Author Topic: A good Printer  (Read 1929 times)

Offline ysl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
A good Printer
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:40 »
For anyone looking for a good home use printer, this may be worth your while.

Had a few printers over the years, they were problematic, unreliable, and the ink itself cost more than if I were to take a taxi to the nearest printer each and every time I need to print at home.

Chance upon the Epson L series smart ink. Full set of ink cost $39.90, said to print up to a maximum of 4,000 pages. Too good to be true, I thought. The average other make black ink itself cost about $25-$30 prints up to 250 pages, at its best.

When my previous printer broke down, I took the opportunity to get the Epson.

Long story short, 5-6 months later, after printing at least 350 pages, the full set of ink cartridges are at 70% mark, i.e. 70% left.

Apart from some wireless connection problems, the printer is the best I've had since using a home printer.

One thing about printers, is that you need to do a print every 2-3 weeks. Otherwise the print head will dry up and it will cost.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:43 by ysl »

Offline akdwivedi

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: A good Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 20:29 »
thats a good buy. my hp 7520 uses 4 cartridges and each costs 29.90.

Offline louco73

• Louco73's Place on the Internet
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20 »
Re the print head problem, go laser and never look back :).
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:19 »
Re the print head problem, go laser and never look back :).
Yea I also gave up inkjet printer for laser printer quite some time ago. Heavier initial investment but no headache to keep on changing the ink (which can be expensive) and spoiled head.
Maybe ink technology has changed but I don't regret to change to laser printer.

Offline kzone

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31 »
yeah, surprised inkjet is still being considered especially if u mainly print text.

Offline Epicure2

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39 »
I was wondering whether it is possible to mod my printer so that it can only print in black ink without putting in the colour ink cartridge.  Any comment is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:03 »
Yea I also gave up inkjet printer for laser printer quite some time ago. Heavier initial investment but no headache to keep on changing the ink (which can be expensive) and spoiled head.
Maybe ink technology has changed but I don't regret to change to laser printer.

Should analysis what we print most of the time, for me 99.9% black & white so naturally go laser. Cheaper , faster crispier and no worries about ink drying up

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:11 »
clogged print heads can be cleaned up easily by running it under warm water, many youtube videos out there. my wife prints fairly frequently our oem ink doesn't dry up but once in 6 months i have to wash the print head manually.

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:19 »
If you need good colour pix quality, ink jet is the printer to get.  However, if you are mostly printing black and white like what I do these days printing assessment papers and school documents, a laser printer will save a lot of $$$ and headache in the long term.  I moved from a Canon inkjet printer to a Brother 9330CDW laser and after about 1 yr of printing, still have not run out of ink. 
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline ysl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 19:25 »
Thank you fellas who contributed.
I took the advice for laser printers, and a tip from someone who needs home printing almost daily, I bought a black only, and a colour printer.

Did some finding out and went with a Brother DCP1610W, and a HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw.

The Brother 933 colour laser annapura mentioned is very well reviewed but just too big for my cabinet.

Been using them for coming 2 years now. They are good for the money.

The toner that came with them provided me more than 1,100 pages. I use the toner-save or economic toner feature 75% of the time. Pretty happy with it given that they are said to last 500-700 pages.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 19:59 by ysl »

Offline KopiOkaya

• Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 20:43 »
I got myself a Xerox laser printer 15 years ago and never look back. Before that I was using top-of-the-line Epson A3 photo printers but they were so prone to clogs, it was frustrating. I was doing photography then so I needed A3 prints. Now if I need A3 photo prints, I just send the files to a professional printing service. It is much cheaper and less headaches.

Throughout the years, I have used Xerox, HP, Brother and Canon laser printers. For me, Canon printers give the best mileage and print quality.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:02 by KopiOkaya »
Cable termination and repair services for a reasonable fee. Whatsapp Larry at 98805223.