Author Topic: Anyone using ground box?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone using ground box?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 08:23 »
Nordost QKore isn't cheap but they seem to have thought things through...

They said they opened up a few  competitor products and found organic material which they said degraded over time.. so they went to engineer a compound that would do the same grounding effect but wouldn't degrade with time. A customer said he preferred the 2 box QKore 1+QKore 3 vs 1 box QKore 6.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 10:52 »
How do the Entreqs and similar stack up vs the active Telos GNR, and vs the piece meal Acoustic Revive RGC-24 ground conditioner?

Offline francishuang

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18 »
Qkore1+ qkore3 gives a more solid image than qkore6

Nordost QKore isn't cheap but they seem to have thought things through...

They said they opened up a few  competitor products and found organic material which they said degraded over time.. so they went to engineer a compound that would do the same grounding effect but wouldn't degrade with time. A customer said he preferred the 2 box QKore 1+QKore 3 vs 1 box QKore 6.
Shindo is Music

Offline francishuang

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 11:20 »
The ground cable will influence the sound quite a bit. Power cord in the case of the active telos gnr

How do the Entreqs and similar stack up vs the active Telos GNR, and vs the piece meal Acoustic Revive RGC-24 ground conditioner?
Shindo is Music

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37 »

I have used all 3 before. I retained the rgc and entreq in my system. Telos does not work on my system. I was told that it is not compatible with my torus avr power conditioner.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 15:32 »
I have used all 3 before. I retained the rgc and entreq in my system. Telos does not work on my system. I was told that it is not compatible with my torus avr power conditioner.

Probably an open-ended question, but how does the AR RGC compare to the Entreq?

Was there any explanation (from Telos, perhaps) as to why a grounding device would not work with an isolation transformer?

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 16:00 »
Probably an open-ended question, but how does the AR RGC compare to the Entreq?

Was there any explanation (from Telos, perhaps) as to why a grounding device would not work with an isolation transformer?

I used both rgc and entreq together and found them synergistic. The rgc lowered the noise floor as did the entreq. The telos made my music dead sounding with or without the other grounding devices. Highs lost their sparkle. I read that others found it to have worked and directed the question to our local distributor as well as to xaudio. In any case, I returned the device and did not buy it. I bought a second entreq tellus 2 box instead.

Offline cayinist

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 20:31 »
Is the Torus a balanced transformer? I couldn’t use the GNR with my plixir because of that reason.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 00:47 »
Thanks, murphys33. Always wondered about their impact on a high end balanced AC conditioner.  Guess I would have to do a home demo at some stage.

Straying a bit OT, if you had to chose between the RGC, Entreq and the Stein, which would provide the most audible impact for the lowest investment?

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 11:05 »
I have limited success using RGC24 with  RR77 in a very hostile RF environment close to our national transmitters. I cannot totally keep the noise at bay. But staging, imaging and layering improved with their use. Yet to try other grounding tweaks as space is at a premium

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 12:00 »
Thanks, murphys33. Always wondered about their impact on a high end balanced AC conditioner.  Guess I would have to do a home demo at some stage.

Straying a bit OT, if you had to chose between the RGC, Entreq and the Stein, which would provide the most audible impact for the lowest investment?
I was told that the telos does not work with balanced transformer type of power conditioners. My trial does confirm that as well. I think the 3 products does different things. It has been a long time since I did audition for individual impact and  I would be hard pressed to isolate their individual effects. Their different price points also make it hard to qualify bang for buck comparison. Sorry cannot help there. I would say that the stein would be a main stay and I would choose either rgc or entreq to pair with stein. If I have smaller budget, maybe rgc. If I have a bigger budget, I would start with entreq

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 09:00 »
I have used all 3 before. I retained the rgc and entreq in my system. ...

Eh?, both RGC and Entreq?? Kind defeats the purpose of having a single common ground when you have both in-use...
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Analog_Solutions

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 16:54 »
I have been using 2 units of the Entreq Tellus 2 ground boxes.  The good thing about Tellus 2 is that it has 3 separate chambers which allows you to separate the digital, analog and power source just like the Entreq Poseidon.  I find that they generally lower the noise floor and improves the signal to noise ratio.  From my measurements using a voltmeter, it does not lower the ground voltage lower to zero but keeps it constant.

On the other hand, I have tried the Telos GNR Active Ground Box in my system and it was a disaster.  Initially when I did the measurements, the Telos GNR did lower the ground voltage to almost zero.  However when I started to connect my system to the Telos GNR, I encountered loud audible hum coming out from my speakers.  This situation was worst when I connect my preamp or phonostage to the Telos GNR.  I believe that this noise is generated by the switch mode power supply in the Telos GNR Active Ground Box.

After testing it overnight, I gave up and returned it the next day.

Offline francishuang

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 17:00 »
If looking for a very low ground voltage power solution. The stromtank measures at ard 0.04

I have been using 2 units of the Entreq Tellus 2 ground boxes.  The good thing about Tellus 2 is that it has 3 separate chambers which allows you to separate the digital, analog and power source just like the Entreq Poseidon.  I find that they generally lower the noise floor and improves the signal to noise ratio.  From my measurements using a voltmeter, it does not lower the ground voltage lower to zero but keeps it constant.

On the other hand, I have tried the Telos GNR Active Ground Box in my system and it was a disaster.  Initially when I did the measurements, the Telos GNR did lower the ground voltage to almost zero.  However when I started to connect my system to the Telos GNR, I encountered loud audible hum coming out from my speakers.  This situation was worst when I connect my preamp or phonostage to the Telos GNR.  I believe that this noise is generated by the switch mode power supply in the Telos GNR Active Ground Box.

After testing it overnight, I gave up and returned it the next day.
Shindo is Music

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 11:30 »
I tried Nordost qkore-1 vocal more focus and background more silent but for my system is not a huge jump as i using QB6 Uk with 2 x QV2 & GS titanium footer below....  GS titanium footer does make more of a difference straight away will noticed it when place....difference is huge compare to Qkore which i must focus to notice it