Author Topic: Recommendation for NAS  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
Recommendation for NAS
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:52 »
Dear All,

Need some advice on setting up NAS as I am a total noob when it comes to NAS. Main usage will be for backup and partially for sharing of photos, videos and maybe streaming of HD and 4K movies to my Oppo 203 and Apple TV. Computer operating system will be on Mac OS.

I have narrowed down my choice to 2 or maybe 3 choices.

1. Synology DS218Play
2. Synology DS418Play
3. Synology DS918+

For futureproof, I am incline towards DS418Play. However, the price difference between DS918+ and DS418Play is not significant and it comes with additional 2gb ram and 1 year warranty (3 years vs 2 years based on overseas website info).

As for configuration, I am inclined towards Raid 1 for safe backup (just use 2 bays) but was recommended to try Raid 5 (3 bays) which will maximize speed and also gain more "Storage" vs Raid 1.

Last question is on hard disk. WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf?

Any experts or users of Synology can provide any recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Recommendation for NAS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:18 »
Of all those I would use 918+ use raid 5 and the last slot for a backup disk if you are paranoid - one that you put in to make a full backup then remove once its done.

then again. raid 5 is rather out dated as now you can get 12TB+ drives unless you need massive storage.

I prefer HGST drives
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22 »
I think 8TB at Raid 1 would be more than enough space.

I was also considering the 918+ due to better future proof.

Which particular HGST drives would you recommend for NAS? HGST also own by WD now right? I went to the website and was diverted to WD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 11:37 »
use the raid 1 drives as one live and one backup...performance no issue (if one gets corrupted both likely corrupted) ie not raid 1 but one in all the time and one in for backups only. HGST less failure rates see back blaze failure trends
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:39 »
Thanks again Paul!

I seem to have trouble finding the HGST Deskstar NAS after they are bought by WD.

use the raid 1 drives as one live and one backup...performance no issue (if one gets corrupted both likely corrupted) ie not raid 1 but one in one in for backups only. HGST less failure rates see back blaze failure trends

Online comfortablynumb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 11:46 »
I am using Synology 415+ with 16TB of movies  ;D

Going with Synology cant go wrong just decide on the model u need
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47 »
Yes, I realize that Synology is the brand to go to. It’s only which model now.

The 918+ is interesting but it’s most likely I will not make full use of its features.

I am using Synology 415+ with 16TB of movies  ;D

Going with Synology cant go wrong just decide on the model u need

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:54 »
Price diff is about low $100s.

I am looking at the WD Red of the Seagate Ironwolf which is common package with the NAS now.

If the diff between 418 and 918If the price diff between 418 and 918 is small then go for the 918.
As for HDD, WD Red for NAS is pretty robust and stable

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 13:42 »
In order to save some HDD cost, you can buy those external hard disk like Seagate Expansion or WD Elements then shuck the SATA HDDs.

It is okay not to do RAID1, just configure 1 drive each and backup to another drive using a script like created by  Robocopy or similar in your task scheduler.  The reason is higher capacity HDDs are getting cheaper, thus, you can upgrade your NAS storage easily if it is not in RAID.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 13:44 »
Thanks for sharing!

In order to save some HDD cost, you can buy those external hard disk like Seagate Expansion or WD Elements then shuck the SATA HDDs.

It is okay not to do RAID1, just configure 1 drive each and backup to another drive using a script like created by  Robocopy or similar in your task scheduler.  The reason is higher capacity HDDs are getting cheaper, thus, you can upgrade your NAS storage easily if it is not in RAID.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 15:03 »
Both Synology and QNAP are very respectable brands.   I was in favor of Synology but lately, I switched to QNAP because they seems to be very good in making their NAS available across the world.   Right now I can access any files from anywhere, it just seems that QNAP is very easy to do that.

Always go for max HD slots your budget can get you.  Oh, but I only need 2 slots.   Think further.  If you need more space later, which is most likely, you will be spending an awful lot buying another NAS.  Ask me, I have never regret and I am very thankful that I go for max slots.  Do not buy dual slots, 4 slots is the minimum.   8 slots is OK.  16 slots is high end flagship.

The new 8-slots device , now come with expansion card slots which is very useful.   10Gb ethernet options?  What about M2 drive cache...or plug in a graphic card and run the NAS as a Hybrid PC?   Only the NAS with more slots, do they equip their NAS with a more powerful CPU and hence you got more power, more capacity and more speed.

I am also running Roon Server off my QNAP....piece of cake.   Mine has a Xenon CPU and comes with dual 10Gb ethernet as standard.

Do not use RAID 1.  It is a waste of time, very slow and wasteful of hard disk space.  Run using RAID5 or RAID6.  I got data reliability as long as 20 years now. 

I recommend the Seagate Ironwolf.  I have using many of these in various clusters.   They seems to be very reliable, no failures yet.  The WD Red drives are also very commendable.  I believe the Ironwolf and WD Red are better than HSGT unless you are talking about their high capacity helium-filled models.

10Gb ethernet is now the in-thing.  Getting the 8-slots NAS will enable you to run 10Gb ethernet as more and more motherboard comes with 10Gb ethernet as standard.  You will get about 200-300MB/sec throughput conservatively as compared to the max out 1Gb throughput of about 110-115MB/sec.

(Audio)

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 15:08 »
Thanks for the detailed info Audio.

I am looking at max 4 slot for now. Do not expect myself to be a heavy user for sure. That alone will have spare capacity for me. I think the models I am looking at is only Gigabit, not 10G. I think that will suffice for now.

I am actively considering Raid 5 to maximize hard disk usage. Thanks for sharing on the reliability part. Hard disk for now will be Ironwolf or Red. HGST seems hard to get.

The DS918+ does come with M2 Cache. So that will be in the long run more future proof. And it can connect to another 5 expansion bays.

Let me go take a look at the upcoming IT Show and see what good deals are out there!

Both Synology and QNAP are very respectable brands.   I was in favor of Synology but lately, I switched to QNAP because they seems to be very good in making their NAS available across the world.   Right now I can access any files from anywhere, it just seems that QNAP is very easy to do that.

Always go for max HD slots your budget can get you.  Oh, but I only need 2 slots.   Think further.  If you need more space later, which is most likely, you will be spending an awful lot buying another NAS.  Ask me, I have never regret and I am very thankful that I go for max slots.  Do not buy dual slots, 4 slots is the minimum.   8 slots is OK.  16 slots is high end flagship.

The new 8-slots device , now come with expansion card slots which is very useful.   10Gb ethernet options?  What about M2 drive cache...or plug in a graphic card and run the NAS as a Hybrid PC?   Only the NAS with more slots, do they equip their NAS with a more powerful CPU and hence you got more power, more capacity and more speed.

I am also running Roon Server off my QNAP....piece of cake.   Mine has a Xenon CPU and comes with dual 10Gb ethernet as standard.

Do not use RAID 1.  It is a waste of time, very slow and wasteful of hard disk space.  Run using RAID5 or RAID6.  I got data reliability as long as 20 years now. 

I recommend the Seagate Ironwolf.  I have using many of these in various clusters.   They seems to be very reliable, no failures yet.  The WD Red drives are also very commendable.  I believe the Ironwolf and WD Red are better than HSGT unless you are talking about their high capacity helium-filled models.

10Gb ethernet is now the in-thing.  Getting the 8-slots NAS will enable you to run 10Gb ethernet as more and more motherboard comes with 10Gb ethernet as standard.  You will get about 200-300MB/sec throughput conservatively as compared to the max out 1Gb throughput of about 110-115MB/sec.

(Audio)

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 17:57 »
Ive personally had many 3TB Seagate's fail...and just about all my WD red 6TB drives getting errors now after 3 years+ my new HGST drives 12TB x 2 and a friend who has 5 x 4TB HGST no errors ever...both in Synology 8 bay 1813+ chassis. I have 8 x 6TB in my chassis now SHR - like raid 5.

Next chassis will be DS3018XS and migrate my 2 x 12TB into that and add 2 x 12TB HGST more for ~36TB in SHR/RAID5 with room to grow. right now the 2x12TB are win 713+ 2 bay as JBOD just doing backup duty.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 18:16 »
Paul, are you using the HGST Deskstar NAS? Did not see much when I search for it.

Ive personally had many 3TB Seagate's fail...and just about all my WD red 6TB drives getting errors now after 3 years+ my new HGST drives 12TB x 2 and a friend who has 5 x 4TB HGST no errors ever...both in Synology 8 bay 1813+ chassis. I have 8 x 6TB in my chassis now SHR - like raid 5.

Next chassis will be DS3018XS and migrate my 2 x 12TB into that and add 2 x 12TB HGST more for ~36TB in SHR/RAID5 with room to grow. right now the 2x12TB are win 713+ 2 bay as JBOD just doing backup duty.

Offline kimurastanley

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 18:20 »
My WD red have errors within 2 years with Synology NAS. Not 1 but all 4 of the HDDs. Google WD red and Synology and you will find this well known problem

Browsing thru HWZ and generally forumers there recommend Toshiba or HGST HDD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk