Author Topic: Storm audio  (Read 4861 times)

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
Storm audio
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:00 »
New owner reporting ! Mine is the 16 channel processor.

To quote most impressions from bros who heard this , "onkyo with refinement". Well suited for onkyo lovers who prefer punchy dynamic sound with authority. Thats what you get with storm audio.

Initial impressions, big step up from my onkyo processor. Clarity, floor noise, immersiveness, energy all lifted up few notch.

Some pictures to follow . Sorry no unboxing video :)

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk

Online sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Storm audio
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15 »
Well said . To sum up , storm = onkyo turbo version and lyngdorf = denon turbo version . another level up . so choose your posion ☠️

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 20:58 »
Congrats!

Offline ralfale

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 17:46 »
Looking forward to the impressions with MK sound!

http://www.ravepubs.com/preview-stormaudios-ise-2019-exhibits/

Two Home Theater Demonstrations
Throughout the ISE event StormAudio will be conducting two separate home theater demos. The first is with Alcons Audio, where the two companies will replicate the active 9.1.6 set-up that won AVS Forum’s 2018 CEDIA Expo Best of Show award. Taking place in Hall 6-H150, this features StormAudio’s 32-channel Digital AES Edition processor and an Alcons pro-ribbon loudspeaker system.

The second demo is with M&K Sound, which takes place nearby the exhibit hall in historic Amsterdam. This is a 9.1.4 setup featuring StormAudio’s 20-channel processor. Information on how to attend the demo can be obtained at StormAudio’s stand (5-U59).

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 13:31 »
Looking forward to the impressions with MK sound!

http://www.ravepubs.com/preview-stormaudios-ise-2019-exhibits/

Two Home Theater Demonstrations
Throughout the ISE event StormAudio will be conducting two separate home theater demos. The first is with Alcons Audio, where the two companies will replicate the active 9.1.6 set-up that won AVS Forum’s 2018 CEDIA Expo Best of Show award. Taking place in Hall 6-H150, this features StormAudio’s 32-channel Digital AES Edition processor and an Alcons pro-ribbon loudspeaker system.

The second demo is with M&K Sound, which takes place nearby the exhibit hall in historic Amsterdam. This is a 9.1.4 setup featuring StormAudio’s 20-channel processor. Information on how to attend the demo can be obtained at StormAudio’s stand (5-U59).

Wah, thats nice. M&K pairing with Storm, looks awesome! im sure it wil be , too bad we are in Singapore, no chance to experience this

Offline lampsy86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 21:55 »
New owner reporting ! Mine is the 16 channel processor.

To quote most impressions from bros who heard this , "onkyo with refinement". Well suited for onkyo lovers who prefer punchy dynamic sound with authority. Thats what you get with storm audio.

Initial impressions, big step up from my onkyo processor. Clarity, floor noise, immersiveness, energy all lifted up few notch.

Some pictures to follow . Sorry no unboxing video :)

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk
DAMN !! This ticks all my boxes except 1...
13 or more channels processing
Full Dirac suite
Modular built for future upgrades/swaps
Budget

Enjoy your new toy !!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 13:28 »
Reviving this thread to see more alternative on the latest AV scene...

Bro Ralfale, care to share your thoughts on the performance of your StormAudio?

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 18:03 »
How is the Dirac update on storm ?

Are the storm processors getting any free upgrades to bass management modules with Dirac , or is this something that the users will need to pay ?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 20:45 »

Are the storm processors getting any free upgrades to bass management modules with Dirac , or is this something that the users will need to pay ?

Does StormAudio comes preloaded with Dirac Live right from the beginning?

Offline ralfale

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 14:37 »
Some highlights of my experiences so far.

Negative -
- Price is a major factor. This isn't cheap. Will be a major investment if one would be happy to go with it.
- No remote control. All ipad control. There is actually a IR module you can utilise to configure 3rd party remote. I didn't try that as i'm happy using Ipad to control both my media player and storm.
- Physical size is not appealing, and it's big. Ensure you have enough cabinet space to place it.

Positive -
- Huge sound improvement over my previous onkyo processor. On the same set of speakers, it brings the speakers alive. Much more analog sounding, much more dynamics and clarity.
- Dirac is a huge plus. For me, a huge difference btw dirac to audyssey, is how much it brings out the atmospheric effect, the ambiance, and forming the sonic bubble. It feels like the viewer is INSIDE the scene. Very seamless. Very immersive. Audyssey on the other hand sounds flat/dead sounding to me (i don't mean the target curve).
- Storm allows user to tweak and micro adjust the parameters after dirac eq performed and results saved. Noticed that this is not possible with some other dirac enabled avr.
- Very flexible configurations and settings. Basically you can do anything and everything you need with this baby. HPF, LPF, shelf, bell. For those who like to run your speakers full range, there is even an option to set speakers to LARGE with SUB (note this is not double bass, but what it does is to take into account the measured response of your speakers, and use the sub to complement the lower frequencies to achieve the target curve).
- Distance tweak to 3 decimal place accuracy, where most avr only allow 2 dec. Very good for time alignment adjustment.
- Firmware update is frequent with new enhancement.

I'll try to post more pics later with the settings. Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 14:46 by ralfale »

Offline ralfale

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 14:41 »

I didn't see new modules on this. I have not been updated with the latest firmware/software. Will install the latest firmware to try when they release IMAX enhanced.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 14:42 »
Does StormAudio comes preloaded with Dirac Live right from the beginning?

The current package comes with dirac live full version installed i believe.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 18:23 »
Nice...

storm audio’s Dirac live implementation is head and shoulders above other Dirac live capable AVRs, it looks the same, but it is not... it offers a lot of flexibility and control.

Whilst good for professional calibrators, may not be good for consumers as it is pretty complex and u need to know what u r doing. These type of packages normally comes bundled with calibration services, like the trinnovs

Mightily impressed with the controls available , tweakers paradise but deterrent factor is the pricing

Offline ralfale

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 20:31 »
Tweakers paradise :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 21:23 »
Looks like the full Dirac suite at play here... :)

Offline rayleh

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 23:15 »
The price must be beyond my reach.

Offline econav

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 23:41 »
The price must be beyond my reach.
Well , name me a price ......
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 07:15 »
I see that storm audio list Absolute Sound as the distributor for Singapore. @econav, are your storm audio units from them?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:20 by kaydee6 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 09:45 »
I see that storm audio list Absolute Sound as the distributor for Singapore. @econav, are your storm audio units from them?

This is gonna cost a bomb...I bet at least in the 5 digit number based on the specs I found.

https://www.stormaudio.com/en/products/av-immersive-sound-receivers/7816-iisp-3d1612-elite.html

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 09:48 »
it's in the mid SGD20k price range.

Offline whitesox

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 11:24 »
it's in the mid SGD20k price range.

wow...  :o
I would rather use my money for good speakers and/or subwoofer then buy Japanese flagship model (around $5k to $6k range)
The issue is whether the benefits justify the costs.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 13:11 »
5k is the max I can swallow for AVR based on my limited setup.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 13:49 »

Same same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 13:53 »
wow...  :o
I would rather use my money for good speakers and/or subwoofer then buy Japanese flagship model (around $5k to $6k range)
The issue is whether the benefits justify the costs.

It's all relative. $20 to $30k for a receiver is reasonable to some.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 13:57 »
I was told the RRP is SGD29k here. Street price could be lower :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 13:57 »
It’s not for the faint of heart imo. Furthermore, one needs to be proficient in the use of the Dirac suite to fully appreciate and get the best out of those “value” invested. If the user merely content to play with the basics and have no complete autonomy to take full advantage of such prowess, then I agreed with bro Whitesox, this is an overkill. But for more pro users, this is probably as good as a full fledged high end flagship (much like Trinnov) that money can possibly buy.

For me, I guess I will keep on dreaming.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 13:59 »
I was told the RRP is SGD29k here. Street price could be lower :)

If MSRP around $29K, then street price probably half of that and still considered very high for ordinary folks UNLESS of course we manage to get a second hand unit for less than $10K.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 14:02 »
If MSRP around $29K, then street price probably half of that and still considered very high for ordinary folks UNLESS of course we manage to get a second hand unit for less than $10K.

