Author Topic: Just got Momitsu  (Read 4198 times)

Offline hifi_enthusiast

• Trade Count: (0)
Just got Momitsu
« on: October 06, 2004, 21:17 »
Just got the original Momitsu and 10 m DVI cable from Fastlogic.

No sparklies. Using it in wide600 with my AE300. Definitely some improvments. The improvements on average DVDs were so-so but when playing reference DVDs there was a greater improvement. I think my findings are similar to Desray who had this combination before.

My initial impression of the Momitsu is very positive. If i were forced to think of negatives, I don't like the audio selection - when selecting audio tracks, the description (i.e. DD/ DTS / PCM) is not given, it just says audio 1/2/3.

Offline BobaFett

• Bounty Hunter
Re: Just got Momitsu
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 06:34 »
It does not show "time remaining".  >:(
"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

High Definition 720p/1080p MKV Movies download GALORE here -->  http://www.giganews.com/?c=kenobi

Offline pixel8

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 21:22 »
How's the compatibility with AE300? Is it 1:1 pixel mapping or additional black bars?

Is your Momitsu the new models ie.V880DX and V880N?

How much you paid for the player and cable?

Thanks in advance

No sparklies. Using it in wide600 with my AE300. Definitely some improvments. The improvements on average DVDs were so-so but when playing reference DVDs there was a greater improvement. I think my findings are similar to Desray who had this combination before.

My initial impression of the Momitsu is very positive. If i were forced to think of negatives, I don't like the audio selection - when selecting audio tracks, the description (i.e. DD/ DTS / PCM) is not given, it just says audio 1/2/3.

Offline hifi_enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 21:46 »
How's the compatibility with AE300? Is it 1:1 pixel mapping or additional black bars?

Is your Momitsu the new models ie.V880DX and V880N?

How much you paid for the player and cable?

Thanks in advance

i got the old model because clearance price of $399 while stocks last. 1:1 pixel mapping with AE-300 is not possible even on the special L300U modes but the results with DVI are pretty good and more importantly, no sparklies with 10m cable.

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:26 »
Except for the remote control, I've been totally happy with the Momitsu for the last 8 months or so. Am thinking of getting the network version if I can be sure that I can attach a NFS to it via Ethernet.

Offline pixel8

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 11:42 »
Is there a clearance sale going on at Fastlogic?

No 1:1 pixel mapping with AE300? Thought I read somewhere Desray mentioned it can with 960x540 (http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22701.msg172134#msg172134)

What player and connection were you using prior to Momitsu? Was the difference night and day or was it possibly psychological?

i got the old model because clearance price of $399 while stocks last. 1:1 pixel mapping with AE-300 is not possible even on the special L300U modes but the results with DVI are pretty good and more importantly, no sparklies with 10m cable.

Offline hifi_enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 12:00 »
wah upping old thread :) I think they have sold off all the old models already...

my old dvdp was pioneer dv-626 (non-progressive) via Belden component. I feel there was an improvement switching to DVI and progressive output. I also prefer the convenience of one single DVI cable vs 3 separate component cables.

i see a tiny black bar of unused pixels at the bottom even when playing 'full frame' 4:3 material, or maybe thats something else. Anyway the bar is so tiny it doesn't bother me.

Offline relakbro

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 12:25 »
Hope u dun mind, I oso jump in!  ;D

Can I ask (all/any Momitsu users): how is it at playing "friendly" discs?

Offline pixel8

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 12:40 »
Did you manage to try the resolution output mentioned by Desray, which matches the native of AE300? Or is Desray only referring to the newer models of Momitsu which has such resolution?

wah upping old thread :) I think they have sold off all the old models already...

my old dvdp was pioneer dv-626 (non-progressive) via Belden component. I feel there was an improvement switching to DVI and progressive output. I also prefer the convenience of one single DVI cable vs 3 separate component cables.

i see a tiny black bar of unused pixels at the bottom even when playing 'full frame' 4:3 material, or maybe thats something else. Anyway the bar is so tiny it doesn't bother me.

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • HT addict
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 13:30 »
Hope u dun mind, I oso jump in!  ;D

Can I ask (all/any Momitsu users): how is it at playing "friendly" discs?

No problem!

Phil

Offline suwen

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 14:37 »

Me too, got the DX, old version not available here.

Likewise, think it is quite good for its price.  As for the -ive, just has to get use to it.

The new DX does not allow customisation, or at least the component part.  Not sure of the DVI part, will play with it this evening.  Thank god my pj native is 1280x720, so 720p will not cause much harm.

how is it at playing "friendly" discs?

Aiya, don't buy friendly discslah... hehe ;D

Hv not really tried these discs on the momitsu yet.... but my other PRC dvdp, giek 3118, can play almost any discs, even those with bad scratches... presentation wise momitsu is ahead, but giek equavalent, ie skyworth etc, is half the price

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • I predicted overhead spkrs 10 yrs ago.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 21:55 »
My original momitsu is even better than my pio 655a when playing friendly disc. The best part I like about the 880 is that it has video adjustments, custom res and got hidden menu.

Its got a few quirky behaviour but nothing major to detract from the potential pq.
ATMOS and Auro ready! 15 surr spkrs . Time to optimize