Author Topic: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors  (Read 42702 times)

Offline kaydee6

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2019, 18:14 »
Bro, I can't comment on that as I have not review Sony VW295ES. Again, it will be irresponsible of me to comment on other projectors, in this case Sony. Trust me, JVC projector ain't perfect either in certain areas when compared to Sony. But I will say this (based on my personal experience with Sony and JVC), if you are a serious movie buff and watch tons of movies, then JVC's hallmark black levels is second to none. But if you are looking for the "sharpest display" with near flawless motion interpolation, Sony is the BEST projector to get. JVC's Clear Motion Drive (or CMD) is nowhere near Sony's level. Sony also has the highest refresh rate for its SXRD panel and it is simply great for video content and playing high frame rate games like FPS genre. I'm not going to list down the pros and cons between the 2 brands, either one you get, you will not regret!

Blackest black need the blackest room.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2019, 18:57 »
Blackest black need the blackest room.

Not necessary. The JVC software has an Environment setting tweak which can help to compensate the ambient lights within your viewing space. But you are not wrong to say that for best results, a bat cave will always be preferred to showcase the best of JVC’s inky blacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2019, 23:35 »
Not necessary. The JVC software has an Environment setting tweak which can help to compensate the ambient lights within your viewing space. But you are not wrong to say that for best results, a bat cave will always be preferred to showcase the best of JVC’s inky blacks.

Hope it works on my ALR screen. Finger cross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2019, 23:50 »
Hope it works on my ALR screen. Finger cross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about it...it will work :)

Online Doggie Howser

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2019, 07:33 »
After having the former flagship JVC X series fauxK machine, I’m getting to the point where I no longer find black levels the be all and end all of picture quality.

In many respects I found the black levels and contrast levels of my older RS60 to be better. There is a need to boost brightness to get HDR to work properly and it comes at the expense of black levels. And once you do that, the technically better black levels on the JVC becomes less apparent.

The other realization I’ve had is that lumens aren’t necessarily the same. I’ve had the opportunity to experience the older Epson LS10500 and I have to say the colors and brightness on that machine felt more vivid and the brightness more impressive than its 1500 lumens would suggest. Ditto when switching from the 2000 lumens JVC X9500 to the Sony 760ES.

I think once you’ve experienced laser, it’s hard to go back. I think JVC needs to put a 2000-2500 lumens laser with the N7 to make a killer product.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12 »
After having the former flagship JVC X series fauxK machine, I’m getting to the point where I no longer find black levels the be all and end all of picture quality.

In many respects I found the black levels and contrast levels of my older RS60 to be better. There is a need to boost brightness to get HDR to work properly and it comes at the expense of black levels. And once you do that, the technically better black levels on the JVC becomes less apparent.

The other realization I’ve had is that lumens aren’t necessarily the same. I’ve had the opportunity to experience the older Epson LS10500 and I have to say the colors and brightness on that machine felt more vivid and the brightness more impressive than its 1500 lumens would suggest. Ditto when switching from the 2000 lumens JVC X9500 to the Sony 760ES.

I think once you’ve experienced laser, it’s hard to go back. I think JVC needs to put a 2000-2500 lumens laser with the N7 to make a killer product.

Agreed with your observation and assessment of JVC really need to put in a laser light source for their next models to get the best PQ for HDR content. And you pointed out a valid concern that there is a need to boost brightness for HDR at the expense of black levels etc which really kind of screw up the whole PQ etc. However this year, JVC introduced the tone mapping feature which in my opinion is the right step forward for the projector realm. It suppose to retain the hallmark of JVC black levels while analysing the overall brightness level required to display the details and highlights in each progressive scenes based on the Master Display Info metadata of the 4K HDR content. This is the current and only solution for low lumen output display like projector which utilise lamp based as its light source. But it is better than nothing to tide us over until the price of a laser based projector comes to a level which can be considered reasonable for mass market adoption.

Back to current context...while I am not going to pretend that JVC N series 1,800 to 2,200 lumens using a lamp based module is bright enough to “wow” everyone over a long period of usage since brightness will decrease over time. But I have to admit that my last JVC projector, the X7000B which utilise the same bulb model that exist in the N series did remarkably well when it comes to light depreciation (drop) after 1,000hrs of usage. It remains pretty consistent and some members from other reputable HT forums attested to a drop in light output of only around 15% - 20% range after nearly 2,000hrs of usage which in my opinion is a very respectable numbers.

As always, I am still looking out for a laser based projector in the near future. But now, the N7 serves me well.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:14 by desray »

Online Doggie Howser

« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58 »
As always, I am still looking out for a laser based projector in the near future. But now, the N7 serves me well.

you got the n7?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2019, 11:28 »
Wouldn't high native contrast ratio be the holy grail spec that would satisfy the namesake of HDR (High Dynamic Range)?

High brightness and suffer from poor black levels. Low brightness and suffer from lack of image vibrancy.

Like Desray, at the current state of technology, laser might be the most promising illumination at the moment for HDR.

How do movie theaters do their HDR?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2019, 12:13 »
Wouldn't high native contrast ratio be the holy grail spec that would satisfy the namesake of HDR (High Dynamic Range)?

High brightness and suffer from poor black levels. Low brightness and suffer from lack of image vibrancy.

Like Desray, at the current state of technology, laser might be the most promising illumination at the moment for HDR.

Not even sure there is even one in Singapore...if there is, I guess the first projector brand pops in my mind is the revered Christie Projector used in Dolby and IMAX cinema chains.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23 »

Let's not forget to put bit depth -e.g. 10bit (for normal HDR) and 12bit (Dolby Vision) in the equation as well. 3 things will determine whether HDR is well implemented or not - Native CR, color gamut profile used (BT.2020) & the bit depth. All 3 must work in tandem to deliver good HDR PQ. Of course, all of which is still DEPENDENT on one factor (make or break) - brightness - which derives from the light source - Laser is still the preferred source but projector manufacturers needs to know how to harness those extra lumens effectively so that SDR and HDR will look at it best.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2019, 12:33 »

Samsung Cinema LED. saw it personally, black is pure black and brightness is 10 times of standard cinema @ 500nits peak.
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerators, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens With Powered Sled, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Reference 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp, Topping D90 (AK4499)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37 »
Samsung Cinema LED. saw it personally, black is pure black and brightness is 10 times of standard cinema @ 500nits peak.

Where can I see it? In S.Korea I suppose?

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2019, 12:50 »
Where can I see it? In S.Korea I suppose?

watched a few shows in Bangkok. their cinemas are way better equipped than ours.
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerators, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens With Powered Sled, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Reference 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp, Topping D90 (AK4499)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51 »
watched a few shows in Bangkok. their cinemas are way better equipped than ours.

I see...thanks for sharing.

Offline Poppie

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2019, 20:02 »
That's correct! This is ALL members need to know...there is simply no need for anyone to be concerned about dealership and JVC related issues. Just know that Econ AV is an authorised loca dealer for the new JVC N series projectors. As such, I urge members cast aside any negativity and continue to support Econ AV and please do place your order with them as there is absolutely no denying that they do offer the "best deal in town" right now -i.e. 2 yrs local support warranty by JVC Singapore. I did not, so I will have to live with my regrets. But life goes on...

You are very magnanimous and the bigger man. We are very lucky to have you as our forum moderator. I will miss your review of the NX7 though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal