Author Topic: Roon + Qobuz Hi-Res lossless streaming is finally here!  (Read 1970 times)

Offline MusicEar

• Trade Count: (0)
Nice to see Roon has added Qobuz in version 1.6.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/roon-16-with-qobuz-integration-and-more-r773/

https://darko.audio/2019/01/roon-v1-6-qobuz-tidal-pandora-for-lossless-lovers/

I also subscribed to Tidal Master (MQA) and intital comparison with Qobuz 24/192k, the later one is more beautifully portrayed; 'Come Fly With Me' her voice and the background music instruments is clearly defined 'space' and have a upper 'air' to it. I could say Roon + Qobuz has finally deliver an adulterated studio recordings all the way to your listening rooms. Listening is simply believing!

Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | Auralic Aries G1 | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS | I.AMP.D linear power supply for NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Lightning DS and Roon Core

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
Re: Roon + Qobuz Hi-Res lossless streaming is finally here!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:57 »
Hi. I am thinking of going this way for music playback. May I know how does the sound quality compare to red book cd ? Also what is the original source of these music providers? We’re they provided with original digital master tapes as the source or they just simply ripped them from aftermarket sources ?

Offline MusicEar

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 14:54 »
Hi. I am thinking of going this way for music playback. May I know how does the sound quality compare to red book cd ? Also what is the original source of these music providers? We’re they provided with original digital master tapes as the source or they just simply ripped them from aftermarket sources ?

The streaming service providers get Redbook 16/44.1k as well 24/192k copies from the music labels. For what I know, 24/192k are direct copies from the masters and Redbook is simply down-sampled and sampled rate to 44.1k. For MQA, 24/192k master copies are sent to MQA Ltd for encoding to 24/48k. This is then decoded back to 24/96k and rendered to 24/192k provided you have a MQA DAC.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 14:58 by MusicEar »
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | Auralic Aries G1 | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS | I.AMP.D linear power supply for NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Lightning DS and Roon Core

Offline toots

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21 »
How do you subscribe to Qobuz. It is not available in Singapore.

Do you use VPN to first subscribe? I have no experience with VPN so how do I go about it?

Thanks.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:44 »
Not only that, they expect me to pay them 299 British pound per year of subscription?

I think I stick with Tidal....US$18 per month, Hi Fi streaming...

(Audio)

Offline SteinigerGE

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 23:04 »
How do you subscribe to Qobuz. It is not available in Singapore.

Do you use VPN to first subscribe? I have no experience with VPN so how do I go about it?

Thanks.

Yes, you need a VPN.  Once you subscribe, you don’t need the VPN anymore, you can use Quboz from anywhere.  If you don’t have a VPN, find a friend who does and sign up from their house.  After that, you can use Quboz from anywhere.

Online AndrewC

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:51 »
Not only that, they expect me to pay them 299 British pound per year of subscription?

I think I stick with Tidal....US$18 per month, Hi Fi streaming...

(Audio)

Come now Audio, that’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.

The £299.99 a year subscription plan on Qobuz is their premium streaming service with which you get both full high-resolution uncompressed streaming, as well as discounted high-res downloads (actual downloads, not just “off-line” cached content).

Tidal has no such service. The Tidal premium equivalent service on Qobuz (minus MQA) is £19.99, not that much more than Tidal. Or £24.99 with which you get full uncompressed high-res streaming.

And by the way, though I haven’t tried to track-down why yet, Redbook content on Qobuz sounds audibly better than the exact same album on Tidal! It’s especially pronounced via Qobuz’ native application, but easily audible via Roon as well.

Give it a try before you knock it.

Here’s your favourite album streaming into my system in full 96/24 UNCOMPRESSED :)

You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:03 »
hoping to give this a spin when the closed beta is over  :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 11:40 »
Come now Audio, that’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Agreed, AndrewC.

The £299.99 a year subscription plan on Qobuz is their premium streaming service with which you get both full high-resolution uncompressed streaming, as well as discounted high-res downloads (actual downloads, not just “off-line” cached content).

