Author Topic: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors  (Read 26000 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2019, 07:42 »
https://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-dla-n7-rs2000-4k-dila-projector-review-first-look.15860

I agreed with all the observations and comments made by the reviewer, Steve for the N7. except for two things that stood out to me when he mentioned this:

"I watched the IMAX movie Journey to the South Pacific and the BBC's Planet Earth II, and in both cases the native 4K HDR sources were often stunning, with some of the best projected images that I've seen. Since these documentaries use a 1.78:1 aspect ratio, I turned the Mapping Level back to zero, but I needed to move it up when watching 2.35:1 content like Passengers or Ready Player One."

What's aspect ratio correlates to Mapping level for HDR content? I think I will need to check with the reviewer what he meant by that.

Another one is:

"There's also no dedicated 3D picture modes, which means you essentially have to create one. After a degree of experimentation I eventually had a custom 3D mode that I was happy with and, when watching 1.78:1 3D movies like Avatar, I found the images to be bright enough in the low lamp mode. I also loved the level of detail and the complete lack of any crosstalk.

When I watched a 2.35:1 3D movie like Ready Player One, I found I needed to use the high lamp mode for the best results. Thankfully, the high lamp mode is fairly quiet so it wasn't a big deal, and in all other respects I was happy with the results..."

The N7 in high lamp mode is "loud"...definitely not what I would call, "at a comfortable" audible range. My SPL meter registered a high of about 28 - 29db and that is loud for those who have a small room and not your projector is not ceiling mounted. I believed the reviewer has the projector ceiling mounted.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2019, 08:43 »
High lamp mode usually loud enough to be audible  for most cases. Most likely as you said its a case of ceiling mount or long throw away from mlp.

In the case of tone mapping, imho the limitations mentioned are all as intended by design. I believe we should see newer movies being released with proper metadata values for tone mapping to work. The madvr will be very interesting option. Anyone tried that with your htpc? Im looking forward to envy release, but i believe it will cost us a grand or more. Wont come cheap.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2019, 20:05 »
High lamp mode usually loud enough to be audible  for most cases. Most likely as you said its a case of ceiling mount or long throw away from mlp.

In the case of tone mapping, imho the limitations mentioned are all as intended by design. I believe we should see newer movies being released with proper metadata values for tone mapping to work. The madvr will be very interesting option. Anyone tried that with your htpc? Im looking forward to envy release, but i believe it will cost us a grand or more. Wont come cheap.

It’s good to be optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sypderman88

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2019, 12:14 »
Hi,

I have used madvr HTPC super high settings with the latest madvr auto tone map with X5900. Result is very good especially black and shadow level but there are some red color shift in bt2020 and lack of contrast pop I need to figure out. This is compared the 3 custom Avre curve I uploaded to the PJ.
 Thanks.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2019, 21:19 »
Hi,

I have used madvr HTPC super high settings with the latest madvr auto tone map with X5900. Result is very good especially black and shadow level but there are some red color shift in bt2020 and lack of contrast pop I need to figure out. This is compared the 3 custom Avre curve I uploaded to the PJ.
 Thanks.

That’s the colour profile (HDR or BT2020?) and using PQ curve?

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2019, 21:24 »
It’s good to be optimistic.

The video industry standards is a mess.
https://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-formats/4k-uhd-whatever-call-it

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2019, 21:26 »
The video industry standards is a mess.
https://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-formats/4k-uhd-whatever-call-it

Like I say...it’s “good” for anyone in the 4K HDR bandwagon at this moment to remain “calm and optimistic” even though it can be quite a mess. LoL

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2019, 20:33 »
Demo Session for the new JVC N7 native 4K Projector - 9 & 10 Mar

For those interested to see the new JVC N7 in action, I will be setting aside 3 hours to showcase this projector this Sat (9 Mar) and Sun (10 Mar) from 1pm to 3pm at my place. For those who want to see how the first JVC true 4K panel perform as compared to the previous X series, this is your chance to see the PQ for yourself and make up your own mind on whether it is worth the upgrade. I will be playing some 4K HDR footages as well as 1080p upscaling to 4K. Take note there is no e-Shift 4K at work here...

Take note though, I can only accommodate a max of 2 members for each session.

For those interested, drop me a pm. As always, I may cancel the session(s) if I'm engaged but rest assured that I will notify you beforehand

Take note, this is NOT a sales pitch for JVC as JVC didn't pay me a dime for this demo, it is purely a sharing session between home theater enthusiasts. For those interested, drop me a PM and I will get back to you.

9 Mar 19 (Sat) - Session completed.
- ginamos
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 22:57 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2019, 23:00 »
Demo Session for the new JVC N7 native 4K Projector - 15 & 16 Mar

For those interested to see the new JVC N7 in action, I will be setting aside 2 hours to showcase this projector this Fri evening (15 Mar) at 7.30pm to 9.30pm and Sat (16 Mar) from 1pm to 3pm at my place. For those who want to see how the first JVC true 4K panel perform as compared to the previous X series, this is your chance to see the PQ for yourself and make up your own mind on whether it is worth the upgrade. I will be playing some 4K HDR footages as well as 1080p upscaling to 4K. Take note there is no e-Shift 4K at work here...

Take note though, I can only accommodate a max of 2 members for each session.

For those interested, drop me a pm. As always, I may cancel the session(s) if I'm engaged but rest assured that I will notify you beforehand

Take note, this is NOT a sales pitch for JVC as JVC didn't pay me a dime for this demo, it is purely a sharing session between home theater enthusiasts. For those interested, drop me a PM and I will get back to you.

15 Mar 19 (Fri) - Session full - Completed!
- Alf
- badbad2000

I am cancelling the Sat (16 Mar 19) session for this week.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 22:38 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2019, 06:35 »
Finally a new firmware release for the N series projector. Version 2.01. My stock firmware comes with 1.19.

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

Those with Panny UDP-UB820/9000 will gonna love it as JVC added a new profile to optimise HDR image quality.

Damn. I think I may need to consider importing the Panny UB-820 Liao.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2019, 06:44 »
Going to be a busy day for me today. JVC also released a new AutoCal software update today version 2.00 to address some of the stability issue in relation to the primary colour calibration.

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000_calibrationsoft.html

Glad JVC is working on updates.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2019, 10:04 »

Insert the flash drive to the USB port behind the projector. Then fire up the projector to initiate the update.

From ver 1.19 to ver 2.01

Before

Updating in progress dialogue box

After

After update, see 2 more Color Profiles (High luminance and Low luminance) on Panasonic 4K UHD players been added.

An official statement from JVCKenwood regarding their 2 new custom tone mapping curve to suit the Panny 9000 players, applicable to 420 and 820 with HDR Optimizer feature.

Link: http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/jvc_panasonic.html

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:40 by desray »

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2019, 12:18 »
the poison is slowly creeping into my veins.  ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2019, 13:42 »
JVC definitely made firmware update a much easy chore than the previous models.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk