Author Topic: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors  (Read 42700 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
Re: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2019, 20:49 »
The normal HDR colors look more natural though.... Might be the camera

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2019, 07:49 »
The normal HDR colors look more natural though.... Might be the camera

I’m using an iPhone XS Max to shoot and the image has been compressed to optimise for both loading and web viewing. Hence it is not the true representation of how good the HDR image looks. I will try to take some time later today to watch some 4K UHD titles to make some meaningful comparisons with and without the Frame Adapt HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2019, 13:48 »
@Jag - Still on the fence about it? Frankly I think it is a good time to upgrade your ageing Sony Projector to one of the new JVC N series now. I can safely say that it is the best all-rounder HT projector for 2019. Get back that killer blacks and contrast that you've been missing all these times.

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2019, 14:00 »
I've been waiting for soooooooo long that the newer 2020 models are just round the corner. My Sony 55ES is still my workhorse and I still have a BNIB lamp for it.

I'm wondering what JVC has for 2020.....
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2019, 14:55 »
I've been waiting for soooooooo long that the newer 2020 models are just round the corner. My Sony 55ES is still my workhorse and I still have a BNIB lamp for it.

I'm wondering what JVC has for 2020.....

Not sure...but definitely waiting for the laser hybrid to become more affordable in the mainstream market. Judging from the past few years - especially on the Optoma UHZ65 with laser light source and within the $6K range. We can expect a more affordable laser based native 4K projector within the next 2 yrs...maybe not next year at the CES in Jan/Feb 2020 but likely in the following year. Combine this "new" Dynamic tone Mapping feature that they called "Frame Adpative HDR" with a laser light source...the only challenge JVC will be facing going the laser route is to have the technical know-how on how to balance black levels and APL scenes...Laser slight source is no joke and especially hard to "tame" in low APL scenes...as it may inevitably raise the black floors which robs us of that "JVC" black levels.

We shall see...but STILL, laser light source for a true 4K native HT projector is still the way to watch HDR content. :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2019, 06:30 »
Watched the first few minutes of Thor Ragnorak which I perceive to have greater highlights and details but marred by the lack of static metadata for JVC projector to work wonders. As you see from the pic below. There is no MaxCLL and MaxFALL. Hence; there is no tone mapping been applied.

With Frame Adapt HDR (Off)

With Frame Adapt HDR (On)

With Frame Adapt HDR (On)

Without Frame Adapt HDR (Off)

Noticed the whole image becomes brighter with better skin tones and hues with Frame Adapt HDR feature turned on and set to High setting.

Pardon the soft iPhone images due to compression.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:39 by desray »

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2019, 12:07 »
hi guys, for those of you who are using the N7, with this latest firmware update, does it still make sense to pair the N7 with the Panasonic UHD players which have exclusive settings meant to make the N7 even better?

or does this latest N7 firmware update make the Panasonic UHD players' exclusive settings redundant?

i guess what I really want to know is if I should still seriously consider getting the Panasonic UHD player just to maximise the potential of the N7. i am currently using the Oppo 205 and I am eyeing the Panasonic UB9000.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2019, 12:15 »
hi guys, for those of you who are using the N7, with this latest firmware update, does it still make sense to pair the N7 with the Panasonic UHD players which have exclusive settings meant to make the N7 even better?

or does this latest N7 firmware update make the Panasonic UHD players' exclusive settings redundant?

i guess what I really want to know is if I should still seriously consider getting the Panasonic UHD player just to maximise the potential of the N7. i am currently using the Oppo 205 and I am eyeing the Panasonic UB9000.

No need to get the Panny anymore...

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2019, 12:36 »
No need to get the Panny anymore...

thanks man! :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: October 27, 2019, 12:40 »
thanks man! :)
I intend to sell my Panny UB-420 soon. But having say that, the Panny HQV chip is actually good for normal 1080p bluray content upscaling to 4K. So not all is lost if u decide to get the UB9000.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2019, 21:08 »

The JVC N7 is much heavier and thicker than the older model .

Base on what is the most possible size to slot between the Focal Stereo Speakers
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 17:57 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI / Natural White , Phantom Grey / Black Mambo II / (New Titanium Grey & Black Crystal )  increase contrast in different ambient condition .JKP HD calibration disc  / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2019, 07:40 »
Some members have been asking me whether Panasonic HDR Optimizer is still required for better HDR image on the new N series projector. My answer is no...you no longer need to get the expensive Panny player (UB9000) just to get that 350nits luminance profile to get the best image quality for your projector. The new Fram Adapt HDR feature in the latest JVC firmware does a far better job in reproducing a brighter and more vivid imagery compared to the HDR optimiser algorithm. The reason being the Frame Adapt HDR analyse the 4K images “dynamically” using scene by scene or frame by frame “adaptive” algorithm akin to Dolby Vision or HDR10+ “concept” even with or without static metadata (MaxCLL and MaxFALL). This is something Panny cannot do for some titles that does not come with static metadata. In short, it is a redundant feature now as far as I can tell based on my user experience.

Hope this clears up the perception for 2 camps if users. First for those in the fence on whether to buy the Panny players and for the existing Panny owners  on whether “double tone” mapping (by enabling the HDR Optimiser in the Panny) while using the Frame Adapt HDR feature yields a much more superior PQ.

Offline Count

« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2019, 13:09 »
Correct. I have a NX7 as well as a Panasonic 820. No need for HDR Optimizer as the JVC Frame Adapt function does a better job.

Offline zevth

« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2019, 20:14 »
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing the N5. Any idea what is the current price and/or where to purchase from? Please PM if we are not allowed to discuss prices here.

Offline Count

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2019, 09:20 »
Kris Deering reviews the JVC Dynamic Tone Mapping for Sound&Vision.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hands-jvc-s-dynamic-tone-mapping-update

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal