Author Topic: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors  (Read 20717 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2019, 13:54 »
v2.08

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

Ha...u beat me to it...I was about to post this new firmware :)

Too bad the changelog is as good as none...hope it can fix the 4:4:4 signal sent as 4:2:2 issue.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 14:01 by desray »

Offline Djblackfm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2019, 07:45 »
Found this on Facebook. Sharing it here. Hope it helps.

JVC Projector Firmware Update

Delivers Significantly Upgraded HDR Performance
New Frame Adapt HDR analyzes HDR10 content frame by frame
and automatically optimizes brightness.
LONG BEACH, Calif, September 5, 2019 – Underscoring its commitment to offer the best possible home theater experience, JVC today announced a firmware update for its line of Native 4K D-ILA projectors that delivers a significant advancement in HDR performance.

This feature forward update adds JVC’s new Frame Adapt HDR function, which dynamically analyzes HDR10 picture level frame by frame and automatically adjusts the brightness & color to optimize HDR performance for each frame.
Because content brightness varies, a fixed setting cannot deliver optimum image quality. JVC’s new Frame Adapt HDR solves this by instantly analyzing the peak brightness of each frame or scene using a proprietary JVC algorithm, and adjusting dynamic range to provide the best possible HDR image. Frame Adapt HDR works with any HDR10 content, even content that does not contain brightness metadata (Max CLL/Max FALL).
Main Features
Delivers images closer to reality

Compatible with all HDR10 content

Smooth gradation with 18-bit level gamma accuracy

Support for 16x9 content when using a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens (adds Anamorphic D). It is now possible to leave a Paladin DCR lens in position and view both ultra-wide and 16x9 content correctly.

Auto Calibration support for Spyder X sensor.

Adds new presets to screen adjustment function.

Dynamic range is adjusted in real time for optimal image projection. At the same time, saturation, hue, and brightness is analyzed and optimal corrections are made, which reduces color loss.
As a result, even within a single program, darker scenes have deeper blacks with enhanced color. Bright scenes have higher peak brightness without color loss while maintaining black level. All content is reproduced closer to what the human eye is capable of seeing.
Frame Adapt HDR adjustments are based on analysis of the input HDR10 signal. Therefore, it is effective on content with or without mastering information. As a result, all HDR10 content can be enjoyed with greater dynamic range and image quality than ever before.
The gamma processing accuracy, which in the past was based on 12-bit equivalent, has been improved to 18-bit and as a result gradation performance is dramatically improved. In any given scene, it reduces the banding effect in the bright portions and the crushing of dark portions. This provides accurate, smooth gradation along with higher average peak level brightness and increased color saturation, which has previously been a challenge with HDR content.
Other Improvements

The firmware will be available for download at no charge in October for the DLA-NX9, DLA-NX7 and DLA-NX5 as well as the DLA-RS3000, DLA-RS2000 and DLA-RS1000.

Link for download: https://www3.jvckenwood.com/projector/support/dla-v9r_v7_v5_update/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.

Offline Count

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2019, 12:47 »
Dynamic tone mapping? That’s a potential game changer for those of us that can’t afford a Lumagen pro. Kudos to JVC for introducing this killer feature in their update!

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2019, 13:15 »
This feature alone is worth a lot! Jvc is really leading the pack.

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2019, 16:23 »
Anyone use the autocal? Can i use i1pro2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2019, 17:15 »
The new upcoming firmware (due to be released in Oct) will indeed be a game-changer...Yes, I'm talking about the "Frame Adapt HDR" feature which supposedly analyzes HDR-10 static metadata (MaxCLL & MaxFALL) dynamically and auto-adjust the brightness (specular highlights) & color (WCG) to optimize HDR performance for each frame! I'm looking forward to see how it will improve the overall HDR PQ when compared to the use of MadVR, Panasonic's HDR Optimiser, and the likes...I read that for those w/o or with wrong static metadata can also benefit from this new "Frame Adapt HDR" feature.

Other Improvements that caught my attention include:

+ The increase in gamma gradation from "12-bit to 18-bit" which frankly I'm clueless as to how they manage this engineering feat, to begin with. Anyhow if this holds true, that will mean a drastic reduction in banding for APL scenes, particularly in those overcast and bright scenes.

+ the new support for Sypder Pro X sensor which is meant for the laser-based projection system. This is good news for RS4500 users.

Source: https://hometheaterreview.com/jvc-upgrades-hdr-performance-with-new-projector-firmware/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 17:18 by desray »

Offline ralfale

« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27 »
First look !

Direct translation  ;D

This has left a tremendous impression in the literal sense of many different sequences of "Aquaman" and film sequences made in Sicily, perfectly reproducing the HDR effect with the finest contrast nuances, as well as a very natural, dynamic image. The picture never seems too bright or too dark, always the balance is almost optimal. Even in complex scenes, such as when Aquman dives underwater into a cave, an extremely good differentiation ability is offered. The smallest brightness differences come out aptly, which leads to the fact that the viewer thinks in the middle of the action. Even with very bright images or strongly contrasting content, the DLA-N7 with its enabled Frame Adapt HDR always looks confident and conveys a very realistic image impression.

What made this "Frame Adapt HDR" develop?

HDR video is now available on many UHD Blu-rays and streaming services. However, some of the productions differ considerably in their brightness, some content seems too bright, others too dark. JVC therefore provided early on several workarounds for the most consistent representation of HDR content in projection, ranging from manual gamma adjustment for fine adjustment of brightness to "auto tone mapping", which automatically adjusts the brightness setting adapts the mastering information contained in the video (MaxCLL / FALL).

However, the Frame Adapt HDR feature included in the new firmware takes a significant step forward by using an algorithm developed by JVC to analyze each frame of the HDR10 content in terms of maximum brightness in real time and adjust the dynamic range for optimal image projection accordingly.

At the same time, the saturation, hue and brightness of the video data are inspected and also corrected in such a way that as few color losses as possible occur. As a result, even with the same content, darker scenes have deeper blacks and light scenes have higher maximum brightness without losing color. The reproduced images thus correspond much more to the human visual perception, which could not be realized in this way with previous projector technology.

Since the "Frame Adapt HDR" function makes adjustments based on the analyzed HDR10 input signals, not only will video data with built-in mastering information be corrected, but all other HDR10 content as well. The projection of the videos takes place in such a dynamic and high-quality quality as you have never seen before.

The new firmware also allows extremely fine brightness gradation with 18-bit accuracy. Instead of the hitherto customary color depths of 10 or 12 bits, brightness gradations with an accuracy of 18 bits are possible here in the future, which corresponds to more than 262,000 representable levels per color. This guarantees an extremely precise and uniform reproduction of all color shades from the deepest black to the brightest white.

Other enhancements included in the upgrade: The image settings can be made via a redesigned, clearer interface. In addition, the anamorphic lenses of the DCR series will be supported by Panamorph for the 16: 9 mode. The new free firmware version 3.10 for the JVC DLA-NX9B, DLA-N7B and DLA-N5B / W projectors will be available from November 2019 and will be made available for download on the global JVC support website.

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-special-jvc-praesentiert-frame-adapt-hdr-mit-d-ila-projektor-dla-n7-im-referenz-kino-auf-der-ifa/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:37 by ralfale »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2019, 06:33 »
First look !

Direct translation  ;D

This has left a tremendous impression in the literal sense of many different sequences of "Aquaman" and film sequences made in Sicily, perfectly reproducing the HDR effect with the finest contrast nuances, as well as a very natural, dynamic image. The picture never seems too bright or too dark, always the balance is almost optimal. Even in complex scenes, such as when Aquman dives underwater into a cave, an extremely good differentiation ability is offered. The smallest brightness differences come out aptly, which leads to the fact that the viewer thinks in the middle of the action. Even with very bright images or strongly contrasting content, the DLA-N7 with its enabled Frame Adapt HDR always looks confident and conveys a very realistic image impression.

What made this "Frame Adapt HDR" develop?

HDR video is now available on many UHD Blu-rays and streaming services. However, some of the productions differ considerably in their brightness, some content seems too bright, others too dark. JVC therefore provided early on several workarounds for the most consistent representation of HDR content in projection, ranging from manual gamma adjustment for fine adjustment of brightness to "auto tone mapping", which automatically adjusts the brightness setting adapts the mastering information contained in the video (MaxCLL / FALL).

However, the Frame Adapt HDR feature included in the new firmware takes a significant step forward by using an algorithm developed by JVC to analyze each frame of the HDR10 content in terms of maximum brightness in real time and adjust the dynamic range for optimal image projection accordingly.

At the same time, the saturation, hue and brightness of the video data are inspected and also corrected in such a way that as few color losses as possible occur. As a result, even with the same content, darker scenes have deeper blacks and light scenes have higher maximum brightness without losing color. The reproduced images thus correspond much more to the human visual perception, which could not be realized in this way with previous projector technology.

Since the "Frame Adapt HDR" function makes adjustments based on the analyzed HDR10 input signals, not only will video data with built-in mastering information be corrected, but all other HDR10 content as well. The projection of the videos takes place in such a dynamic and high-quality quality as you have never seen before.

The new firmware also allows extremely fine brightness gradation with 18-bit accuracy. Instead of the hitherto customary color depths of 10 or 12 bits, brightness gradations with an accuracy of 18 bits are possible here in the future, which corresponds to more than 262,000 representable levels per color. This guarantees an extremely precise and uniform reproduction of all color shades from the deepest black to the brightest white.

Other enhancements included in the upgrade: The image settings can be made via a redesigned, clearer interface. In addition, the anamorphic lenses of the DCR series will be supported by Panamorph for the 16: 9 mode. The new free firmware version 3.10 for the JVC DLA-NX9B, DLA-N7B and DLA-N5B / W projectors will be available from November 2019 and will be made available for download on the global JVC support website.

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-special-jvc-praesentiert-frame-adapt-hdr-mit-d-ila-projektor-dla-n7-im-referenz-kino-auf-der-ifa/

Thanks for sharing this.  Definitely very positive outlook so far for this new Frame Adaptive HDR feature. I thought we are getting this new firmware next month but I guess JVC decides to delay the launch till Nov.

The “acid test” will be those notorious titles from Disney Marvel movies without proper metadata or the lack of. If this new feature can improve the overall HDR PQ without the need to use custom curve etc, then this is gonna be a real gem for me.

Eagerly looking to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:40 by desray »

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2019, 14:59 »
The madvr will be very interesting option. Anyone tried that with your htpc? Im looking forward to envy release, but i believe it will cost us a grand or more. Wont come cheap.

Some early indications show there will be a base model and a pro model for MadVR envy.

Initial estimates put the base model MSRP price to be US$5,499. Pro model to be US$9,979.

Converted to SGD, you might be able to buy a HTPC AND a 4K pj and still have loose change after that.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2019, 20:11 »
Some early indications show there will be a base model and a pro model for MadVR envy.

Initial estimates put the base model MSRP price to be US$5,499. Pro model to be US$9,979.

Converted to SGD, you might be able to buy a HTPC AND a 4K pj and still have loose change after that.

Adopt the wait-and-see approach at this point...JVC new firmware may be a good trade-off combined with Penny HDR Optimizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ralfale

« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2019, 21:49 »
Dont know how to spend 5.5k usd on a video optimiser ...

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2019, 23:02 »

Already at 5.5k usd, bite the bullet and go for the pro at 10k usd.

Offline Count

« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2019, 07:25 »
Adopt the wait-and-see approach at this point...JVC new firmware may be a good trade-off combined with Penny HDR Optimizer.

Agree. I’m sure the MadVR Envy will be better than JVC DTM, but the latter will be coming free with all JVC NX series projectors. That’s great value and may be better off just buying a projector outright.

Offline Count

« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2019, 15:25 »
Update from AVSforum user on the JVC demo at Cedia:

Cedia update from just a regular user

So let me just say CEDIA was as a whole Mehhh. Meaning nothing really blew me away. Some things were good but nothing amazing.

The JVC Demo was with the RS3000 and goodness gracious it would be nice if they calibrated it better......

The DLP was not impressive to me at all.

DTM actually I think will be great for 90% of the people. There was standing room only for the demo I was in. You can tell the difference (they did a A/B comparison) and it did enhance the picture. It is not MadVR quality however It was better than the panni and JVC settings. The Panni guy was there and he said the new DTM will work well with the players. You will have the option of having firmware w/o DTM if you need pin cushion.

Again, I am not sure yet if I would spend 5K or 10K to get 10% better HDR if that is the case. You will like it if the demo holds true to what I saw. But they did do it with an animated movie and I would like to have seen it with some real people to see what it looks like.

They did say the release date for the new firmware is a soft date but end of October.

See the picture of the menu for DTM. They did not go through all the setting but it does look like there are some options.

RS3000 let me say, I will keep my RS2000 with the DCR lens. It was good however it did not blow me away for the extra cost.

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2019, 15:46 »
had a chance to see the N7 in action 2 days ago and I was very impressed. for those of you guys who are using the N7, would it be advisable to ceiling mount them given the black beast is about 20kg heavy?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you