for read. Write seems risky in case anything happen.

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 22:30 »
Ok, should be looking at the DS918+. For a small value more, I get better processor, 2gb more ram, possibility to add SSD Cache (any value) and also possible options for expansion bay.

Now is to decide what HDD, Raid 5 or maybe even 10, and whether to expand to 8gb ram and add ssd cache for read. Write seems risky in case anything happen.

repeat after me.

RAID 5 is not a backup.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 22:37 »
Thanks for the info.

repeat after me.

RAID 5 is not a backup.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 23:02 »
repeat after me.

RAID 5 is not a backup.

Amen...finally someone else here gets it...been saying this for years...

exactly....the NAS is only a backup if you have another copy...otherwise best to have an offline copy done every week or so to a big external.

actually with up to 12TB drives available now a NAS is a bit redundant unless you use its apps and other share functions.

I often backup my NAs to another volume thats offline and pulled out when not needed plus I also sync all my music to another NAS thats online and syncs weekly

i also use the main NAS for my time machine backups for all my household macs plus my roon database backups

a NAS by definition is NOT A BACKUP unless you have your data copied elsewhere, and ideally in another location if possible
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 08:06 »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the sharing again.

The main purpose for me for the NAS is backup, sharing and streaming of music and videos.

Assuming I want to have 12gb of usable space and I want backup, I can essentially run the following options right?

1. 4 X 6TB on Raid 1
2. 4 X 6TB of Raid 10
3. 2 X 6TB and 1 X 12TB (or 2 X 6TB) for weekly backup of the 2 X 6TB

Based on my limited IT knowledge so far on NAS and backup through reading my thread, I believe option 2 is the safest among all? Since that is a real backup.

Amen...finally someone else here gets it...been saying this for years...

Online sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 08:15 »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the sharing again.

The main purpose for me for the NAS is backup, sharing and streaming of music and videos.

Assuming I want to have 12gb of usable space and I want backup, I can essentially run the following options right?

1. 4 X 6TB on Raid 1
2. 4 X 6TB of Raid 10
3. 2 X 6TB and 1 X 12TB (or 2 X 6TB) for weekly backup of the 2 X 6TB

Based on my limited IT knowledge so far on NAS and backup through reading my thread, I believe option 2 is the safest among all? Since that is a real backup.

Maybe this can help in your calculations.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/RAID_calculator

Further, i backed up my NAS as well on the cloud for important stuff.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:17 by sigurros »
Main Rig 7.2.4: BenQ TK800 / XY ALR Motorized Tab-Tensioned 92" / Denon X6200 / Sony X800 / KK 808 / Sony PS4 pro / HSU VTF 3 MK5 / KEF T205 with T101 wides / Orb Audio ceiling mounted Atmos

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 08:19 »
Thanks a lot!

I was playing with this and have an idea how I can get usable space with different hard disk and raid setup.

My main concern is more on RAID is not a Backup issue.

So since I am taking effort to setup NAS for the first time, I want to do it right also for the first time.

That’s why the 3 options. If RAID is a Backup, then things will be much simpler. Haha

Maybe this can help in your calculations.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/RAID_calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 08:23 »
Thanks a lot!

I was playing with this and have an idea how I can get usable space with different hard disk and raid setup.

My main concern is more on RAID is not a Backup issue.

So since I am taking effort to setup NAS for the first time, I want to do it right also for the first time.

That’s why the 3 options. If RAID is a Backup, then things will be much simpler. Haha

Yes. Setting up right the first time is critical for not spending more on upgrades later.

I went through a 2 bay to 4 bay till now a 5 bay with extension unit with a backup HDD should 1 unit of the HDD of the volume crashes.

If 2 unit should crashed at the same time, then siao liao as me setup as SHR.

That's why backed up to cloud as well.

Maybe put some budget in a good UPS as well.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:03 by sigurros »
Main Rig 7.2.4: BenQ TK800 / XY ALR Motorized Tab-Tensioned 92" / Denon X6200 / Sony X800 / KK 808 / Sony PS4 pro / HSU VTF 3 MK5 / KEF T205 with T101 wides / Orb Audio ceiling mounted Atmos

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 08:25 »
Thanks for sharing your journey!

I hope to learn from the gurus and power users to cut short my learning journey!

Yes. Setting up right the first time is critical for not spending more on upgrades later.

I went through a 2 bay to 4 bay till now a 5 bay with extension unit with a backup HDD should 1 unit of the HDD of the volume crashes.