Author Topic: Basement for Home Theater  (Read 6992 times)

Offline mutant

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Basement for Home Theater
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 00:23 »
Seems like The Quiet Place has become the proverbial demo clip to showcase the dynamics and how "truly quiet"  your HT system can achieve :P
Where can we download this demo clip to test?  ;D
Thanks!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 06:19 »
Just watched that scene again. My HT system failed  :'(. Cannot hear the clock ticking. The wife breathing not as clear. Monster moving did not shake the sofa. A lot of improvement required.

Yes for this clip ( assuming Roni is playing the same clip and scenes I’ve showcased to him during his visit to my place) is certainly there...this clip is a good at testing the noise floor and how “silent” are your speakers and your listening environment. This is my fave go to demo scene for every start of my demo session.

The trick to putting demo scenes to showcase your home theater setup is not to play loud and noisy action scenes first as you need your audience to “acclimatize” to your setup and your listening environment. Start with something gradual but still satisfyingly  immersive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 06:21 »
Thanks!

I will try to upload this clip for sharing later today. I have stitched 2 separate scenes into one clip for demo purpose.

Offline ngsk

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58 »
Thanks!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rvcKObhnq3CQJs4zrdreyaNs5ew4U7_y?usp=sharing
Uploaded by bro ronildoq on pg 2 of AVSForum Demo Vault - Link Sharing
Great dynamic range.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:01 by ngsk »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30 »
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rvcKObhnq3CQJs4zrdreyaNs5ew4U7_y?usp=sharing
Great dynamic range.

Thanks for sharing...save me the trouble :)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12 »
Just came back from ronildoq's place.

Hard to describe in words. But truly amazing and very impressed.
The scene from Quiet Place when the monsters entered the house brings out a wide spectrum of frequency and loudness. Almost like a totally different movie to me!

At this stage, I will inform the architect to
1. Width to be 6.5m instead of 5m. Length shortens from 9m to 8.5m. Ceiling height raw 3.7m, 3.2m with ceiling grid.
2. Will focus on one row instead of 2 rows. In fact, only once in a while will need another row, will just throw some bean bags around.
3. Install ceiling grid. Something I took for granted only install in office. The ceiling grid gives great flexibility of installing and changing of various acoustic panels and speakers.

Hope it helped. Now you will have an idea of what to do and how you wanna go ahead and plan your future set up, cos once you fix it no turning back. Very hard to undo. Glad it helped and pleased to know you enjoyed the session !

When the noise floor is Low, every single detail will just present itself. That scene has the best dynamic range, especially good for testing power amplifier

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 09:20 »
Great dynamic range.

Thanks ngsk for sharing... cool... 8)

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 09:22 »

Hope it helped. Now you will have an idea of what to do and how you wanna go ahead and plan your future set up, cos once you fix it no turning back. Very hard to undo. Glad it helped and pleased to know you enjoyed the session !

When the noise floor is Low, every single detail will just present itself. That scene has the best dynamic range, especially good for testing power amplifier

+1 totally agree  ;)

BadEnglish

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 09:36 »

I can't help but wonder why you said When the noise floor is Low, every single detail will just present itself.

Does it mean REW , an active bass trap,  a 5k costs power conitioner , a top notch AV processor, and 4 big 18 inch beasts are unnecessary?

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01 »
I can't help but wonder why you said When the noise floor is Low, every single detail will just present itself.

Does it mean REW , an active bass trap,  a 5k costs power conitioner , a top notch AV processor, and 4 big 18 inch beasts are unnecessary?

Bro Bad English that's a very interesting question... :D

I have visit Byran's place twice.
1st visit was to audit the Active bass trap..
2nd visit basically all equipment is the same after the make over for the room treatment. The sound quality is very much different from my last visit..  :-*
As for the equipment wise and type of bass is up to user preference... no good or bad... just preference.. 8)

Heard a lot from Winthur your stereo setup is good.. cool... 8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:10 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 10:24 »

Yea they all contribute to the overall experience. Given a choice, I would pick the room above everything else, and the SMT wings.

That was my goal in 2019 after visiting the studio in HK, lowering the noise floor, using strategically placed acoustics material within the room. That was the first thing I noticed that had the biggest improvement , the room itself with a Low noise floor.

Hillviewer would have an idea how a 15 year old air cond contributed to the overall experience, the noise. So yea, the purpose for the visit was to demonstrate how the room contributes so he doesn’t make any mistakes with his new basement theatre room

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30 »
Yea they all contribute to the overall experience. Given a choice, I would pick the room above everything else, and the SMT wings.

That was my goal in 2019 after visiting the studio in HK, lowering the noise floor, using strategically placed acoustics material within the room. That was the first thing I noticed that had the biggest improvement , the room itself with a Low noise floor.

Hillviewer would have an idea how a 15 year old air cond contributed to the overall experience, the noise. So yea, the purpose for the visit was to demonstrate how the room contributes so he doesn’t make any mistakes with his new basement theatre room

Wow...your Air-cond still going strong after 15 yrs?! You must really know how to maintain it. Mine, I've changed no less than 3 times over a decade alone.

BadEnglish

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 10:32 »
Bro Bad English that's a very interesting question... :D

I have visit Byran's place twice.
1st visit was to audit the Active bass trap..
2nd visit basically all equipment is the same after the make over for the room treatment. The sound quality is very much different from my last visit..  :-*
As for the equipment wise and type of bass is up to user preference... no good or bad... just preference.. 8)

Heard a lot from Winthur your stereo setup is good.. cool... 8)

With due respect, 

Your comparison will be only valid,  if there were nothing had been changed except the room treatments.

I've visited his place last year twice. And I did tell him very straight : your system lack of fidelity and I did invite him to show what were the fidelity ( one or two) that his system was lacking I.e wind , rain.

BadEnglish

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 10:39 »

So the    When the noise floor is Low, every single detail will just present itself statement is not technically and politically correct but it's your reference.

Offline Jason Yeo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41 »
Yes for this clip ( assuming Roni is playing the same clip and scenes I’ve showcased to him during his visit to my place) is certainly there...this clip is a good at testing the noise floor and how “silent” are your speakers and your listening environment. This is my fave go to demo scene for every start of my demo session.

The trick to putting demo scenes to showcase your home theater setup is not to play loud and noisy action scenes first as you need your audience to “acclimatize” to your setup and your listening environment. Start with something gradual but still satisfyingly  immersive.

Lol, same here . I like to start off with "A quiet place" too during demo .
Denon,Marantz,Stewart,Ayre,Furutech,PS audio Wireworld,Bettercables,RGPC,Quantum,Pioneer,SvS,Shunyata,Hifi-tuning,Auralex,Mcintosh,JBL,Equitech,silent source,exactpower,Revelation Audio Labs,elementcable,ASC,lessloss,PuristAudioDesign,Kubala Sosna,Oyaide,Nordost,EuroAudioTeam,Kimble select,SeatonSubmersive