Author Topic: DLP 4K projector (Benq 5700 Great Sharing ) More Picture from tweaking  (Read 29493 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Fantastic service there from local BenQ!

Got mine updated by BenQ, both iris firmware and overall firmware updates completed. The iris update should improve contrast. But so far very happy with the calibrated PJ on SDR, Very very good!

One thing to note is to take/jot down your settings, after the upgrade it will be gone. Isf calibrated settings were all back to default. So it might be worth noting it down before the upgrade. Luckily I have that. However the colours and default factory calibrated settings on REc709 and D cinema were intact.

Will have a quick check again on picture quality when time permits, so far so good, played some YouTube stuff all good

Another thing noted is that when HDR is not set to auto, apparently one can use the rest of the other modes available. So when set to HDR auto, it will use only a specific HDR10 picture mode that is grayed out. So gonna try to turn it off, see if I can use other picture modes. Apparently it is also different from the d cinema settings on SDR

PS:/ big thank you to Alf for arranging! Thanks a lot Alf, great service , much appreciated for all the efforts

Offline ronildoq

Some reviews comparing it with LCOS projector and the confirmation that this w5700 is no slouch for its price to performance ratio

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DUOCccWlbOc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DUOCccWlbOc&fs=1</a>

The only gripe i have with this PJ is the quality of the tone mapping. But I cannot expect it to rival the OLED LG tv at home , the HDR is in a different league on flat panels

In coming years, evaluation for a PJ with good tone mapping implementation is critical to deciding whether or not one goes for it

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Using the Panasonic UB820 has made a lot of UHD movies watchable. Too bad it doesn’t pass through/process another input like my media player.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

Using the Panasonic UB820 has made a lot of UHD movies watchable. Too bad it doesn’t pass through/process another input like my media player.

Yes the other thing is it doesn’t support a lot of formats vide it’s USB port, no dtsx or Atmos passthrough vide USB, that was a hindrance for me , for disc playback it’s good

Offline ronildoq

Another thing noted is that when HDR is not set to auto, apparently one can use the rest of the other modes available. So when set to HDR auto, it will use only a specific HDR10 picture mode that is grayed out. So gonna try to turn it off, see if I can use other picture modes. Apparently it is also different from the d cinema settings on SDR

Ok clarified last night on the above. Not setting HDR to “auto” mode will strip the metadata , and display switches to REC709. No longer in REC2020 mode, tone  mapping is turned off

So HDR have to be set to “auto”, and there is only one picture  mode, ie  HDR10

Didn’t notice any significant improvement on contrast after the dynamic iris update. Maybe there is improvement, but I am not able to tell clearly between the past firmware version vs the upgraded firmware.

Most importantly, all is working well after the upgrade , touch wood so far so good

Very much inclined to fiddle with brightness and HDR brightness settings again after the iris update , it appears brightness set to 45 is quite nice in HDR mode and HDR brightness set at +1 seems to be clipping white , pictures looking slightly washed out at higher nits

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
Yes the other thing is it doesn’t support a lot of formats vide it’s USB port, no dtsx or Atmos passthrough vide USB, that was a hindrance for me , for disc playback it’s good

Is your Panny 820 USA set?

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
Some reviews comparing it with LCOS projector and the confirmation that this w5700 is no slouch for its price to performance ratio

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DUOCccWlbOc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DUOCccWlbOc&fs=1</a>

The only gripe i have with this PJ is the quality of the tone mapping. But I cannot expect it to rival the OLED LG tv at home , the HDR is in a different league on flat panels

In coming years, evaluation for a PJ with good tone mapping implementation is critical to deciding whether or not one goes for it
Trying to read the english subtitles translated from German was very hard

Offline ronildoq

Is your Panny 820 USA set?

I had a penny 420 Australia set, sold it , didn’t work out for me, as I needed USB playback for MKV / TS flies in Atmos/ dtsx

Apparently the sets from japan are different, they have better specs and components

Offline ronildoq

Some 3D disc arrived from amazon , bought on prime day cheap... mostly documentary stuff.

One of my favourites, though, is the legends of the Guardian , owls of gahoole, very good 3D

We watched it for like 20mins, didn’t want to expose the kids too much to 3D stuff, but they have been pestering me.

Boy, it’s amazing on 3D on the 135”, I can see strands of feathers from the owls, unbelievable 3D quality from the BenQ. My boy says he can catch the feathers !

It’s my first watching 3D on the big 135” screen. Previously watching it on the tv, not really the same. Size matters again here !

Very immersive 3D experience, lotsa flight details from the sound track and vocals tracking on screen action, mesmerising 3D experience.

Am not really a fan of 3D, but for the first time in years, opinion has now changed after watching it on the BenQ

Ps:// 3D mode is also calibrated at factory, nice ! Pic quality is very very sharp and detailed. But it’s in rec709, next up will be alita, 4k HDR in 3D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Yes...generally speaking, DLP produces the best 3D imagery. While you maybe late into the 3D game (which is actually a good thing now that many kinks of the past that plagued 3D had been ironed out), it’s never too late to enjoy good 3D titles in the comfort of your home.

Glad to see u are loving your projector so much these days.

Offline ronildoq

Yes...generally speaking, DLP produces the best 3D imagery. While you maybe late into the 3D game (which is actually a good thing now that many kinks of the past that plagued 3D had been ironed out), it’s never too late to enjoy good 3D titles in the comfort of your home.

Glad to see u are loving your projector so much these days.

Oh, so one of the strengths of DLP is 3D. I didn’t even bother to read on 3D stuff, as wasn’t interested from the beginning. But it’s really nice, wasn’t expecting this type of quality. Caught me by surprise

It’s a treat for those who love 3D, u will enjoy it on the BenQ 5700!

Ps:// coming from someone who doesn’t like 3D at all

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
The settings are very simple and not complex but yet allow you to have variation on setting Rec 709 , moving forward like HLG settings to HDRs .

The best you are able to set to low lamp like eco or smart eco depending on the pre settings .

Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
Re: DLP 4K projector (Benq 5700 Great Sharing )
« Reply #327 on: August 26, 2019, 18:32 »

Images have been adjusted and tweak by using the HDR 10 Test disk .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:47 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline ronildoq

Watching toy story 4! The picture quality is fantastic on toy story 4, this one here looks good for HDR10 on the BenQ

Quite nice, one of the better movies for HDR mode

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
The reflection off the handle caught my eye, look realistic. The colours are nice.

Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast