Author Topic: dCS Vivaldi Thread  (Read 22566 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: dCS Vivaldi Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2019, 23:52 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DSM_xSSpPKs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DSM_xSSpPKs&fs=1</a>

Couldn’t have done a better review myself (obviously, considering I’m not a professional reviewer ;D)…

That said, I’ve had the dCS Bartók and Chord Dave together at my place for a couple of months now, and I have to say, I agree with Darko’s views, with just a couple of little differences;
  • Dave and Bartók sound more alike then they do different… versus other DACs which tend to sound dramatically different from dCS
  • I don’t find Dave having more nuanced details than Bartók, in fact, with more complex material, Bartók pulls ahead significantly, and Dave starts to sound muddled in the mid-range in comparison, details and space between the musical elements aren’t as easily discernible
  • If Darko thought Bartok sounded great by itself, wait till he adds the dCS Clock to it! (I’d imagine something similar could be said about Dave + M Scaler)

You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2019, 13:04 »
Andrew, what headphones have you been using with the Bartok? did you get a chance to compare the headphone outputs between the DAVE and the Bartok?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2019, 15:00 »
STAX.....

(Audio)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2019, 07:08 »
Andrew, what headphones have you been using with the Bartok? did you get a chance to compare the headphone outputs between the DAVE and the Bartok?

I’ve been alternating between; Fitear 335 Custom IEMs via the DAC’s built-in Amp unbalanced front-panel RCA jacks on both Dave and Bartok, and Stax SR-009BK (good spotting Audio :P) via rear XLRs/external ‘stat Amp. The one other on-ear headphones I did try briefly was a friend’s Focal Utopia, which I absolutely did not like with Bartok. Haven't tried any balanced headphones yet with Bartok’s balanced front-panel headphone socket (wouldn’t be able to compare to Dave’s RCA only output anyway).

As I mentioned before, both DAC’s Amp are spec’ed identically, “1.4W RMS into 33Ω”. But at 0dB, Dave’s actual measured output is 30% lower (see: Stereophile’s Dave measurements, Paragraph 2). So at fullscale into 33Ω, instead of 1.4W, you’d actually get something under 1W. Bartok does sound like it’s outputting more power when I push the levels up and there’s no compression. I haven’t actually measured it myself, but HiFiNews has, measuring as much as 1.715W into 25Ω (that’d be about 1.3W into 33Ω, slightly less than spec'ed).

I’m assuming the local dCS dealer has a Bartok on demo, you should bring your cans along and give it a spin!  ;)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.