Author Topic: Basement for Home Theater  (Read 6213 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Basement for Home Theater
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 13:29 »
Nice sharing again Gavin ! I have to second whatever advice given, it really brings up the experience to another level when the room noise floor is Low and acoustics done right. The room itself accounts for 60% of the overall listening experience. This part if done right will be rewarding.

You might also wanna consider having a raised wooden platform, to trap bass and at the same time provide for tactile feedback from Low frequency .

Something like this

The above one is an smt tune bass trap

Can be achieved trying this

Or this above, the experience is very good, another level for tactile from Low frequencies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hillviewer

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 23:47 »
Thanks for all the advice!

Will make the basement higher to allow for raised floor and acoustic panel on the ceiling.

What is the general ratio of absorption panel vs reflector on the walls and ceiling?

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 13:33 »
There is no general ratio. But I’d focus on a few things

Looking at the pic above, u will observe many things are done right

1) raised floor, see the holes circled in blue, works as a tuned bass trap

2) look at the green circled areas. The surrounds and back surrounds are flanked by diffusors + they use in wall speakers. The benefits of in wall is that there is no boundary interference. So it eliminates a lot of the first reflection points commonly faced by other speakers or those mounted on wall. PS: there is a difference between speakers On wall vs In wall

3) above you, circled in red, can be done like a suspended ceiling. This area, I prefer to have absorption. But again if you have your Atmos speakers flanking right and left above u, diffusion May work better

4) look at the purple, suspended ceiling that works as a bass trap with enough air GAP

5) behind MLP that black piece material , best to have 18-20” thick trap / absorption
panels

6) finally use corner bass traps for all trihedral corners or you can use dihedral mount like this

That is all that u will ever need, to set up the base for your room. The rest you can add or remove and decide according

Generally if you follow this, you should be able to achieve a very high quality listening room

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 19:01 »
great thanks (delayed  :-[. was busy)

Will start to source for these March 2020.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 19:09 »

2) look at the green circled areas. The surrounds and back surrounds are flanked by diffusors + they use in wall speakers. The benefits of in wall is that there is no boundary interference. So it eliminates a lot of the first reflection points commonly faced by other speakers or those mounted on wall. PS: there is a difference between speakers On wall vs In wall

As it is a basement, I do not think I can dig out a hole in the wall. What if I create another layer of wall using gypsum board and rock wool to find the air space?

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 22:02 »
As it is a basement, I do not think I can dig out a hole in the wall. What if I create another layer of wall using gypsum board and rock wool to find the air space?
This works pretty well, the false wall acts like a low bass membrane trap and absorbs bass energy better than a concrete wall.

It is very important fully seal the wall around the speaker baffle. It cannot be a speaker sitting in a cavity in the wall, it will cause very bad notch cancellation as well as resonance in that cavity. Also, the speakers used need to be designed for baffle mounting, as these designs theoretically need no BSC in the crossover. So you can't really just use any bookshelf speaker designed for free space and mount it in a baffle wall, the BSC tuned for free space will sound too bass heavy and thick in the baffle wall.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 12:41 »
What you can do is have leaky wall with designs, or something that looks like this

Avoid barewall if possible

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 16:49 »

It is very important fully seal the wall around the speaker baffle. It cannot be a speaker sitting in a cavity in the wall, it will cause very bad notch cancellation as well as resonance in that cavity. Also, the speakers used need to be designed for baffle mounting, as these designs theoretically need no BSC in the crossover. So you can't really just use any bookshelf speaker designed for free space and mount it in a baffle wall, the BSC tuned for free space will sound too bass heavy and thick in the baffle wall.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Fully sealed using the same gypsum board? or other material?

Will look for in-wall speakers. Most likely Monitor Audio  as most of my speakers are MA.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 16:50 »
What you can do is have leaky wall with designs, or something that looks like this

Avoid barewall if possible

Look nice. WAF as well.

Any material to look out for? Any material to avoid?

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 21:58 »
Look nice. WAF as well.

Any material to look out for? Any material to avoid?

You should pop by my place when u r free, have a look and experience yourself before u actually proceed to build your theatre room, I can share more with you on room acoustics. Also check with Wechnivag, his room is also very good, nicely done acoustically , u will benefit greatly

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 14:51 »
You should pop by my place when u r free, have a look and experience yourself before u actually proceed to build your theatre room, I can share more with you on room acoustics. Also check with Wechnivag, his room is also very good, nicely done acoustically , u will benefit greatly

Thanks for the invite. pm sent.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 22:10 »
Just came back from ronildoq's place.

Hard to describe in words. But truly amazing and very impressed.
The scene from Quiet Place when the monsters entered the house brings out a wide spectrum of frequency and loudness. Almost like a totally different movie to me!

At this stage, I will inform the architect to
1. Width to be 6.5m instead of 5m. Length shortens from 9m to 8.5m. Ceiling height raw 3.7m, 3.2m with ceiling grid.
2. Will focus on one row instead of 2 rows. In fact, only once in a while will need another row, will just throw some bean bags around.
3. Install ceiling grid. Something I took for granted only install in office. The ceiling grid gives great flexibility of installing and changing of various acoustic panels and speakers.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 22:52 »
Just came back from ronildoq's place.

Hard to describe in words. But truly amazing and very impressed.
The scene from Quiet Place when the monsters entered the house brings out a wide spectrum of frequency and loudness. Almost like a totally different movie to me!

At this stage, I will inform the architect to
1. Width to be 6.5m instead of 5m. Length shortens from 9m to 8.5m. Ceiling height raw 3.7m, 3.2m with ceiling grid.
2. Will focus on one row instead of 2 rows. In fact, only once in a while will need another row, will just throw some bean bags around.
3. Install ceiling grid. Something I took for granted only install in office. The ceiling grid gives great flexibility of installing and changing of various acoustic panels and speakers.

Seems like The Quiet Place has become the proverbial demo clip to showcase the dynamics and how "truly quiet"  your HT system can achieve :P

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 23:35 »
Seems like The Quiet Place has become the proverbial demo clip to showcase the dynamics and how "truly quiet"  your HT system can achieve :P

Just watched that scene again. My HT system failed  :'(. Cannot hear the clock ticking. The wife breathing not as clear. Monster moving did not shake the sofa. A lot of improvement required.

Offline tigerman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 23:36 »
hope u not using Marantz AVR in the basement...
it will fail because of fungus growth on the internal pcb board of the Marantz.
but to prevent fungus growth, "according to Marantz local SG tech, pls cover your AVR"