Author Topic: Recommendation for NAS  (Read 5124 times)

BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Recommendation for NAS
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 18:31 »
My WD red have errors within 2 years with Synology NAS. Not 1 but all 4 of the HDDs. Google WD red and Synology and you will find this well known problem

Browsing thru HWZ and generally forumers there recommend Toshiba or HGST HDD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all depended on batch and luck.
In my short experience with WD Red and synology , nothing has failed so far.

Some of the disks have clocked 60k hour on - 12 HR a day job and not even a single bad sector.

I've
414 with 4x 3TB red ( serving as music server )
1618+ with 6x 10TB red (For other purpose).

Both are on RAID 5

Offline kimurastanley

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 18:37 »

It's all depended on batch and luck.
In my short experience with WD Red and synology , nothing has failed so far.

Some of the disks have clocked 60k hour on - 12 HR a day job and not even a single bad sector.

I've
414 with 4x 3TB red ( serving as music server )
1618+ with 6x 10TB red (For other purpose).

Both are on RAID 5

Ic.
May be my luck is too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadEnglish

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 18:46 »
Ic.
May be my luck is too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luck ....
Joke aside,  what I have observed NAS usage in home environment is owners never take care of vibration and heat exchange.

Vibration and heat are  the main enemies of HD.

Back in my college time,  we had to carry the HDs as if it were a new born baby.  And mind you,  if we forgot to park the HD heads and moved it : that's. And the size of HD was 20MB.

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 18:53 »
I banned WD red 4TB after failed 3 of them even RMA. Now using HGST and Seagate ironwolf. So far so good.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 20:05 »
Just read that Seagare has tie up with Synology for their Ironwolf range where the NaS is able to show HDD health.

Was trying the search for HGST Deskstar NAS but to no avail. Any bought them recently?

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 20:07 »
Discon. WD announced all product line under their mother company will standardized as Western Digital.
Secondly...7200rpm drive is damn noisy.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 20:36 »
Paul, are you using the HGST Deskstar NAS? Did not see much when I search for it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I now buy the 12TB HGST helium filled drive around $750 per piece HUH721212ALE600  no issues so far at clients site or my own. fingers x so far so good running 24x7 no standby on UPS ac on at cleans to full housed 3018xs, at home 713+ no AC most of the time but UPS also. These 12TB are enterprise drive so should be very reliable

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc520.pdf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 20:43 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 20:46 »
Whoa, not intending to spend so much. I guess I have to choose betweeen WD and Seagate.

I now buy the 12TB HGST helium filled drive around $750 per piece HUH721212ALE600  no issues so far at clients site or my own. fingers x so far so good running 24x7 no standby on UPS ac on at cleans to full housed 3018xs, at home 713+ no AC most of the time but UPS also. These 12TB are enterprise drive so should be very reliable

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc520.pdf

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 20:47 »
I am running 8 X WD 6TB RED on a Synology DS1815+ (RAID6) for over 5 years.
I am also using another 3 X WD 6TB RED  on a PC (RAID0) running 24/7 for well over 4 years.  No issue at all.

(Audio)

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 20:49 »
Thanks for sharing. I guess it’s really case by case since different people have different experience.

I am also using another 3 X WD 6TB RED  on a PC (RAID0) running 24/7 for well over 4 years.  No issue at all.

(Audio)

Offline alamakazam

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 21:19 »

(Audio)

u can share, how is your usage, 24/7? air con room? very ventilated by external fan?

like that people will know... why their nas fail so quick

well, do note .... I maintain some servers... that are 15 years old.... still working fine... but of cos is 16 degree c 24/7

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 21:47 »
u can share, how is your usage, 24/7? air con room? very ventilated by external fan?

like that people will know... why their nas fail so quick

well, do note .... I maintain some servers... that are 15 years old.... still working fine... but of cos is 16 degree c 24/7

8 X WD 6TB RED inside Synology 1815+ NOT 24/7 but turn on when I need the files.  Shutdown my NAS gracefully all the times. 

3 X WD 6TB RED inside desktop PC 24/7 x 4 years.  This is torture machine for any hard drives because your know lah, read/write hard drives 24 /7 wor.  Switch off PC gracefully during maintenance (vacuum dust, clear CPU fan of dust).

All just operating at home environment.  Daytime subjected to normal room temperature that can go as high as 32 degrees and  during night, then normal aircon temp of 24 degrees.

Hard disks all like powerful machine with steady power supply and secure connections.   When drives' Molex connectors came loose, guarantee will kanna a lot of problems and headaches.

I once acquired a very highend RAID card.   Very unreliable.   RAID failed intermittently.   Finally found the problem was due to a faulty SAS cable that was connecting to Drive #2 out of 8.  All HDDs connected as drive #2 sustained permanent damage, all became unreliable.   Very painful.

(Audio)

BadEnglish

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 10:02 »
8 X WD 6TB RED inside Synology 1815+ NOT 24/7 but turn on when I need the files.  Shutdown my NAS gracefully all the times. 

3 X WD 6TB RED inside desktop PC 24/7 x 4 years.  This is torture machine for any hard drives because your know lah, read/write hard drives 24 /7 wor.  Switch off PC gracefully during maintenance (vacuum dust, clear CPU fan of dust).

All just operating at home environment.  Daytime subjected to normal room temperature that can go as high as 32 degrees and  during night, then normal aircon temp of 24 degrees.

Hard disks all like powerful machine with steady power supply and secure connections.   When drives' Molex connectors came loose, guarantee will kanna a lot of problems and headaches.

I once acquired a very highend RAID card.   Very unreliable.   RAID failed intermittently.   Finally found the problem was due to a faulty SAS cable that was connecting to Drive #2 out of 8.  All HDDs connected as drive #2 sustained permanent damage, all became unreliable.   Very painful.

(Audio)

Then ages of your HDs in NAS are not accountable because your NAS was not switched on 24/7.

My two 2TB WD Green HDs were bought back in 2011 and clocked

and two 3TB WD Red HDs that were bought back in 2014 are clocked

The NAS ( Synology 414 ) is in the living room with A/C switched on for 8hrs a day at 26C. I used to auto - switch off and on NAS at night time, Fans are at quiet mode. And there were at least 20 times power loss ( I forgot to switched off NAS before I unplugged main PC ) ;D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:08 by BadEnglish »

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 10:22 »
Wiz,
Should NAS be left on 24/7? Or better to leave them off until needed?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 10:50 »
Most NAS can be on 24/7. Just make sure that it's kept in a well ventilated location.
When the NAS is not in use for sometime, the HDDs will spin down until the NAS is accessed again.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."