Half of that may be pushing it. I would think 22 to 24k? Hence, my question to econav is if their units are from Absolute Sound? What is  the support for breakdown and issues?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 14:04 »
Half of that may be pushing it. I would think 22 to 24k?

Haha. I’m being optimistic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 14:07 »
Any Bros here, besides Ralfale uses StromAudio? Care to comment on its performance and share your findings on the features and tweaks with everyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline econav

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 14:08 »
I can also get stock from Abs .
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 14:11 »
Well , you can have a set with full dirac to play with .......
all post

Offline econav

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 14:28 »
Hence, my question to econav is if their units are from Absolute Sound? What is  the support for breakdown and issues?
As i indicated > if we want, we can get stock from Abs and all support and repair are to handle by the local Agent and claim direct to Storm factory in France.
but we are not selling in the retail or any other , for system install by us carry a 24x7 standby service , which i dont think any retailer able to do that or understand the complexity of a comercial cineplex operation and a custom install for post production , as a processor as such is not just decode the audio( for home ) but also part of the integration and delivery chain for the audio/video.
to begain with ... you will see how we going to use a ISP -16 to control and manage more then 8 sub for demo in the coming KLAV .
all post

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 14:54 »
As i indicated > if we want, we can get stock from Abs and all support and repair are to handle by the local Agent and claim direct to Storm factory in France.
but we are not selling in the retail or any other , for system install by us carry a 24x7 standby service , which i dont think any retailer able to do that or understand the complexity of a comercial cineplex operation and a custom install for post production , as a processor as such is not just decode the audio( for home ) but also part of the integration and delivery chain for the audio/video.
to begain with ... you will see how we going to use a ISP -16 to control and manage more then 8 sub for demo in the coming KLAV .

When is the KLAV?

Online sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 15:07 »
From 26th to 28th July , Fri to Sun @ Hotel Vistana KL

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 15:52 »

Thanks. I'll be there.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2019, 16:39 »
Well , you can have a set with full dirac to play with .......

I will be going for audition once I find the time.

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2019, 20:02 »

Thanks. Might try to make a trip there also.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 16:56 by FookLai »

Offline ralfale

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 21:42 »
Klav has much more things to see than SG show. Plus so near 1 hour flight. Worth the visit !

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 23:12 »
Klav has much more things to see than SG show. Plus so near 1 hour flight. Worth the visit !

I have stopped going to the SG show. 

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25 »
I have stopped going to the SG show.

Kaydee u into an avr now ? Look for a Dirac capable one... trust me won’t go wrong. Dirac is doing everything right at the moment and we should see some nice improvements in bass management modules soon...

Also Dirac has taken note on timing aspects and blending of speakers with subs, something most avrs are not doing hence the manual route , I believe Dirac is catching up very fast, and trust me they will be right up there as one of the best room correction software

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2019, 16:20 »
Kaydee u into an avr now ? Look for a Dirac capable one... trust me won’t go wrong. Dirac is doing everything right at the moment and we should see some nice improvements in bass management modules soon...

Also Dirac has taken note on timing aspects and blending of speakers with subs, something most avrs are not doing hence the manual route , I believe Dirac is catching up very fast, and trust me they will be right up there as one of the best room correction software

Nice! I'm using the Denon 8500 with Audyssey but Dirac enabled AV processors/receivers always pique my interest.

Offline econav

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 03:43 »
look out , i may off load a set or two after the KLAV... interested pm me lor.
all post

Online Djblackfm

If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 07:31 »
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/stormaudio-develops-advanced-hdmi-card

Its always good to see manufacturers taking over the reins of supply chain to ensure quality of their products. :)

Offline ralfale

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2019, 17:44 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2019, 07:19 »
Detailed write up (in chinese)

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/7B5zviNjZTQQDTQtLdW0vw

It is extremely rare to find a good and detailed review on StormAudio stuff in the net. Thks for the link.

Offline econav

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 20:04 »
Here we go again .... Ready for the 11.11......

all post