Author Topic: My 7.2.6 HT construction journey  (Read 2035 times)

Offline lampsy86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
My 7.2.6 HT construction journey
« on: January 31, 2019, 23:20 »
Hey guys. So I have finally decided on the setup & planning for my HT at my new BTO unit. Thought of sharing the journey here so that I can get info, share & hopefully avoid mistakes.

Planning to go 7.2.6 ! Have attached the floorplan with HT layout as planned. Will be going with 6 in-ceiling speakers.

The 7 bed channel speakers will be all RSL CG23's & the 6 in-ceiling speakers will be RSL C34e, as of now I'm also planning to go with RSL for subwoofers, 2 Speedwoofer 10S !

I have given up on the idea of projector , will be sticking with 65 inch TV ( might upgrade to a bigger screen size when 4K/8K broadcasting & channels pick up & when prices keep plummeting for bigger TV screens, few years away I reckon).

Decided to use the money I saved on getting a 4k projector & screen to spend on room treatment.

Will be most likely going for Marantz 8805, unless the likes of Arcam or Anthem announce a 13 channel processor, will keep a lookout for Monoprice's new 16 channel processor as well.

The space is actually the living room. 5.1m long by 4.9m wide by 2.7m high.

Right now there is 3 meter long opening on the right sidewall (opens into dining area, kitchen, common toilet, 2 rooms & main entrance)
Brainstorming ideas now to have retractable/foldable partition for this opening so that i can seal the space when HT is in use.

The back wall has a door that leads to the master bedroom, planning to install "acoustic" door with a good seal. Windows on the left side wall, will get some good thick curtains for them.

Planning to install a dedicated AC-line for HT use.

So that's about it for now. Still planning the other aspects of the house renovation.

Any tips, improvements, ideas, suggestions are more than welcome !!

Esp, anything I need to take note be mindful of in regards to new dedicated AC line ?

Thanks guys !

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
Re: My 7.2.6 HT construction journey
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:45 »
Here is a better less blurry image of the layout.

Initially wanted to use front height & rear height speakers together with TMR & TML to cover Atmos, dts X & Auro 3D, but due to WAF in-ceiling became the only option for height channels, so decided to ignore Auro 3d & go for just Atmos & DTS X.

Now I have to decide between grid type T-bar suspended ceiling (can use acoustic ceiling drop-in tiles) or normal false ceiling.

Anyone know if it's possible for us in Singapore to do false ceiling with wooden frames/studs instead of the aluminium/metal frame ??
Do HDB allow it ?? Are there contractors who use wooden frames instead of aluminium/metal ones in SG ?

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 14:30 »
Superb! Amazing space, 4.5m x 5m stuff of dreams haha.

Any plans for a projector? 65inch TV need to sit 2m away for the appropriate immersive viewing angles

Regarding dedicated lines, perhaps should run at least 2 lines. One for power amps, one for line levels, sources etc.

What subs are you planning?

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 15:44 »

Any plans for a projector? 65inch TV need to sit 2m away for the appropriate immersive viewing angles

Regarding dedicated lines, perhaps should run at least 2 lines. One for power amps, one for line levels, sources etc.

Haha yeah, quite a decent space for a HDB unit, more surprisingly it got seal of approval from my wife !!! (Of course had to bribe her with bathTub in MBR toilet & Blum kitchen )

Yes, projector was very tempting (gaming & watching football in 100-120" screen )!! But I decided to save cost given all the decent native 4k laser projectors are still expensive right now (jvc, sony) & big screen TV prices are going down, so thought I would stick with my current 65inch B6 oled & just upgrade to a 77inch or even bigger TV screen once prices come down, microLED from Samsung might be an option too down the not so far road.

As for Subwoofer, planning to get dual RSL speedwoofer 10S, might get another 2 more down the road to go quad sub, need to spread out the spending.

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 15:50 »

And thanks on the advice for the dedicated line, I think I might end up doing two.

Do you think a power conditioner is worth the $ even after a dedicated power line ???

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 18:44 »
Here is a better less blurry image of the layout.

Initially wanted to use front height & rear height speakers together with TMR & TML to cover Atmos, dts X & Auro 3D, but due to WAF in-ceiling became the only option for height channels, so decided to ignore Auro 3d & go for just Atmos & DTS X.

Now I have to decide between grid type T-bar suspended ceiling (can use acoustic ceiling drop-in tiles) or normal false ceiling.

Anyone know if it's possible for us in Singapore to do false ceiling with wooden frames/studs instead of the aluminium/metal frame ??
Do HDB allow it ?? Are there contractors who use wooden frames instead of aluminium/metal ones in SG ?

Nice lampsy ! I would move the TOP middle slightly back above MLP , about 50cm, nice layout, follow the Dolby recommended guideline posted by badenglish, that’s a good guide and a good place to start. Don’t need to worry about auro or voice of god Or dtsx layout, just follow the Dolby Atmos and u will be good.

The Monoprice processor looks promising, if it arrives SG probably July to sept period. Monoprice in collaboration with ati who shares tech with datasat, I believe it will be good, especially with Dirac

The power conditioner I got , is very good indeed, I think it’s wise of u to focus on the acoustics of the room. Fundamentals in the room will enhance your experience significantly. The  PRojector is nice, but I share the same views with you. So I held off upgrading this year

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 19:27 »
Nice lampsy ! I would move the TOP middle slightly back above MLP , about 50cm, nice layout, follow the Dolby recommended guideline posted by badenglish, that’s a good guide and a good place to start. Don’t need to worry about auro or voice of god Or dtsx layout, just follow the Dolby Atmos and u will be good.

The Monoprice processor looks promising, if it arrives SG probably July to sept period. Monoprice in collaboration with ati who shares tech with datasat, I believe it will be good, especially with Dirac

The power conditioner I got , is very good indeed, I think it’s wise of u to focus on the acoustics of the room. Fundamentals in the room will enhance your experience significantly. The  PRojector is nice, but I share the same views with you. So I held off upgrading this year
Yes, the monoprice processor sounds great value ON PAPER, hopefully it is the real deal & not another half-baked rushed to the market product like the RMC-1 !

I'm also fingers crossed for Arcam to announce a new 13 channel processor....but even if they do, I wonder when can get them here in SG, might be a long wait.

For now, the Marantz 8805 is the most realistic  option !

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 20:46 »
A lot of monoprice stuff is 120vac only so better double check that
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 21:45 »
A lot of monoprice stuff is 120vac only so better double check that
True that.

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 21:49 »

Just to have a better understanding of the acoustical benefits/disadvantage, may I know the reason why u suggest to move the Top middle speaker 50cm behind MLP ?
Thanks .

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 22:35 »
Nice, read good stuff about the rsl 10s. Did you have other subs prior to this? Just trying to gauge expectations, haha.

Subwoofer arms race gets out of hand very fast on XP

What speakers for mains and surrounds? Amps? So many channels, will be $$$ too!

Offline synthesis

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 23:30 »
Nice, read good stuff about the rsl 10s. Did you have other subs prior to this? Just trying to gauge expectations, haha.

Yea I was wondering whether he will be happy in a long run with subs that can go down to 24Hz only. I was going to offer my service to build better one ;D

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 00:04 »

What speakers for mains and surrounds? Amps? So many channels, will be $$$ too!

All 7 ear-level channels will be RSL CG23 monitors.

All 6 in-ceiling speakers will be RSL C34E.

Subwoofers will be RSL Speedwoofer 10S, will be going dual to begin with, might get another 2 more for quad-sub setup down the road.

My previous sub was SB1000.

Amps -  will be using IOTA AVXP1, already own one, so will be getting one more for the height speakers.

As far as my expectation on subwoofer or my bass preference.....my HT usage is 95% movies/TV/Gaming, very very little music. I don't really care that much for bass rattling my floors & walls, but prefer smooth integration & coherence with my speakers with little to no overhang & resonance . Besides, my wife doesn't like rumblings & thumping bass either, very conscious about pissing off neighbours. So I prefer smaller drivers on my subwoofers.

At my new place my unit doesn't have any shared wall space with my neighbours, it's highest floor unit so no neighbours above me, but I do have to worry about my neighbour below.

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 00:12 »

Yea I was wondering whether he will be happy in a long run with subs that can go down to 24Hz only. I was going to offer my service to build better one ;D
Hahaha...! You built subs ? Nice !!! What drivers ?

Offline synthesis

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 00:29 »
Hahaha...! You built subs ? Nice !!! What drivers ?

I've built subs with many drivers: Acoustics Elegance, Rythmik, Dayton, old SVS, Wavecor, SB Acoustics, CSS, TC Sounds; of various models. How, interested? ;D