Tidal has no such service. The Tidal premium equivalent service on Qobuz (minus MQA) is £19.99, not that much more than Tidal. Or £24.99 with which you get full uncompressed high-res streaming.
Let face it.  Tidal is not Qobuz and Qobuz is not Tidal.  But Qobuz is definitely MORE expensive than Tidal.  The "discounted hi-res purchase" are still hi-res purchase....you don't get them free.  Base on price alone, I go with Tidal.   I have search Pop songs, Maroon 5, Nikki Minaj, Aviana Grande's "The Light is Coming"...I can't find it on Qobuz.  So, why I bother?

And I accidentally discovered I can download while I am listening to Tidal.   I was taking a flight with the plane taxing and left my phone on, listening to Tidal.  I was surprised when I was airborne, the music didn't stop.   I now have 6 pages of "My Mix" playlists stored onto my phone, playable even when I am offline.

And by the way, though I haven’t tried to track-down why yet, Redbook content on Qobuz sounds audibly better than the exact same album on Tidal! It’s especially pronounced via Qobuz’ native application, but easily audible via Roon as well.

Give it a try before you knock it.
I am not going to pay for 2 streaming subscriptions.  I will go for the one-month trial soon but right now, I am not excited about Qobuz.

Here’s your favourite album streaming into my system in full 96/24 UNCOMPRESSED :)

Streaming remains streaming to me.    It's portable listening.

If you are serious, you made solid purchase of the albums....Tidal / Qobuz remains a portable streaming "try before you buy" thingy.

(Audio)

Online AndrewC

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 14:52 »
And I accidentally discovered I can download while I am listening to Tidal.   I was taking a flight with the plane taxing and left my phone on, listening to Tidal.  I was surprised when I was airborne, the music didn't stop.   I now have 6 pages of "My Mix" playlists stored onto my phone, playable even when I am offline.[/b]

Errm… Tidal has had download capability (cached for offline listening) from the very beginning. Not just what you’re listening to at the moment, but you can toggle the “Download” switch (under the [Play] and [Shuffle] buttons) of any album any time and it will be cached under offline (or online) mode all the time.

I am not going to pay for 2 streaming subscriptions.  I will go for the one-month trial soon but right now, I am not excited about Qobuz.
Streaming remains streaming to me.    It's portable listening.

Give streaming at home a chance... it's getting better and better. With Qobuz, very close to direct file/disc. Especially for someone who is bothered about super high-end server, and fibre connection, you’d want to get the best of the best as much as possible ;)

If you are serious, you made solid purchase of the albums....Tidal / Qobuz remains a portable streaming "try before you buy" thingy.
(Audio)

I think you’re missing one key point about Qobuz, they have a download service exactly like HDTracks - it’s a perpetual licence, not a temporary one like with Tidal or Spotify. In other words, with a Qobuz subscription, you can Stream (like Spotify or Tidal, but full CD and High-Res), AND you can purchase downloads (just like you can with HDTracks). One subscription, multi-service, no need to flip/flop all over the place.

As far as content availability is concerned, Qobuz can’t beat Spotify (where SQ sucks). Tidal has better SQ, but no proper high-res. Qobuz has the best SQ, but album selection is limited (for now). I’m subscribed to all 3 because each servers a purpose (for me), and the total Cost is only about the same as buying a couple of CDs a month. I have no doubt you can afford that.  ;)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 15:57 »
OK, let me do the one-month trial on Qobuz and see how it goes.....

(Audio)

Offline ryanchong

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 15:58 »
I try to sign up but keep getting pop up that I need to be invited. How's do we sign up?

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 16:36 »
Sign up in europe or UK then can do with VPN ... No Qobuz available yet (beta only) in usa/canada

Try Epic browser https://www.epicbrowser.com
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ryanchong

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 18:47 »
Thanks u are a great help. Got it!

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 20:49 »
Thanks u are a great help. Got it!

Let me know if it works...I might try it too :P
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.