Author Topic: Spade vs bananas ending...  (Read 3487 times)

Offline jaffrie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Spade vs bananas ending...
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 16:27 »
It's nice & dandy to see you guys discuss about speaker termination, speaker cables contribution to SQ etc but has any one ever thought about what the speaker binding post/termination in affecting the sound due material used, core size of binding post, impedance/reflection issue etc. One day when my system is finalised, I might just solder the speaker wires all the way from amp into the speakers omitting all the binding post all together. Total  inconvenience yes but food for thought since we're all after max SQ right guys ?

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 17:00 »
It's nice & dandy to see you guys discuss about speaker termination, speaker cables contribution to SQ etc but has any one ever thought about what the speaker binding post/termination in affecting the sound due material used, core size of binding post, impedance/reflection issue etc. One day when my system is finalised, I might just solder the speaker wires all the way from amp into the speakers omitting all the binding post all together. Total  inconvenience yes but food for thought since we're all after max SQ right guys ?

......and I suggest you should bypass the amplifier output fuse as well.  The fuse may so much difference, even a lousy system you can tell the difference.

For me, my amplifier so expensive, I cannot bear to do this.  Cardas with Rhodium plated silver terminal!!  How?? LOL.

(Audio)

Offline Qubes_Audio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ceramic ball footers for better sound
    • Qubes AUDIO
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 17:12 »

i think you are wrong to omit that. Speaker binding post provides 2 important aspects.
1. safe and universal termination for anyone and everyone to change different speaker cables.
2. various different material inside the binding post is also the key to tweaking the correct sound for the Speaker itself. yes it affects alot of issues which you mention. it is for a reason.

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 18:57 »
Yes what I suggested is not for the faint hearted & off course not for you guys who spends mega dollars on your equipment but ????. Lol It’s like Lambos & Ferraris already top notch & yet you’ll find owners wanting more out of their cars.

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 19:58 »
I don't use connectors... just another lump of metal. I use just bare wire to spk binding post.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 20:06 »
If you are particular about soldering, there are interconnect and speaker cables that no use solder to the connectors.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 20:08 by qflyer »

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 21:26 »
Yes BTW I do the same as well but those other lumps of metal surely causes sound degration. Well guess I would have to try it for myself when the time comes.

Cheers

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 22:24 »
Yes BTW I do the same as well but those other lumps of metal surely causes sound degration. Well guess I would have to try it for myself when the time comes.

Cheers

Good for you bro, Anyway you can try pure silver wires.. silver oxide is conductive so in that sense better than oxidised pure copper.
If you want to look at interconnect wire directly pressure connected... Have a look at 47 Labs OTA plastic RCA connector... very clever design.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 22:28 by BTW »

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 00:56 »
Thanks for sharing BTW. I'm not into silver, right now using Duelund 16 awg as speaker wires. Have also change internal speaker wires to Duelund as well.

Thanks again 

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21 »
FWIW I’ve found good cable manufacturers don’t just focus on material and construction of the cables - they also focus on terminations and connectors. I’m not a big fan of local soldering. If you see the care and detail in terminating cables in some of the cables I’ve seen, it just doesn’t seem to make the most of the cables if we snip and join them on our own.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 07:59 »
The question is would one be able to discern the difference reliably between ownself snip and terminated cable and mfg terminated cable in a blind listening test? I think not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:09 by kaydee6 »

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 08:06 »
The usage of different solder is audible

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 08:09 »
It is impossible to do blind test dealing with 2 sets of speaker cables without other factors skewing the results

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 11:15 »
The WBT Banana is a good compromise of having banana but geared towards properties of a spade connection.

Totally stressed, 2 stubs gripped onto your bare wire to increase mating surface and screw tensioned banana contacts to increase mating surface.....

It is a banana trying to achieve spade characteristics....

(Audio)