Author Topic: Anyone using ground box?  (Read 6177 times)

Offline thyewb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: Anyone using ground box?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 17:36 »
Has anyone tried the Chifi "Aucharm" ground box which is very affordable and compare with Entreq?

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2020, 14:01 »
Sorry to bring out an old thread.. Wondering for those who have ground boxes, at which point did you think you need a ground box? i.e. address an issue or looking forward to what kind of improvements etc.

Offline ho_kuku

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 16:47 »
Don't have much experience with all all kinds of groundbox brand - used Entreq and heard one china brand groundbox before only
My experience is that it is system dependent. It also depends on what you value.

Especially for tube equipments - I think the groundbox does wonders. Maybe tube equipments are more susceptible to noise.
Background definitely becomes darker - in some system the range also improved. Will also give your music a 3 dimensional boost.

From what I've heard and seen - grounding works quite well for source materials (CDs, phono, streamer & preamp etc).
For amplifiers and speakers - it depends.....

Some basics:
1) Don't expect to get a big groundbox and connect it to all your devices. Most people use 1 groundbox for their source equipments (incl preamp) and if required another for their amplifiers. The exception is that when your groundbox has got partitions - i.e. grounding posts (and grounding materials) are isolated from each other. Mixing input and output signal will shock circuit your system.

2) if you are thinking of grounding your speakers - you need 2 ground boxes. The exception from point (1) applies

3) grounding cables and materials makes quite a big difference. Cost can range from less than 100 to > 1k. Material are typically copper/ silver etc. When I first used the Entreq silver cables - my jaws dropped. Music sounds like shi&t. I then realised that even grounding cables requires some time to run in. It sounds ok after 1 week.

4) To me the Entreq products makes a bigger difference than China ones. Cannot dismiss that groundbox doen't work for you if you've only trying the China ones.

In my setup - it takes away some musicality and I am not willing to compromise on that front. As expected - am not using any groundbox now :)

Hope my 2 cents helps
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 17:21 by ho_kuku »

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 22:21 »
Thanks for sharing! seems like its system dependent.. I am thinking about grounding of power supply as I read somewhere one will gain more and give up less as compare to grounding of components. I am using synergestic research power conditioner now and thought of using ground box from same brand will have more synergy, but I have my doubts over active grounding boxes. Thinking of changing to a full nordost setup but unfortunately getting home auditions for ground boxes is a challenge. From what you say it seems like home auditions is definitely a must do for this case.

Offline ohlins

• a crown for every achievement
    • my watch and audio blog
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2020, 22:36 »
China box is cheap, no harm buy and try … the rest like Entreq are more expensive so can consider buying used ones …  never try won’t know good or not
the hype is true...listen at your own risk
visit http://oohlins.blogspot.com

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 22:54 »
Thanks for sharing! seems like its system dependent.. I am thinking about grounding of power supply as I read somewhere one will gain more and give up less as compare to grounding of components. I am using synergestic research power conditioner now and thought of using ground box from same brand will have more synergy, but I have my doubts over active grounding boxes. Thinking of changing to a full nordost setup but unfortunately getting home auditions for ground boxes is a challenge. From what you say it seems like home auditions is definitely a must do for this case.

Yes, they are highly system / component dependent, as it very much depends on how the ground is designed. Depending on the ground box brand and model, it may not necessarily be suitable for hooking up to the mains protective earth.

The Aucharm definitely does have an effect on the sound, although I strongly prefer Entreq ground boxes in my system. If you are skeptical, you can try some of the cheaper experiments and designs that were floated on Audioasylum a long time ago - search for Bud Purvine ground tweak. The cap with battery tweak in particular is as potent sounding as a ground box. If you look carefully at available products on the market, some manufacturers have caught on to it.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 09:08 »
Personally I’m using the cheaper edition, the ones from aucharm, honestly, I can’t tell any difference with and without. Plug out plug in sounds the same to me.

Plug in to speakers, I hear no improvements , plug in to lyngdorf, nothing also, to Oppo , nothing also, finally to the amplifiers, also can’t tell any difference .

I suspect the plixir and dedicated power supply together with the frank PE35 is doing its job, no benefits whatsoever at all at my place

I haven’t had the time to post it for sales, doesn’t benefit my set up

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 22:22 »
thanks all for the advice!

Offline HiFi

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2020, 13:30 »
can ground box eliminate pre-amp humming?
ARC Ref6, ARC PH9, Jadis Defy 7, Nottingham Ace Space deck 294 with 12-inch space arm, Clearaudio Syncro Speed Controller, AT OC9II phono cartridge. CEC TL-2X, Audio Note DAC 4.0X, Benchmark DAC1 for Oppo 103D and mediabox player, Sonus Faber Cremona M, VPI Record Cleaner, Shunyata cables, Geortz II speaker cables, Audio Note VX and Vz interconnects. Using Plixir Elite BAC 3000 balanced power conditioner with full Furutech sockets and Plixir Statement balanced power cable.

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2020, 18:29 »
can ground box eliminate pre-amp humming?

Nope. Most ground boxes aren't connected to anything and aren't really ground at all.

The proper way to handle your pre-amp issue is to find and eliminate the ground loop created in your system. Disconnect all your sources from the preamp, but leave it hooked up to the power amp. If there is still a hum, try plugging the power cords of both your preamp and power amp into the same power strip. If your hum only occurred recently and your equipment is quite old, consider whether your capacitors are going south.
Less is more !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal