Author Topic: Basement for Home Theater  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Hillviewer

• Trade Count: (+1)
Basement for Home Theater
« on: February 25, 2019, 16:20 »
Considering to build a basement for HT.
Need advice in a local context like dampness, ventilation, regulations.
Will appreciate advice from any bros who has experience with a basement for HT.
Thanks.

Offline Goldberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Enjoy your music for yourself & not others.
Re: Basement for Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 16:28 »
Ventilation should not be any issue as long there’s air con. Basement tends to have high level of moisture so better get a good dehumidifier to remove them to prevent equipment turn moldy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marantz SA-7S1 (Reference SACD Player)
Marantz NA-11S1 (DAC/Reference Network Player)
Marantz SC-7S2 (Reference Pre)
Karan Acoustics KAS400 (Stereo Dual Mono Power Amp)
Focal Scala Utopia (Speakers)
NBS & Siltech (Cables)
Jade Audio IsoGen2 (Isolation Footers)
PLixir BAC Elementa 2500 (Power Conditioner)
NBS Mine (Power Conditioner)

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 15:23 »
To have a basement sound room is my dream. A basement sound room will be ideal as once I add a heavy door, I can crank up the decibels without offending family and neighbours. I can have kaki come over at any time for an extended music fest.

Things that come to my mind:
1) Extreme water-proofing of the walls to stop ground water seepage, also highlighted by Goldberg
2) Contingency in case of flooding due to burst pipe or heavy rain / surrounding area flooding. Especially if the house will be unattended some of the time. A water alarm of sorts, and maybe an automatic scavenge pump should water make its way in. You don't want the $nnn,000 worth of equipment drowned, or LP collection damaged.
3. Have a separate mains DB just for the basement.
4. The 2 basement audio rooms I visited both had low headroom. Just over 2m tall when the main house had 3m+ ceilings. This restricted the screen, speaker height and soundstage height.
5. The feeling was a tad claustrophobic. Choice of cheery colours and lights will alleviate.

My 2 cents.   

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 17:31 »
I have done 3 basement AV consultation works before , all the above recommendation are valid points . Have to know what to look out for on the foundation and the detail of where will be water pipes and if Swimming pool locations .

It is the best to have at a basement HT and Audio room .
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 20:27 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 15:04 »

4. The 2 basement audio rooms I visited both had low headroom. Just over 2m tall when the main house had 3m+ ceilings. This restricted the screen, speaker height and soundstage height.
5. The feeling was a tad claustrophobic. Choice of cheery colours and lights will alleviate.

My 2 cents.   

May I know why just 2m? construction cost or bad design?

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 17:45 »
I have no idea why the developers built homes with low headroom basement. Like you said, can be due to costs. If your intended home has a deep basement, make the most out of it.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 17:53 »
If your intended home has a deep basement, make the most out of it.

If it has a shallow basement dig some more out of it if you have that option :P
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 17:39 »
It will be a reconstruction. So I seriously consider having a basement built to the requirement of a HT.
Just hope that there is no existing sewage pipe or other structure below ground.

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 20:58 »
This Rob Hahn HT will always be my reference HT. It's a serious job, designing a dedicated room from scratch.

I'm not sure that one can undertake the design ownself, without hired professional help. We really don't know what we don't know.. And by the time we realise the mistake, it's way too late to fix most things.

And honestly, I'm not sure such level of expertise exists in Singapore... Imo, it seems like many of the dedicated hobbyist builds on this forum already surpasses what an integrator in SG can spec and achieve, and likely being totally chop carrot in the process.

Maybe some ultra high end ones exist in SG ... But at those prices, does the owner really care about specs and absolute performance?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2523385-rob-hahn-theater-build.html

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 16:56 »
After the builder built the basement, most likely I will try to fit out the HT as much as I can learn from this forum and AVSforum.

Thank you for the link.

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 17:46 »
Noise floor is very important and difficult to achieve for dedicated room. It involves decisions like putting the aircon fan coil unit in a separate room or hush box. Similarly the projector. Otherwise, will ever be able to achieve better than NC 35 or NC40..

Imax specs Nc25 minimum. Rob Hahn is like NC negative 10 or better?

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 16:54 »
Projector in a separate room or hush box because of the noise from the projector fan?

I plan to use ducted air con. So outlet and return in HT but fan coil outside?

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 17:41 »
Wow bro
Moving to landed?
Nice choice 👍
There’s a bro here with a wonderful basement den. Lives in Bukit Timah.
Am waiting for him to come in and share.. awesome den.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 20:48 »
yeah...moving to landed.

can't wait for the bro to share his fantastic basement den. actually, literally, as have to confirm the design with the architect in these 2 weeks.

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 10:18 »
Projector in a separate room or hush box because of the noise from the projector fan?

I plan to use ducted air con. So outlet and return in HT but fan coil outside?
Sorry didn't catch up on this thread.

Basically for any room size and volume, there's a certain minimum airflow rate to maintain air exchange quality per code requirements.

So that requires a certain airflow velocity in your Aircon ducts. If you just leave it to standard sizing, the airflow velocity will be quite high and might be audible as noise. Dedicated noise floor design will have to calculate all this and size the inlet and outlet ducts accordingly. Also think about symmetry of the inlet and outlet duct locations. And noise from the fan coil travelling down the duct into the room, might need some form of muffler in the duct too.

Along those lines, projector fans are noisy too. Especially if it's located somewhere above your head.

It really depends how far you want to go. Acoustic treatment of the room is a big consideration for dedicated build too, obviously.

And light controls for best PQ. The screen is white. The projector cannot project 'black'. Your black is only as good as the amount of light reflecting back from the room (from the PJ image) and back to the screen. Perhaps some ALR screen can help with this, vs going a total black bat cave.

Our hearing and vision is incredibly sensitive. We can actually see in starlight on a moonless night, how faint is that. When the noise floor goes way down, and the ear has time to adjust to that, the detail, nuances and dynamics of the sound will be off the charts.

But, there is a big difference between low noise floor and an anechoic chamber. A low noise floor in a properly treated acoustic space still provides rich spatial cues via diffuse delayed reflections from any sound that is generated, your  breathing, creaking of the sofa, foot steps etc. It allows the ear-brain to judge the size and distance to the walls etc and all is good. You feel good sitting there in the quiet in the sofa. No ringing or roaring in the ears, because you can still hear the space very clearly. Very Quiet, yet spacious and rich ambient feel.

In an anechoic chamber, any sound reaches the walls and is totally absorbed. No sound comes back except what is reflected off your own body. That is very disconcerting to the ear - brain as it cannot grasp the sense of the space through the reflected sound.

Cheers!