Author Topic: John Wick: Chapter 3  (Read 5874 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
John Wick: Chapter 3
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:41 »
Visuals are still stunning :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M7XM597XO94&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M7XM597XO94&fs=1</a>
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

Re: John Wick: Chapter 3
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:41 »
And that music.

Don Quixote!
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:03 »
Nice! Looking forward to this one !

Offline Pismo Mac

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 08:33 »
Wow! Probably a higher body count too. I hope he will demonstrate new killing techniques. Chapter 2 had some repetitive ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 15:36 »
The dogs were the true stars of this movie. They stole every scene they were in. 😉
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 18:36 »
This episode is sooooo excited! Will rewatch soon.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 21:37 »
Watched it the other day in my new favourite Atmos cinema.

Without giving anything away - this is a far better movie than JW2.

The action sequences are incredibly well choreographed. Makes JW1 look almost amateurish.

The plot wasn't as good as 1 - just enough to string along the various set pieces... but again better than 2.

The action scenes were sooo good that you couldn't help but just cheer him on..

Spoiler: show

a. while the action sequences in JW1 weren't as crazy OTT, they were far more grounded.. JW used more smarts in 1. In 3, it was more fantastic but less dependent on him using his brains.

b. the final boss Mark Dacascos wasn't much of a fight. His henchman fought way better.

c. don't like the twist for the sake of twist at the end.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 22:29 »
Haha...John Wick 4 is definitely coming...I wonder what will be the title this time? :)

Since we know John Wick and the King is gonna take down the high table...I guess the title will have some direct theme relating to the high table and the elders...

Keanu Reeves is really good at this type of movies...less talk, more action...LoL.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 22:32 by desray »

Offline westendboy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18 »

After I saw a dude commit seppuku on himself just so he can use his spilling intestines to strangle a guy in Riki-Oh (1991), I thought I have seen every crazy thing in action movies; apparently not. I have not seen death by battering with a rare volume of an 18th-century Russian classic yet. Cue Movement 1 from Concerto No. 4 in F Minor “Winter” from Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons”; let the baroque mayhem begin and the body count escalate.

John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is on the run for two reasons – he’s being hunted for a global $14 million dollar open contract on his life, and for breaking a central rule: taking a life on Continental Hotel grounds. The victim was a member of the High Table who ordered the open contract. John should have already been executed, except the Continental’s manager, Winston (Ian McShane), has given him a one-hour grace period before he’s ‘Excommunicado’ – membership revoked, banned from all services and cut off from other members. John uses the service industry to stay alive as he fights and kills his way out of New York City.

In anticipation of John Wick: Chapter 3, we saw Chapters 1 and 2 again and it was a blast. The Atmos sound mix is a killer. The story of the first is simple – a man with a particular set of skills goes on a revenge-filled rampage because even badder guys have killed his dog and stolen his car. The second builds on the mythology and Wick has to honour a marker and does what he does best, but this time there are serious repercussions. These are 80s-style action stylised for an entire new generation of viewers weaned on an urban sheen and Asian martial arts. Both are shots of pure adrenaline in the arm of the seen-them-all Hollywood action genre. Unfortunately, while watching this latest instalment, Smashing Pumpkins’ The Beginning is the End is the Beginning played in my consciousness. Bloat has set in in this third iteration, but thankfully decomposition is still far from it.

In my humble opinion, this is the weakest chapter in the franchise because it has a lack of story and purpose. Wick here goes from point A to B without much smarts and he feels more like a tool being used by different parties. If Chapter 1 and 2 have a sense of grounded-ness, this third entry has Wick in God mode. Mayhem without emotional stakes doesn’t really do it for me. But if one sees this as a pure action movie, then the third time is the charm. This one ups the ante in all sorts of ways; there are action sequences I have never seen before, let alone dreamt about.

The action favours visuals and sleekness; it retains its Buster Keaton-esque physical comedy with a consistently stoic, deadpan expression plastered on Reeve’s face. It is darkly funny; a fight scene in an old weapons shop had me giggling away as Wick drops the umpteenth Chinese dude and I only stopped laughing when he punctures an eyeball with the sharp point of a knife. It was only then I realised I was watching a uber-violent movie. Maybe I wasn’t meant to be laughing but who cares. The action scenes are deliriously over-the-top and they are super-duper fun.

Chapter 3 expands the Wickiverse and mythology with an adjudicator from the High Table played by Asia Kate Dillon with the same stylings as her role in Billions. We are introduced to Wick’s mysterious past with Anjelica Huston and Halle Berry’s roles. We are also graced with a cruelly forgotten 1990s martial arts actor Mark “Crying Freeman” Dacascos as Zero. Oh… we also got a couple of samurai dogs. There is another dog movie doing its rounds at the cinemas, but trust me, John Wick: Chapter 3 is the better dog movie.

This latest entry into the franchise does make some other mistakes in that Stahelski refuses to shave a runtime of 2h 10min with a few action sequences almost hitting repetitive mode, and an ending that screams Chapter 4 in your face. But in terms of blood and sweat this one is unreal. The stunt work is magnificent. Going forward, I have no idea what Stahelski and Reeves can come up with, but I am willing to bet my bottom dollar they are going to push the envelope even further with the next one.

4 / 5
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44 »
For those who have seen ep.1 and 2,
or those who have not seen... here's a summary of the plots in Jippun Comic style...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTPQ9SZXno4&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oTPQ9SZXno4&fs=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQCbJYsXI-8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MQCbJYsXI-8&fs=1</a>

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 13:12 »
The dogs in the movie were Belgian Malinois and not German Shepherds as some reviewers said.
They really are very fast and agile dogs in real life and are used as police dogs and protection dogs.
The dog in the movie really did jump up to the second storey from the ground level to take out one of the bad guys.
Just look at how fast they can move in this video clip.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=308266509845439
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 23:58 »
Only just caught this... thoroughly disappointed. Pretty pathetic showing with absurd scenarios. :-\

Desert trek? Seriously??  ::)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.